Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Two questions about Adjustment of Status times

Two questions about Adjustment of Status times

Old Jun 21st 2001, 4:58 am
Noah Spamless

Surfing various immigration sites I noticed that AOS processing times vary a lot. Why
is that? Presumably, they should be at steady-state, and they know how many cases
they have to process every year -- no more than the visa numbers available. What do
they have to gain by taking so long?

Another question: what determines which INS office one can submit the AOS
documentation? San Jose takes three years, and Philadelphia takes three months. Why
isn't everyone applying in Philadelphia? (of course, if they all were, Philadelphia
would also take three years!)

Old Jun 21st 2001, 6:22 am
John Kao

The AOS processing times are there for reference only. It just tells you the received
date of the cases in which the INS is working on. It it not really exact.

Sometimes it would go backward, maybe because INS had a batch of cases which it put
off for some reason, and they revisit the cases after several months later.

For example: the CSC date last month for I485 application was 12/00, but my friends
submitted his in 9/00, and it is still not approved. The reason: It got sent to local
office for interview.

If you look at the dates now, I think it actually went backward to 1999. I guess it
is just FYI, and not really something to count on.

As for the local office, unless all who applied move to Philidelphia first, you can't
really submit it there. The local office has the juridication. Just like if you are
living in LA, you would not call NYPD for help, you would call LAPD, right ?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >