Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travelling to UK and back, is 1:40 enough to change planes in Minneapolis for an LPR?

Travelling to UK and back, is 1:40 enough to change planes in Minneapolis for an LPR?

Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Travelling to UK and back, is 1:40 enough to change planes in Minneapolis for an LPR?

I have to go back to the UK in a few weeks as my house is finally under contract (Yay! ). The trip's going to be expensive enough as is so I'm trying to book the flight via my Delta Skymiles.

Only problem is, if I don't want to spend 30+h travelling in each direction, the best connection back I get is via Minneapolis (MSP). Does anybody know if 1:40 is enough to change planes in MSP if you don't have to queue in the tourist queue? Problem is, if I miss the plane in MSP, I'll get stuck in Salt Lake City overnight as I'll miss the last plane out to Reno.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to UK and back, is 1:40 enough to change planes in Minneapolis for an

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
I have to go back to the UK in a few weeks as my house is finally under contract (Yay! ). The trip's going to be expensive enough as is so I'm trying to book the flight via my Delta Skymiles.

Only problem is, if I don't want to spend 30+h travelling in each direction, the best connection back I get is via Minneapolis (MSP). Does anybody know if 1:40 is enough to change planes in MSP if you don't have to queue in the tourist queue? Problem is, if I miss the plane in MSP, I'll get stuck in Salt Lake City overnight as I'll miss the last plane out to Reno.
What's the deal if your first flight is delayed/cancelled.

Minnesota in a few weeks could be a bit dicey. Same thing applies to SLC, too.

Jim.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Travelling to UK and back, is 1:40 enough to change planes in Minneapolis for an

Well, there is always a chance that we get snow here, too...

Basically if the plane to Minneapolis gets cancelled or delayed then I'll be a day late for work. If I get to SLC I might just be a few hours late for work the next day.

The problem is that with Delta I pretty much always have to fly via SLC and I would like to avoid ATL because I've never had a flight leave or arrive on time at ATL.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your dates but:
DL9472 LHR-AMS (KLM)
DL233 AMS-SEA
DL9078 SEA-RNO (Horizon)
Don't know how reward tickets work out on codeshares. I wondered about other airports but SMF doesn't seem any better!
Old Oct 17th 2012, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately that route never showed up without a long layover in SEA.

I ended up risking the stop in MSP, will report back if that worked out or not.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is that, if your international flight arrives on time, then you should be OK.

If it is late then you will just have to hope that the connecting flight is delayed as well ...
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

I think I'd probably make it to Salt Lake City even if the international flight is delayed, it's just the last hop that might be an issue.

Fortunately my manager has been in the same situation several times himself (he's also an expat) so it's not going to be that big a deal if something goes wrong.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

We used to fly via Minneapolis every Thanksgiving for 5 years from Amsterdam on our way to Omaha, we were often the only flight that immigration was processing, with 1 1/2 hours you should be good.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, that's really good news.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

MSP is pretty small, and in mine (and my H's experience), international flights don't tend to clash, so there isn't a long line. In fact, even when we first arrived on L Visas, we were through secondary processing in about 20 minutes. I remember seeing their board of international flights in there, and everything was spread out. Of course, you can just use your elbows to get to the front of the queue
Oh, and the weather has to be horrendous before they close down a runway in MSP, it's hard core here
Old Nov 18th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I ended up having to rebook the flight as I got to go to the dentist instead of the airport first . I did come back through MSP and based on that experience the 1:40 would have been plenty - I was through immigrations and customs in about 1/2h. That was with the majority of the people in the queue being LPRs and citizens.

We'll certainly consider going through MSP on a European trip again.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut

I always look for at least two hours between changing planes where an international flight is included.

You only need say a 20 minute delay at the start, then lose some more time in the air and you are left with an hour to deplane, get across the airport etc.etc

Too much stress.