Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Trip to Puerto Rico - will CBP let me back in

Trip to Puerto Rico - will CBP let me back in

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

topcat1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trip to Puerto Rico - will CBP let me back in

Hi

Can anyone help me.

I am currently on the VWP and due to leave on 1st May back to the UK for good. My fiance wants to take me to Puerto Rico for the weekend, can anyone advise if I will be allowed back in the country. I did have immigration problems coming in bearing in mind I did two 90 days with a short time out of the country in between and dont want to end up not being allowed back in.

Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to Puerto Rico - will CBP let me back in

Originally Posted by topcat1972
Hi

Can anyone help me.

I am currently on the VWP and due to leave on 1st May back to the UK for good. My fiance wants to take me to Puerto Rico for the weekend, can anyone advise if I will be allowed back in the country. I did have immigration problems coming in bearing in mind I did two 90 days with a short time out of the country in between and dont want to end up not being allowed back in.

Thanks
Hmmm, I don't think a flight to PR will be classed as international. In all likelihood, you wouldn't even go through immigration on the return flight to the US. However, I've never been to PR, so I could be very wrong. If you do have to go thru immigration, I'd find it highly unlikely you'll be allowed entry.

Hopefully someone can pipe up and clarify whether you'll have to go thru immigration control or not.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Apr 22nd 2009 at 6:32 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Can anyone help me.

Thanks
Nationality of fiance?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:29 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

First things first. Puerto Rico is inside the USA. It's surprising how many Americans don't know this.

Second... there is another thread here somewhere about this issue. Apparently immigration does keep some kind of eye on the comings and goings from there. But if your documentation is squared away, I can't see there being a problem.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Nationality of fiance?
he is scotttish on the L1 visa
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hmmm, I don't think a flight to PR will be classed as international. In all likelihood, you wouldn't even go through immigration on the return flight to the US. However, I've never been to PR, so I could be very wrong. If you do have to go thru immigration, I'd find it highly unlikely you'll be allowed entry. Sounds like you've been tryin to live in the US w/out a visa.

Hopefully someone can pipe up and clarify whether you'll have to go thru immigration control or not.
Hi sunflowrgrl13 knowing my luck it would have to go through immigration. I just dont want the trouble of getting stuck, however, good it would be in puerto rico but with my leaving date so close.

Thanks for your response.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
First things first. Puerto Rico is inside the USA. It's surprising how many Americans don't know this.

Second... there is another thread here somewhere about this issue. Apparently immigration does keep some kind of eye on the comings and goings from there. But if your documentation is squared away, I can't see there being a problem.

Hi AdobePinon

Chances are the "Americans that dont know this" would be the CBP officials.

I am not sure I want to take the risk even though I know for definite I am getting on that plane on Friday back to the UK but even though I have the ticket to prove it chances are it wont be enough for them.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Can anyone help me.

Thanks
Hi:

If you are a UK citizen, I see no reason for the UK not to let you in.

BTW, the initials "CBP" are generally used for the United States border people. I've never heard it used for the British inspectors also.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

If you are a UK citizen, I see no reason for the UK not to let you in.

BTW, the initials "CBP" are generally used for the United States border people. I've never heard it used for the British inspectors also.
Sorry Folinskyinla I was referring to the CBP at the airport letting me back into the USA from Puerto Rico and then returning to the UK on 1st May.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sunflowrgrl13 knowing my luck it would have to go through immigration. I just dont want the trouble of getting stuck, however, good it would be in puerto rico but with my leaving date so close.

Thanks for your response.

Not much to see and hear in PR that you can't see and hear in New York City.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Not much to see and hear in PR that you can't see and hear in New York City.
It was a good deal on flights and my other half has been to NYC so he wanted to go somewhere else.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:34 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

They do keep an eye on domestic flights. If they have a return ticket to show (US to UK) it is unlikely they will have any problems provided there isn't anything like a prior undetected overstay in their past.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg14624
They do keep an eye on domestic flights. If they have a return ticket to show (US to UK) it is unlikely they will have any problems provided there isn't anything like a prior undetected overstay in their past.
Thanks crg14624 no previous overstays but did do two separate 90 days on the VWP with only about a 11 day stay back in the UK which is why I am wondering if that will flag up on coming back and if they think I am intending to stay past the I94 date.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

... letting me back into the USA from Puerto Rico and then returning to the UK on 1st May.
Hi:

You have me very confused now -- are you traveling somewhere via Puerto Rico? As written, you are asking will they be "...letting back into the USA from the USA and then returning to the UK on 1st May."
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's treated as part of the USA for immigration purposes, but otherwise is a United States territory, not part of the USA itself (unlike Hawaii, for example).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.