Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Married to US - Do I need to inform UK I am living in US?

UK Married to US - Do I need to inform UK I am living in US?

Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:42 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Married to US - Do I need to inform UK I am living in US?

Hi,

Our background is - Came to the US on a visitors Visa Waiver , I am a UK National and after deciding that we couldnt bear to be apart, I married my now US husband. We are going through the Adjustment of Status I-485 procedure.
My question is, who do I need to advise in the UK that I am living in the US?
We would like to live in the UK for a few years after I have gone through the US naturalisation procedure (so in about 3 to 4 years) We both plan to work in the UK, pay taxes, buy our own home etc. There is no question of our trying to defraud the system by claiming any benefits. How difficult is it likely to be to get a visa for my husband to live in the UK?
Thanks for any advise you can give.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Married to US - Do I need to inform UK I am living in US?

Originally Posted by Kate2112

We would like to live in the UK for a few years after I have gone through the US naturalisation procedure (so in about 3 to 4 years)
count on longer than that..........

I did what you are doing in 2000.
just removed conditions from my greencard.

Be under no illusions it is a long drawn out process.
I think you wont be able to apply for citizenship earliest 5/6 years in reality.

and no, The UK don't need to know your whereabouts. They recommend letting the embassy know, but there is no law for it.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interested to hear other answers about who you need to inform in the UK that you are living in the US, as that was a question I never really got an answer to when I left the UK. Hopefully I didn't overlook anything! I must have notified the Inland Revenue at some point because I remember receiving a tax refund check a few months after I arrived here. I returned my driving license which I didn't really need to do but at the time I couldn't imagine ever needing it again. I have been called up for jury duty, sent to my parents' addressed. They replied saying I no longer live in the UK. Not sure if I should have done something differently before leaving to avoid that.

Regarding getting a visa for your husband to return to the UK, that should not be a problem. That is what I will be doing for my USC wife about a year and a half from now. The UK process is SO much simpler than what you are going through with USCIS. You can get a spouse visa same day in person or within five days by mail so long as you have proof of residence and support in the UK.

Do you plan to settle in the UK? You say "for a few years" but also that you will buy a house there. I'm guessing you're not too desperate to leave the US as you sound happy to wait three or four years?
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Be under no illusions it is a long drawn out process.
I think you wont be able to apply for citizenship earliest 5/6 years in reality.
Yeah, probably over five years. What is the current processing time for adjustment of status? The "resident since date" on the green card is the date it is issued, not the date you apply (for me it was about six months after the application was sent). Three years from that date is when you can apply for citizenship (you can actually submit the application 90 days before it expires) and then wait 1 - 2 years depending on which office you're dealing with.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeremai
Yeah, probably over five years. What is the current processing time for adjustment of status? The "resident since date" on the green card is the date it is issued, not the date you apply (for me it was about six months after the application was sent). Three years from that date is when you can apply for citizenship (you can actually submit the application 90 days before it expires) and then wait 1 - 2 years depending on which office you're dealing with.
If Nebraska SC then you could murder someone and be out on parole before they adjusted your status I think.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:06 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

I am quite happy to live in the US for 4/5 years if needs be, as long as we can visit the UK (US husband loves English Theatre...crazy lunatic lol). We would like to be able to live in either country ideally, spending a few years here and a few years in England and so on..
So glad to hear the immigration process in the UK will be easier, US system is a little long winded to say the least
Should I apply for a tax rebate? Left the UK on 30th March 05, got married in June 05 and living in the US. Thanks again
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:15 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I am quite happy to live in the US for 4/5 years if needs be, as long as we can visit the UK (US husband loves English Theatre...crazy lunatic lol). We would like to be able to live in either country ideally, spending a few years here and a few years in England and so on..
So glad to hear the immigration process in the UK will be easier, US system is a little long winded to say the least
Should I apply for a tax rebate? Left the UK on 30th March 05, got married in June 05 and living in the US. Thanks again

You probably won't get a tax rebate as you happen to have left in the final month of the UK Tax Year! Unless you were on an emergency tax code.

You might want to let them know at the Electoral Register so you don't get called up for Jury Duty. Though they send a form every year to verify who is living at your address and you would eventually be removed from the roll, but to avoid getting Jury Duty in the few months after you've moved you might want to ring the local council to tell them.

Other than that I can't think that you need to inform anyone. You might want to keep your bank account open for your eventual return to the UK.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:58 am
Junior Showtime

My UK accounts are still open and I have been advised to contact the DWP to check on my Retirement Pension and National Insurance voluntary contributions while out of the UK. Thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:29 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

My UK accounts are still open and I have been advised to contact the DWP to check on my Retirement Pension and National Insurance voluntary contributions while out of the UK. Thanks
Here's who I contacted when I left the UK. I simply told them my situation
ie going to UK to begin a job with a US employer and my new address in the USA

Inland Revenue
DHSS (this was 18 years ago). Its advisable to keep up NI payments, you can do Class II.
Local Electoral Registry
Keep your UK bank accounts open just in case.
Let banks etc know where to send statements (usually a UK address like you parents)
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nun
Its advisable to keep up NI payments, you can do Class II.
I have not kept up my NI payments. What does this mean for me when I go back?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeremai
I have not kept up my NI payments. What does this mean for me when I go back?
You won't get credit for the years you miss when you retire.

Easy to fix though - you can make up the missed payments within a certain timeframe. All you have to fill in a form to apply to pay Class 2 NI contributions and set up a direct debit from your UK bank account.

Have a look here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Dl1/Directo...Contacts/fs/en