Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Police Certificate, how to get from the USA

UK Police Certificate, how to get from the USA

Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

davewilliams will become famous soon enoughdavewilliams will become famous soon enough
Default UK Police Certificate, how to get from the USA

I need a new police records check as the one I used for my K3 is now too old.

I have the form, but haven't found a way to pay the GBP10 fee from the USA. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance
Dave
Old Jul 1st 2005, 4:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Police Certificate, how to get from the USA

You got a UK bank account? then write a cheque...otherwise I'm sure you can get a bankers draft...
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:46 am
Lansbury

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:37:15 +0000, davewilliams
<member7989@british_expats.com> wrote:

>I need a new police records check as the one I used for my K3 is
    >now too old.
    >I have the form, but haven't found a way to pay the GBP10 fee from the
    >USA. Does anyone have any suggestions?

When a friend in South Africa wanted hers, she sent me the completed forms and
when I got those I put a cheque for £10 and sent then in. (Actually I took
them to the office as it was then a few floors below mine).

Do you have a friend in the UK who could help you. They will not see the
result, that is sent straight back to you.

-
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

Old Jul 1st 2005, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Hammer10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kent Police allow payment by credit card. There is a section on the form where you enter all those details then sign to say you authorise them to charge your card.

Each Constabulary has its own version of the form but I'm sure if Kent allows payment by card then they probably all do.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hammer10
Kent Police allow payment by credit card. There is a section on the form where you enter all those details then sign to say you authorise them to charge your card.

Each Constabulary has its own version of the form but I'm sure if Kent allows payment by card then they probably all do.
I think you also need to show your residency, I am sure I was asked for a Utility bill.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think you also need to show your residency, I am sure I was asked for a Utility bill.
hmmm
We were not in the UK when the DAH ordered his.. mum wrote the cheque for him (they did not accept credit card payment back then but may now), but we spoke with/emailed the Data Protection Officer ahead of time regarding ID etc. Looking at the Met's application form that we used, ID includes:

What you need to complete your application:
Payment: The processing charge is £10.00 sterling.
We accept cheques or postal orders made payable to ‘The Metropolitan Police Authority’.
Please note that the Metropolitan Police Service does not accept the Euro or overseas postal orders, and does not recommend the sending of cash by post.

Proof of identity: To confirm your identity we need to see document(s), which show your full name date of birth and current address. Acceptable documents include:
 Passport
 Current passport;
 Credit card/bank statement;
 Utility bill;
 Medical Card; or
 Driving Licence.
We will only accept original documents.
Photocopies are NOT acceptable.
Documentation will be returned to you by post.
If you have any questions or problems completing the form please contact us on (UK) 020 7230 4143.

After speaking with the officer, we were allowed to send a photocopy of the passport. I can't remember what the 2nd piece of ID was though!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:51 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I was outside of the UK when I applied for mine, living in Spain. I got my parents to do a cheque for me and I used my Spanish utility bills and a notorised copy of my passport for ID. Having spoken to the Met, who I had to go through, they were adamant they wouldn't accept any photocopies.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davewilliams

I have the form, but haven't found a way to pay the GBP10 fee from the USA. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance
Dave
Hi:

As per the DOS "reciprocity table" on the UK:

"Available. Immigrant visa applicants who have resided in the United Kingdom for six months or more since the age of sixteen are required to obtain a statement from the National Identification Service, Subject Access Office, Room 331, New Scotland Yard, Broadway, London SW1 OBG.

This statement will serve to advise the consular office whether or not any criminal conviction is held against the applicant. The National Identification Service does not accept applications from individual applicants; the request must be made through local police. By law, it can take up to 40 days to receive a response. The fee for this service is 10 British Pounds Sterling.

Persons resident outside the United Kingdom should write to the Data Processing Officer of the police authority where they last resided in the United Kingdom to obtain the appropriate application form. Residents of the United Kingdom should apply to their local police station where they may obtain the application form. When completing the application form, the applicable category is “Prosecution/Conviction History�. The local police (or data protection officer), will submit the application to the National Identification Service and the response to the application will be sent directly to the applicant.

Applicants are legally entitled to gain access to the information about themselves under Section 7 of the British Data Protection Act, 1998."

You just may want to do an adjustment of status rather than an IV application to avoid the problem!
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 2:47 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I e mailed the Met at Scotland Yard. They e mailed me the forms back and I wrote a UK check and sent back with the forms. I explained I was a UK citizen in the USA and they replied with attached forms to complete and mail to them. Here is their e mail address:

mailbox.internet@ met.police.uk

I got the e mail address from the met web site:

http://www.met.police.uk/

I think the forms are also downloadable too, but I wasn't sure which is why I e mailed them.

http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/forms.htm

Hope this helps

Maggie

Originally Posted by davewilliams

Many thanks in advance
Dave