Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unusual US visitor visa situation. Advice welcomed!

Unusual US visitor visa situation. Advice welcomed!

Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unusual US visitor visa situation. Advice welcomed!

Originally Posted by Blu_jz
One other question, if any of my previous record isnt shown on the police certificate, should i still admit to it and be honest or keep quiet.
You are required to disclose the incidents whether they show up on a police certificate or not. They happened... and you can't undo that.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 27th 2017 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Blu_jz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You are required to disclose the incidents whether they show up on a police certificate or not. They happened... and you can't undo that.

Ian
That is what i thought... Maybe me being honest and coming clean may work in my favour.

Thanks again
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Another question that springs to mind, what sort of documents or evidence do they like to see in regards to ties to the uk?

Alex
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Another question that springs to mind, what sort of documents or evidence do they like to see in regards to ties to the uk?

Alex
A recent bank statement that shows active usage is enough. Payslips in addition will be more than fine.

Ian is right by the way - even if your police cert doesn't show your reprimands, you must disclose them anyway.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 10:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That is what i thought... Maybe me being honest and coming clean may work in my favour.

Thanks again
You have no choice but to "come clean". While your police report might not show the juvenile offenses, there will be a notation on it that indicates that something occurred.

Bring the court records with you as a means of explanation as to what the criminal charges were, the penalty and its fulfillment.

Don't run at the mouth during your interview as others have told you to be concise in your reply and only answer what is asked. You don't or shouldn't volunteer that you are going to the US to visit a girlfriend. You are coming to the US for vacation. If asked do you have friends in the US? Yes, I'm going to be seeing them while I'm in Denver. And so on.

Don't over think this and don't play out different scenarios in your mind. It's not the theater and you are not a playwright. They ask a question, you answer the question. Don't lie but don't elaborate as it is not necessary.

BTW you are 27 today and the drug offense was 9 years ago so you were 18 at the time of the offense. Will be interesting to see what is made of that and whether they will treat it as an offense of a minor or an adult.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 27th 2017 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Bring the court records with you as a means of explanation as to what the criminal charges were, the penalty and its fulfillment.
He won't have court records as all of his indiscretions were dealt with by the police.

OP - if you intend on doing this (your ACRO may well come back showing nothing as it was so long ago), you can goto your local police station and request a copy of all records attached to you. This is the closest thing and might prove useful if you aren't sure of exact dates and terminology.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply in such detail! I am incredibly grateful! Judging by the replies i have had it has really made me feel a lot more confident. Thanks again and ill post any other queries that i might need clarifying.

Ill also make sure i let everyone know how i get on!

Thanks again everyone and have a great day!

Alex
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Don't over think this and don't play out different scenarios in your mind. It's not the theater and you are not a playwright.
This is an absolutely brilliant comment!

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

You have no choice but to "come clean". While your police report might not show the juvenile offenses, there will be a notation on it that indicates that something occurred.

Don't run at the mouth during your interview as others have told you to be concise in your reply and only answer what is asked. You don't or shouldn't volunteer that you are going to the US to visit a girlfriend. You are coming to the US for vacation. If asked do you have friends in the US? Yes. , I'm going to be seeing them while I'm in Denver. And so on.

Don't over think this and don't play out different scenarios in your mind. It's not the theater and you are not a playwright. They ask a question, you answer the question. Don't lie but don't elaborate as it is not necessary.

BTW you are 27 today and the drug offense was 9 years ago so you were 18 at the time of the offense. Will be interesting to see what is made of that and whether they will treat it as an offense of a minor or an adult.
FIFY
Old Jul 31st 2017, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Again, thanks so much for all of the replies everyone!

Another question that i have about the actual interview.

What should i refer to the officer as? If he is a male should i call him "sir" or not. Im not sure what they like.

Anyone with any experience please let me know!

Thanks

Alex
Old Jul 31st 2017, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

What should i refer to the officer as? If he is a male should i call him "sir" or not. Im not sure what they like.
Since s/he is in a position of authority, I suggest sir or ma'am as applicable.

Ian
Old Jul 31st 2017, 6:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What would you normally call someone who is in a position of authority and this one in particular who holds the keys to your safe passage in their hands?

As Ian stated, sir or m'am will suffice. That is how I was raised to address someone whom I'm dealing with who I don't know personally. I was taught it was a show of respect (even if not warranted or earned).

Again, thanks so much for all of the replies everyone!

Another question that i have about the actual interview.

Anyone with any experience please let me know!

Thanks

Alex
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that reprimands were given to juveniles for a first offence and only for a first offence. Without demeaning the integrity of your memory is it possible that one of the reprimands was nothing more than a stern off the record talking to?
If it were me I'd be getting a police certificate to see if there is a trace and, more importantly, a disclosure from the local force. I remember getting a free ride in a squad car (back in the '70's) with a lad of similar age who'd attempted to nick my brother's bike (whilst he was sat on it) and I'd assured him that this wasn't the done thing! We both got a good talking to and told to hoppit. Seemed fairly severe at the time but I didn't feel the need to divulge my unrecorded history as an 8 year old.