Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unusal situation: Entering USA by Car

Unusal situation: Entering USA by Car

Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:06 am
Just Joined

enmgs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unusal situation: Entering USA by Car

Hi guys,

I am a British citizen living in Canada as a permanent resident. I was planning to visit Vermont this weekend by Car with my friend. Initially, I was under the impression that I don't have to get ESTA and all I have to fill was I-94W form at the border crossing.

This is all ok but today by chance I downloaded and read the I-94W form and came across the question F on the form which is.....
F. Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa or entry into the U.S. or had a
U.S. visa cancelled?

If you answered “Yes” to any of the above (includes question F), please contact the American Embassy BEFORE you travel to the U.S. since you may be refused admission into the United States.

In my case, originally I had an Indian citizenship and I was refused a student visa in 2002. I eventually moved and settled in the UK and even once traveled to the USA on a tourist visa in 2009. I later acquired UK citizenship and never traveled to USA on the british passport so far.

Now I am afraid that I will be refused entry to the USA if try to cross the border by car due to my student visa refusal. I am not sure how contacting American embassy will help. They might just ask me to apply for a tourist visa again. I can always apply for ESTA first to check but not sure if that will be valid for travel by car.

Has any one else been in similar situation? I was reading some threads where people have mentioned that now ESTA is being accepted at the border crossings. If that is true then I can apply for ESTA first and if authorised then I can proceed with my travel plans.

I will really appreciate any help/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by enmgs; Jun 27th 2014 at 3:40 am.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:15 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unusal situation: Entering USA by Car

I cant help you with most of your questions, except ESTA.

Last time we drove over the boarder we were told that we should have applied for ESTA prior to crossing, and to do so before we next came over.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks, may be that might be the only good option in my case. I hope all the borders are asking for ESTA nowadays.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As this is a US immigration query, I'll move it to that part of the forum, where I'm sure the lovely folks there will be able to help.

Good luck.

Old Jun 27th 2014, 11:06 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You can seek entry, disclose the previous visa denial on the green form, and let the chips fall where they may. Being refused a visa for suspected immigrant intent doesn't make you ineligible for VWP.

You could seek an ESTA and it may be approved after a delay, but if the ESTA is denied then you'll be required to obtain a visa before seeking entry even if it's by land.

An approved ESTA can be used at land crossings to skip the green form but that's about it. You still have to pay the $6 and a white form is issued.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Is the tourist visa in you Indian passport still valid?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:02 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Is the tourist visa in you Indian passport still valid?
Wouldn't India consider the passport invalid once the person became British? That's visa in the old passport is only sufficient if both passports indicate the same nationality.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Wouldn't India consider the passport invalid once the person became British? That's visa in the old passport is only sufficient if both passports indicate the same nationality.
Not sure, Indian citizenship rules are complex and I think they changed recently to allow dual citizenship.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

maulajatt is an unknown quantity at this point

No, India does not recognize dual citizenship. Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) and Person of Indian Origin (PIO) Visas are often incorrectly described as offering "dual citizenship."
Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Not sure, Indian citizenship rules are complex and I think they changed recently to allow dual citizenship.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Correct. Indian citizenship is lost once another citizenship is obtained.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by maulajatt
No, India does not recognize dual citizenship. Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) and Person of Indian Origin (PIO) Visas are often incorrectly described as offering "dual citizenship."
Ok, thanks for clarifying.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Ok guys, an update here. This morning I decided to go ahead with my ESTA application. I applied and got pending authorisation for around 8 hours but I finally got it approved. So I am really happy about it. I am now considering to proceed with my travel plans.
However, as you guys know that ESTA does not mean a guaranteed entry to the USA so I am keeping my fingers crossed that at the border they consider ESTA and my earlier visa refusal does not cause any problems and they let me travel further.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

While there are never any guarantees, you should be just fine - don't worry about it.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks