Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travel unauthorized ESTA plus denied visa, what now?

Travel unauthorized ESTA plus denied visa, what now?

Old May 20th 2009, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Whymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel unauthorized ESTA plus denied visa, what now?

Originally Posted by henryh
There is a difference between not saying you have a gf there and saying you do not have a gf there. The latter is lying, the former is merely not volunteering information that you haven't been asked for.
Yes but how are they supposed to know otherwise? They can't mind read. Not being a douche here but there was no way of them knowing anyway and they don't break out the lie detector so what harm would it do since theres no way of them knowing anyway?
Old May 20th 2009, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whymewhyme
Yes but how are they supposed to know otherwise? They can't mind read. Not being a douche here but there was no way of them knowing anyway and they don't break out the lie detector so what harm would it do since theres no way of them knowing anyway?
None of this really matters now, IMO. You applied for the B2 previously and it was denied. After your ESTA was denied, you now have no choice but to reapply for a B2 using information from your current circumstances. There's no need to bring up a g/f that no longer exists. Show them your income, mortgage/lease statements, bank statements, etc to prove strong ties to the UK. If they reject your evidence and deny you the B2 again, you have little recourse & will not be visiting the US again anytime soon. (EDIT: without a visa, you won't be visiting again soon. you may want to consider looking into other types of visas you may qualify for, not just a B2)

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; May 20th 2009 at 5:15 pm.
Old May 20th 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Whymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
None of this really matters now, IMO. You applied for the B2 previously and it was denied. After your ESTA was denied, you now have no choice but to reapply for a B2 using information from your current circumstances. There's no need to bring up a g/f that no longer exists. Show them your income, mortgage/lease statements, bank statements, etc to prove strong ties to the UK. If they reject your evidence and deny you the B2 again, you have little recourse & will not be visiting the US again anytime soon.
Well what about these two options:

1.) Reapply now with the same info I got denied with including this letter from my now ex gf which really no longer applies since we don't talk anymore.

2.) Wait 6-12 months and get:

A.) apartment lease
B.) bigger bank balance
C.) new ties
D.) longer established limited company (as it is only 2 months old right now)
Old May 20th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to immigration it really is best to stay on the right side of what is a fairly clear line between legal and illegal. There is no such thing as a little fib.

You won't get many people publicly advising you to lie. Those that do, you should probably steer clear of since their other advice is probably not too good.

So in your interview the officer asked you "Do you have a girlfriend in the US?" and you said "No I do not."? If that's the case, you're in a sticky situation. Maybe this time you should still tell them that you did have a girlfriend but don't any more. Maybe not. It's your call.

The letter from your ex sounds like something you should not show. A letter saying "xxx can stay with me for 2 weeks while he's visiting LA" might be good, but one saying "I love xxx and he can stay with me for as long as he likes" screams immigrant intent.

If waiting a few months will let you show more ties, that's probably a good idea. Don't forget that you might have to book embassy appointments well in advance.
Old May 20th 2009, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

When it comes to immigration it really is best to stay on the right side of what is a fairly clear line between legal and illegal. There is no such thing as a little fib.

You won't get many people publicly advising you to lie. Those that do, you should probably steer clear of since their other advice is probably not too good.

So in your interview the officer asked you "Do you have a girlfriend in the US?" and you said "No I do not."? If that's the case, you're in a sticky situation. Maybe this time you should still tell them that you did have a girlfriend but don't any more. Maybe not. It's your call.

The letter from your ex sounds like something you should not show. A letter saying "xxx can stay with me for 2 weeks while he's visiting LA" might be good, but one saying "I love xxx and he can stay with me for as long as he likes" screams immigrant intent.

If waiting a few months will let you show more ties, that's probably a good idea. Don't forget that you might have to book embassy appointments well in advance.
Well she wrote a plutonic letter, nothing about me as a bf, she works for an immigration lawyer herself so she knows the deal with this kind of thing.

I think I'll wait then and stack up the ties, seems like the logical and best option right now unless anyone disagrees?
Old May 20th 2009, 6:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to the visa section as it's an immigration/visa question.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Not being a douche here but there was no way of them knowing anyway and they don't break out the lie detector so what harm would it do since theres no way of them knowing anyway?
You just don't seem to get it. When you knock on someone's door and ask permission to enter, you'd best be prepared to be denied entry. If they let you in, that's great! If not, you leave. It's simple. You have *no* entitlement whatsoever to enter the US - and US immigration laws are specifically designed to keep non-US citizens *OUT* of the US.

If you don't think it's fair that a country can set it's own rules and regulations, then you're going to grow old and bitter at life's apparent inequities.

Ian
Old May 20th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You just don't seem to get it. When you knock on someone's door and ask permission to enter, you'd best be prepared to be denied entry. If they let you in, that's great! If not, you leave. It's simple. You have *no* entitlement whatsoever to enter the US - and US immigration laws are specifically designed to keep non-US citizens *OUT* of the US.

If you don't think it's fair that a country can set it's own rules and regulations, then you're going to grow old and bitter at life's apparent inequities.

Ian
Yeah well I'm just saying, considering we followed the US into a bullshit war while every other country didn't want a part of it (not to mention what we have done in the past for the usa) it seems like a total crock. I mean I can understand they'd be paranoid about illegals but to persecute someone like me who has clearly no intentions of staying there illegally it seems a bit off. Also you have 100 miles of open borders, the whole thing is just really lame and not appropriate or fair. That's all I'm saying here. It's wrong. The whole thing is assbackwards imo.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah well I'm just saying, considering we followed the US into a bullshit war while every other country didn't want a part of it (not to mention what we have done in the past for the usa) it seems like a total crock. I mean I can understand they'd be paranoid about illegals but to persecute someone like me who has clearly no intentions of staying there illegally it seems a bit off. Also you have 100 miles of open borders, the whole thing is just really lame and not appropriate or fair. That's all I'm saying here. It's wrong. The whole thing is assbackwards imo.
I think it's pretty sucky too, but don't take that attitude to the Embassy or POE or you will be out on your ear. For them it's yes sir, no sir, three bags full
Old May 20th 2009, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

I think it's pretty sucky too, but don't take that attitude to the Embassy or POE or you will be out on your ear. For them it's yes sir, no sir, three bags full
I know, I am always the gentleman with these types of authority.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... considering we followed the US into a bullshit war while every other country didn't want a part of it (not to mention what we have done in the past for the usa) it seems like a total crock.
You seem to think that actually matters to the US. It doesn't. There is *no* "special relationship" that exists between the US and the UK... it is *all* media hype and nothing more. If you have believed that hype, then I'm sorry.

I mean I can understand they'd be paranoid about illegals but to persecute someone like me who has clearly no intentions of staying there illegally it seems a bit off.
It never fails... whenever someone gets ticked off at the inequitiy of the US immigration system, they bring illegal aliens into the equation. Here's some news for you... illegal aliens had nothing whatsoever to do with your current situation. Don't like it? TFB.

Ian
Old May 20th 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You seem to think that actually matters to the US. It doesn't. There is *no* "special relationship" that exists between the US and the UK... it is *all* media hype and nothing more. If you have believed that hype, then I'm sorry.

It never fails... whenever someone gets ticked off at the inequitiy of the US immigration system, they bring illegal aliens into the equation. Here's some news for you... illegal aliens had nothing whatsoever to do with your current situation. Don't like it? TFB.

Ian
K, not here to argue about it, just expressing my disdain.

I'll try again in 6-12 months and just keep trying.

Thanks for the input.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean I can use that 'special relationship' the US has with the UK to up and go to Scotland and stay there for long periods of time, even w/out the proper visa? By your logic, I shouldn't have to show that I have no immigration intent or have buckets of money to support myself.

You are not being persecuted or singled out.
Old May 20th 2009, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Does that mean I can use that 'special relationship' the US has with the UK to up and go to Scotland and stay there for long periods of time, even w/out the proper visa? By your logic, I shouldn't have to show that I have no immigration intent or have buckets of money to support myself.

You are not being persecuted or singled out.
Well in my opinion I did show that I didn't have intentions of staying there. I thought I showed enough evidence but obviously in hindsight I didn't. I'm really not here to argue, just find a solution so while I appreciate your comments on this I'd rather stay on topic and hear what others have to say about evidence I need to show, etc so I can reapply for this.
Old May 20th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

I think we're all agreed that the only way you're going to be able to visit the US again is by applying and getting a B-2 visa. If you apply and get denied, there is no reason you can't apply again at a later date.

I know of several people from countries that are not part of the VWP who applied for B-2 visas for years and were denied several times, until finally one day they got approved. So don't think a denial is the end of the story.

Good luck.
- Eric S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.