Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefit on a Green Card?

Unemployment benefit on a Green Card?

Old Jun 10th 2001, 10:18 pm
Greg

Am I correct in thinking that the Republicans revoked the right of green card holders
to collect unemployment benefit when between jobs? Thanks

Old Jun 10th 2001, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Papeteebooh is an unknown quantity at this point

For some types of adjustment of status, the INS request an affidavis of support. My understanding of this is that should you be in position to require ANY form of public assistance they can either deny if from you or make your spronsor pay for it.

But you should check
Old Jun 10th 2001, 11:20 pm
Greg

Hi Papeteebooh;

I don't understand; what sponsor? I have a GC now.

Papeteebooh wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 11th 2001, 12:34 am
Mark Carroll

[usenetquote2]>> For some types of adjustment of status, the INS request an affidavis of support.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> My understanding of this is that should you be in position to require ANY form[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> of public assistance they can either deny if from you or make your spronsor pay[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> for it.[/usenetquote2]
(snip)

I don't think it applies to quite all forms of public assistance. The I-864 will
say, though.

-- Mark

Old Jun 11th 2001, 1:18 am
Joachim Feise

Greg wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

For familiy-based immigration, the sponsor has to submit an affidavit of support. In
it, the sponsor agrees to support the immigrant so he or she does not become a public
charge. This is different from unemployment benefits, though. People who have been
employed can get unemployment benefits when between jobs. This also applies for
Permanent Residents. Check the website of your state's employment agency.

-Joe

Old Jun 11th 2001, 3:38 am
Greg

Thanks Joachim This is the question I was getting at. It sounds like it's on a
state-for-state basis, but I certainly remember in the news a few years ago congress
passing some law that precluded green card holders from collecting unemployment
benefit on the basis that they are not meant to be unemployed. At the same time,
there was a rush from green card holders to become citizens not to loose out on the
benefits. Either that, or my memory is going...

Joachim Feise wrote:

>
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Hi Papeteebooh;[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I don't understand; what sponsor? I have a GC now.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 11th 2001, 5:30 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Greg wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Here is an article on the issue of *which* public benefits are on the list of those
for which "nonqualified aliens" are *not* eligible. There are general rules for
federal benefits, and state-by-state rules for state benefits.

http://www.iog.unc.edu/pubs/electron...ns/pg/immi.htm

There have been recent changes in the definition of which aliens are qualified, and
also changes in the list of public benefits which nonqualified aliens can receive.

I have never seen unemployment benefits placed on the list of public benefits for
which nonqualified aliens are not eligible.

>
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Greg wrote:[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I don't understand; what sponsor? I have a GC now.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > For familiy-based immigration, the sponsor has to submit an affidavit of support.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > In it, the sponsor agrees to support the immigrant so he or she does not become a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > public charge. This is different from unemployment benefits, though. People who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have been employed can get unemployment benefits when between jobs. This also[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > applies for Permanent Residents. Check the website of your state's employment[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > agency.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 11th 2001, 8:48 pm
Aleksey Mikhaylov

>
    >

Probably, this is because unemployment benefits are not public-funded. The source of
unemployment benefits is the unemployment insurance collected from both employers and
employees. People who collect unemployment benefits are not ripping off taxpayers.

Old Jun 17th 2001, 12:42 pm
PRW

Unemployment compensation is not a "means tested" welfare benefit. It is an
insurance. The laws differ state by state.

>
    >