Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unusual situation - which visa (if any)

Unusual situation - which visa (if any)

Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:19 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unusual situation - which visa (if any)

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Run that by me again.
LOL.

Trust me, Dean, others here can tell you I am FAR more verbose than the posting on this thread!!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:22 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
easily
dont have any technical advice for you - just some emotional! You mention that you want a work visa for 3-5 years. Just keep in mind that you might turn out to love the US (we did) and that if possible keep your options as open as possible so that if you decide you might like to stay - there are still possibilities.
Easily:

Ms.Elui is right. Keep your options open. If you shoot for the E, because it does not so easily convert to LPR, you might not be able to get LPR if you decide you like us and want to stay. Even with the L, you are not compelled to file for LPR until you're ready. Just don't let the L run out on you!

There are other pros and cons which your counsel can discuss with you.

--J
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Just don't let the L run out on you!
What the L? <sorry, just had to!>

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:26 pm
US immigration lawyer.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What the L? <sorry, just had to!>

Ian
You Brits, dropping your "haitches" all over the place!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.

Trust me, Dean, others here can tell you I am FAR more verbose than the posting on this thread!!
I've seen your other great posts, but since I don't have a law degree I give up after the first paragraph!

Still excellent posts, though!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:31 pm
US immigration lawyer.

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I've seen your other great posts, but since I don't have a law degree I give up after the first paragraph!
Aww. And here, I thought I was cutting through the legalese and making it MORE understandable for people!

Well, I shall keep trying.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Aww. And here, I thought I was cutting through the legalese and making it MORE understandable for people!

Well, I shall keep trying.
J:

As we all know, most lawyers don't get it. One of my law school professors was inordinately fond of the phrase "The law is a seamless web." He obviously knew nothing about immigration law. But on the other hand, I will never, ever, forget Peeveyhouse v. Peabody Coal -- I remember it better than Carbolic Smokeball!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 10:00 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
J:

As we all know, most lawyers don't get it. One of my law school professors was inordinately fond of the phrase "The law is a seamless web." He obviously knew nothing about immigration law. But on the other hand, I will never, ever, forget Peeveyhouse v. Peabody Coal -- I remember it better than Carbolic Smokeball!
carbolic soapball - i remember studying that one when i did my Law a-level!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
J:
... Peeveyhouse v. Peabody Coal -- I remember it better than Carbolic Smokeball!
I must read that.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:14 am
Just Joined

easilyconfused is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your help and advice. We have spent the weekend compiling a short list of potential destinations and our first point of action is to go out and have a good look around and decide where we want to live and where is the best place to locate the business. On our return we will be investigating visa routes with earnest and will be appointing immigration attorneys to assist with the move.

Thank you all again for your helpful responses.