UK citizen married US resident

Old Apr 1st 2002, 10:35 am
Brit

Default UK citizen married US resident

I am a UK citizen married to a US resident (3 years from citizenship), we got married
without realising the difficulties that would cause in trying to get a visa for me to
visit and then adjust status (We were given the wrong advise by a lawyer, she said
marriage would make no difference and I would be able to get a 6 month visa).

I have been in the US for 3 months (and on and off for 9 months in the last year) and
have to leave as my visa waiver (3 months is over). I tried to find a job (No H1B
sponsorship) at the moment. Will I be allowed back into USA on the Visa Waiver
program? How long should I leave it before trying to return? I am at my wits end as
you can imagine.

Any advise would be wonderful, I can only find information for US Citizens. For PR's
the wait appears to be at least 5 years, and we cannot visit in the mean time. Thanks

Old Apr 1st 2002, 1:05 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: UK citizen married US resident

Brit wrote:
    > I have been in the US for 3 months (and on and off for 9 months in the last year)
    > and have to leave as my visa waiver (3 months is over). I tried to find a job (No
    > H1B sponsorship) at the moment. Will I be allowed back into USA on the Visa Waiver
    > program? How long should I leave it before trying to return? I am at my wits end as
    > you can imagine. Any advise would be wonderful, I can only find information for US
    > Citizens. For PR's the wait appears to be at least 5 years, and we cannot visit in
    > the mean time.

there are no hard and fast rules about how often you can use the visa waiver, however
each time you enter, the odds go up that the officer at the port of entry may deny
entry. It is basically a crap shoot. bring as much documentation as you can muster
that will show that you will return home is my advice. Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org