Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Two part question... one for you Brits :))

Two part question... one for you Brits :))

Old May 12th 2002, 1:20 am
Jeffrey Scharpf

Default Two part question... one for you Brits :))

Hi again My fiance is going to be here with me (finally!) on May 14. She has to
take a bus from Romania to the Budapest Airport, and is Flying British Airways from
Budapest to London 8:45 AM, then changing at london (2.5 hr layover) and flying from
London to Chicago 12:20 PM landing at 3:05 PM..

The first part of my question is for anyone familiar with the London Heathrow
airport.

My fiance is nervous because she will have a 3 year old child with her, and she is
afraid he may get kind of nervous... I told her that I'm sure she can just tell the
person at the checkin or the attendant about this and they will help her.. When she
gets to London Heathrow, what is the process like? Will it be easy for her to find
her way off of one plane to the next? She speaks and reads excellent English.... I
told her just to keep asking questions.. she is a little paranoid as she has never
flown internationally..She asked me if there is a "Mcdonalds" at Heathrow.. ..This
is the only fast food restaurant she knows of in Romania .. I told her they must
have something where she can give her son some food.. LOL.. and I'm sure they'll give
her a meal on the flight to Chicago.. ?

the second part has to do with Ohare.. I've flown out of Ohare several times but
never have I waited there to greet someone for an international flight. What is the
procedure for her when she lands from the moment she gets off the plane to when she's
in my arms?

Just looking for experiences and advice

Thanks!

Jeff

Old May 12th 2002, 3:20 am
Xtrynytix

Default Re: Two part question... one for you Brits :))

Hiya,

Yes there is a McDonalds at Heathrow )

Good Luck!

Becki

Old May 12th 2002, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Fran is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeff

If your fiance can speak and read excellent English she will be absolutely fine, there is a McDonalds at Heathrow and I wish I could give you directions but it just won't come to me now, but when she checks in if she asks the check in staff they will direct her - also she shouldn't have any problems getting from one plane to another and she will definitely get a meal on the international flight across the pond.

All the best to you guys - you will soon be feeling the happiness that we are now I had my interview for the K1 in London on March 26th and we were married here in Florida April 25th.

Good luck!!!

Fran
Old May 12th 2002, 9:20 am
Jim Lockwood

I have always found Heathrow to be well signposted, and easy enough to get around
(even though it's big).

I flew into Chicago recently (on my way to Cincinnati), and found the immigration
officers to be extremely efficient (but bossy, almost aggressive about which line to
be in, which forms to have ready etc). I stress, however, that I was only on holiday,
and had a visa waiver form.

Now Philadelphia airport... that's another matter. Is it just me, or is that place a
total nightmare?

Jim

"Jeffrey Scharpf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi again My fiance is going to be here with me (finally!) on May 14. She has to
    > take a bus from Romania to the Budapest Airport, and is Flying British Airways from
    > Budapest to London 8:45 AM, then changing at london (2.5 hr layover) and flying
    > from London to Chicago 12:20 PM landing at 3:05 PM..
    >
    > The first part of my question is for anyone familiar with the London Heathrow
    > airport.
    >
    > My fiance is nervous because she will have a 3 year old child with her, and she is
    > afraid he may get kind of nervous... I told her that I'm sure she can just tell the
    > person at the checkin or the attendant about this and they will help her.. When she
    > gets to London Heathrow, what is the process like? Will it be easy for her to find
    > her way off of one plane to the next? She speaks and reads excellent English.... I
    > told her just to keep asking questions.. she is a little paranoid as she has never
    > flown internationally..She asked me if there is a "Mcdonalds" at Heathrow..
    > ..This is the only fast food restaurant she knows of in Romania .. I told her
    > they must have something where she can give her son some food.. LOL.. and I'm sure
    > they'll give her a meal on the flight to Chicago.. ?
    >
    >
    > the second part has to do with Ohare.. I've flown out of Ohare several times but
    > never have I waited there to greet someone for an international flight. What is the
    > procedure for her when she lands from the moment she gets off the plane to when
    > she's in my arms?
    >
    > Just looking for experiences and advice
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jeff

Old May 12th 2002, 1:20 pm
Jeffrey Scharpf

Thanks for your input everyone It is appreciated

Jeff

Old May 14th 2002, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Inaleda is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not a british but I have flown through Heathrow. It is a huge place for someone to travel for the first time internationally but also the best one, since everybody is so nice and polite there. So tell her not to panic when she sees it but to ask for directions and everything.
I arrived in Chicago, O`Hara. Once she left the plane she will see different lines and she should go to the line for visitors. She handles the brown envelope she has with her + passports+ I-94( she fills it at the plane, they will give it to her, and I guess one for the child). The officer will take the brawn envelope, stampe the passports and stampe the I-94, retaining a part of it.
I wasn`t ask any question. I tried to ask about an EAD stamp but wasn`t given any.
Then I left and my husband, then my fiance was waiting for me. That was October 2000.
Good luck
Old May 14th 2002, 8:01 pm
abi
Forum Regular

abi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jeff.
The first time I flew to the USA to visit my fiance was a couple of years ago. I had never flown internationally before, certainly not alone and I had two plane changes..I was supposed to fly from Southampton to Paris to Newark to Buffalo. Instead, when I got to southampton, the flight to paris was cancelled so I was put on a coach to Heathrow to get a flight to Paris. When the coach finally arrived at Heathrow it was late and the flight to paris was missed. So Heathrow then sorted me a flight to Boston, and told them another flight would be sorted there, but at this point I had no idea where that flight would be. So almost a day after my first flight was supposed to happen but was cancelled, I finally found myself on a plane to Boston. When I got to Boston, I was held up in Immigration because I didnt have a job and they at first didnt believe I was only there for 10 days. Eventaully they let me thru and subsequently I missed my flight to Buffalo. Boston airport then put me on a flight to Rochester and paid a taxi to Buffalo airport from Rochester. So finally ni the middle of the nite, over 24 hours of travelling and messing about, I finally made it to Buffalo airport where my hunny was waiting for me. Heathrow is huge, but believe me, if I can get through all that, first time flyer and alone, I am sure your hunny will be fine!