Ukrainian right to live overseas?

Old Nov 25th 2003, 5:36 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ukrainian right to live overseas?

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
Damn, I didn't know the thread was that old. What was Daxpeace thinking....
The little dipshit.

HAHAHA

I thought dipshit was a southern colloquialism.

Leslie
Old Nov 25th 2003, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Leslie66
HAHAHA

Leslie
If you only knew where I've lived in my life.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 5:50 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Leslie66
HAHAHA

Leslie
Nope, we have dipshit(s) up here too, in the frigid Chicago area!

~SG
(Day 180, NSC.......the waiting continues.......)
5/29/03 1st NOA for I129f (K1)
Old Nov 25th 2003, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

Interestingly, my wife tells me that they are talking about changing the law (rule, regulation, whatever) in the Russian Federation that allows Russian expats to retain their Russian citizenship when they become a citizen of another country. She is very concerned about it because it will make it more difficult, make that much more difficult, to visit her family, not to mention more costly because she will then need to apply (and pay) for a visa each time she wants to visit. She seems to think it is a money-maker for the government since there are so many Russian citizens living abroad. That is the word on the street anyway. I don't know where they are in the process, but I'll try to find out.

Richard III

Originally posted by violator_dm
You're right. Ukraine is WAY behind Russia, they're still stuck in the Soviet era.

If they're any close to being as sensible as possible (as the Russian embassy in D.C.) a Ukrainian can go to the embassy and get the official consular stamp (konsulski uchet) that would prove PMZ in a given country (the US). After that she's relatively free to travel to Ukraine. Alternatively you can go to Russia and meet her friends there. TRUST ME, you'll avoid a whole bunch of hussle. Russia is more open, there's more to do and it's more fun (no offence to the Ukrainians). My USC girlfriend SWORE never to go to or through the Ukraine because of the customs and passports control officers' treatment of people (even US citizens).

So just call the Ukrainian embassy (or go there if you get a chance) to clarify the matter. Good Luck!

P.S. Your Ukrainian wife will loose her citizenship upon becoming a USC. Per current Ukrainian law
Old Nov 25th 2003, 6:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
Damn, I didn't know the thread was that old. What was Daxpeace thinking....
The little dipshit.
Um, because he had an answer to the post and a question of his own to pose... ?
He might've thought it beneficial to thread off of a person from the same region that he's investigating?

"dipshit" is a term I'll reserve for our poster from Tacoma.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 6:37 am
Ilynat

> If they're any close to being as sensible as possible (as the Russian
    > embassy in D.C.) a Ukrainian can go to the embassy and get the official
    > consular stamp (konsulski uchet) that would prove PMZ in a given country
    > (the US). After that she's relatively free to travel to Ukraine.
    > Alternatively you can go to Russia and meet her friends there. TRUST ME,
    > you'll avoid a whole bunch of hussle. Russia is more open, there's more
    > to do and it's more fun (no offence to the Ukrainians). My USC
    > girlfriend SWORE never to go to or through the Ukraine because of the
    > customs and passports control officers' treatment of people (even US
    > citizens).
    >
    >
    >
    > So just call the Ukrainian embassy (or go there if you get a chance) to
    > clarify the matter. Good Luck!
    >
    >
    >
    > P.S. Your Ukrainian wife will loose her citizenship upon becoming a
    > USC. Per current Ukrainian law

The Ukraine embassy is particularly unhelpful on this and will not
issue PMZ stamps. You will be told it must be handled by OVIR when
you return home.

I'm Ukrainian and came here in 1996 for a 1-year program. My husband
and I met and married in late 1997. A year later when returning home
to visit, my Ukraine passport had been cancelled (as were all
Soviet-style passports issued by Ukraine through 1996) and I was told
I would have to obtain a new one before leaving. The local OVIR
director said I had to have a new internal passport (even though she
knew I was married to a USC and permanently living overseas) before a
new external passport would be issued. Two weeks later, on the last
day of our visit, I was handed my new passport, having spent $700 in
bribes and 'expediting fees' to local officials. No PMZ stamp was in
the passport but I had no problems going through Passport Control at
the airport, with my American husband at my side. We decided not to
return until I could enter as a USC.

I was naturalized as a USC in October 2002 and will be returning home
to visit at Christmastime this year, a full five years since I've seen
my family.

The Ukraine embassy and it's staff is of little help unless it is an
issue from which some profit can be extracted.

Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:36 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SecretGarden
Um....has anyone noticed that the original post was from March of 2003?

~SG
(Day 180, NSC)
oopps noo..
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:24 am
Andrew Defaria

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
David9287 wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]">Two
weeks later, on the last day of our visit, I was handed my new
passport, having spent $700 in bribes and 'expediting fees' to local
officials. </blockquote>
Look at the bright side! At least you <font color="#ff0000"><b>can</b>
</font>bribe the officials and get things expeditated!&nbsp;<span
class="moz-smiley-s1"><span> :-) </span></span> (or should that be a <span
class="moz-smiley-s2"><span> :-( </span></span>)<br>
-- <br>
I was once walking through the forest alone. A tree fell right in front
of me -- and I didn't hear it.<br>
</body>
</html>

Old Nov 29th 2003, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

alex_lg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by violator_dm
You're right. Ukraine is WAY behind Russia, they're still stuck in the Soviet era.

If they're any close to being as sensible as possible (as the Russian embassy in D.C.) a Ukrainian can go to the embassy and get the official consular stamp (konsulski uchet) that would prove PMZ in a given country (the US). After that she's relatively free to travel to Ukraine. Alternatively you can go to Russia and meet her friends there. TRUST ME, you'll avoid a whole bunch of hussle. Russia is more open, there's more to do and it's more fun (no offence to the Ukrainians). My USC girlfriend SWORE never to go to or through the Ukraine because of the customs and passports control officers' treatment of people (even US citizens).

So just call the Ukrainian embassy (or go there if you get a chance) to clarify the matter. Good Luck!

P.S. Your Ukrainian wife will loose her citizenship upon becoming a USC. Per current Ukrainian law

------------------------------------------------------
Hello All,

Either my family is too lucky or you all are thinking too hard about this PMZ.

My wife is a Ukrainian citizen and a landed immigrant in Canada since 99 (equivalent of a permanent resident in the U.S.)

She went back to the Ukraine to visit her folks so many times that I have lost counts.

She never dealt with PMZ. All she's got is a passport for foreign travel (vs. a passport for domestic ID purpose).

She is keeping her last name as well.

In a country where many people are trying to make their ends meet, I doubt an immigration official cares whether you want to change your last name to that of your husband or you have a stamp indicating you might have immigrated to another country. Can they even keep track of all the different kinds of stamps from all over the world? Not likely.

We also have a U.S. born child. He has his own U.S. passport. He's is also on his mother's Ukrainian passport. He comes and goes to Ukraine as a Ukrainian citizen and returns to the U.S. as an American. Never a problem. Again, he's only a toddler. U.S. law doesn't touch upon dual citizenship and Ukraine so far allows minors to have other citizenship.

My understanding is that realistically if you are male and around the draft age, then you worry about PMZ. I know that Russia does keep a close eye on males around the draft age even for an expat who have naturalized to become a U.S. citizen. As far as they are concerned, there is no such thing as giving up your Russian citizenship. Once a Russian, forever! Yes, one has raised his right hand and sworn to renouce his allegiance for his former government when becoming a U.S. citizen. However, as far as the Russian is concerned, that's between this person and Uncle Sam. When he's in Russia, he CANNOT tell the Russian gov that the U.S. law supercedes! We have a draft age Russian friend who's been applying for PMZ repeatedly for years but still hasn't gotten it. The Russian gov keeps losing his fileSSSS somehow (or perhaps on purpose?!). For me that's just a sign of 'come home baby, we need soldiers in Chechnya!'

However, that's Russia. As far as the Ukrainian gov is concerned, when a grown up adult naturalizes to become an American, your Ukrainian citizenship is gone.

Anyway, babies, wifes, elderlies or anyone who cannot fight a war for them... who cares! For the meager wages those immigration people in Ukraine earn, do they really want to incur more work upon themselves for a stupid piece of paper called PMZ from the Soviet Era?! What's the benefits for them?

My 2 cents...
Alex
Old Nov 30th 2003, 1:54 pm
Dreamer

OlenkaKyiv will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Mrtravel
Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> dutchman2001nl wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone tell me, what the hell is an EXIT visa....?
    >> Some countries require a visa to EXIT it ??
    >
    >
    > Yes they do. Otherwise nobody would live there! :-)

Is this still required for Ukraine citizens?

All you need in Russia an international passport and documents that
indicate you would be able to enter the country you are traveling to.
In Russia, my daughter uses her Russian passport to enter the country
and only had to show the airline her US passport. She only shows her
Russian passport to exit control (or whatever they call ig) on the way out.
I wonder how it is possible to have 2 passports at once??? It means having 2 citizenships or illegal possession of one of passports.

Olenka
Old Nov 30th 2003, 2:03 pm
Dreamer

OlenkaKyiv will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by David9287

Hello,
I contacted the Ukrainian Consulate in DC the other day and the officer told me to contact the Office of Internal Relations in Ukraine. The consular officer told me that there was NO problem traveling in or out of Ukraine without the PMZ! She told me the PMZ is used for the renewal of passports and adding passport pages. She recomended that we/she apply and obtain the PMZ before she leaves the country on her K-1 Visa. If she comes to the US without the PMZ she will have to return to Ukraine to renew or add passport pages. If she obtains the PMZ prior to leaving Ukraine she can renew...et via the Ukrainian Consulate in DC. I will have my fiance'e contact the OIR an look into this process.
It is funny, but before I left Kiev, Ukraine, I went to OVIR and asked about PMZ stamp and I was told that I will get it only in case having immigrant visa (it is not K1 with which I left). Moreover PMZ needs to be unfilled from my apartment what I didn't want to do as it is one of the way to safe my part of property being overseas.
I was told also that PMZ is not so important lately, but some people can get in trouble of this. As everything is in Ukraine, it depends on person you will have a deal with!

Olenka
Old Nov 30th 2003, 3:46 pm
Mrt

OlenkaKyiv wrote:

> I wonder how it is possible to have 2 passports at once??? It means
    > having 2 citizenships or illegal possession of one of passports.
    >
    >

It is possible to have multiple citizenships. The legallity of it
depends on the countries involved. For instance if you want to keep
German citizenship, I believe there is a process you have to go through
before you get your US citizenship. FWIW, my daughter is legally a US
and Russian citizen. My coworker is legally a US, UK, and South African
citizen.