UK citizen to move to the US

Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

littleh0lly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen to move to the US

Hi everyone,

I'm guessing you get a lot of these posts, but I really don't know where to even begin.

I'm a UK Citizen and i've been making trips over to the US to see my boyfriend. There is a possibility that I will marry this man in the future. I've obviously been thinking about the logistics of getting over there and becoming a US citizen. Where would I even begin? I really have no idea. Would we get married first and then apply for a green card? I really don't know how it works.

If someone could explain the ins and outs to me, that would be great.

Last edited by littleh0lly; Jun 9th 2011 at 8:42 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen to move to the US

Originally Posted by littleh0lly
Hi everyone,

I'm guessing you get a lot of these posts, but I really don't know where to even begin.

I'm a UK Citizen and i've been making trips over to the US to see my boyfriend. I know that I want to marry this man in the future. I've obviously been thinking about the logistics of getting over there and becoming a US citizen. Where would I even begin? I really have no idea. Would we get married first and then apply for a green card? I really don't know how it works.

If someone could explain the ins and outs to me, that would be great.
Hi and Welcome to BE.

You can do it either way....marry now (either in the USA or UK...USA is easier) and do a spouse Immigrant Visa, or remain engaged and do a K-1 fiance visa (marry in the USA later).

Please see this comparison chart which explains the differences: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas

A few questions to ask yourself to help make the decision:

1. Do you prefer to live separately as a married couple or engaged couple?
2. Where do you prefer to have the marriage take place?
3. How important is it to have work authorization right away after you arrive in the USA?

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleh0lly
... thinking about the logistics of getting over there and becoming a US citizen.

Would we get married first and then apply for a green card? I really don't know how it works.
Just to let you know how the green card and citizenship come into the picture, here's how it works:

1. You apply for a visa to come to the USA (either one of the two I mentioned).

2. You become a US Permanent Resident (i.e., you get your green card). How long this takes depends on the type of visa you use to enter the USA.

3. After you've been married to your USC spouse for 3 years, AND have been a US PR for 3 years, then you can apply for US Citizenship.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:01 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

There are other options, but to give you a personal example:

Applied for a K-1 (fiancee visa) in Britain, the process involves the US citizen (now my wife) sending in a petition/application which also shows that financially she can support me (more or less that she has a job). I go for an interview in London and have a medical. They give me a visa, and I fly out and have 90 days to get married. After the marriage, more forms to change my status to a 'resident' so I get a green card and can stay. After two years more forms and another interview to renew the green card and make my permanent residence, truly permanent. After another year I have the option to apply for citizenship if I wish, I have not done so, I can live here without having citizenship.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung
There are other options, but to give you a personal example:

Applied for a K-1 (fiancee visa) in Britain, the process involves the US citizen (now my wife) sending in a petition/application which also shows that financially she can support me (more or less that she has a job). I go for an interview in London and have a medical. They give me a visa, and I fly out and have 90 days to get married. After the marriage, more forms to change my status to a 'resident' so I get a green card and can stay. After two years more forms and another interview to renew the green card and make my permanent residence, truly permanent. After another year I have the option to apply for citizenship if I wish, I have not done so, I can live here without having citizenship.
Thank you for sharing your example. Just for the sake of clarification, I have a few comments:

1. The I-129F petition does not include proof that she can support you financially. Although that does have to be submitted at a later stage (the interview).

2. The 2-year green card and 10-year green card both carry "permanent" residency. I knew what you meant, but a newbie might not. Also there is rarely an interview for removing the conditions to get the 10-year card. Interesting that you had one...either USCIS had some doubts, or you were just a lucky one who got pulled for quality control.

Rene