Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travel during AOS - Hawaii an option?

Travel during AOS - Hawaii an option?

Old May 4th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of
Default Re: Travel during AOS - Hawaii an option?

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't know. Have you googled the worldwide web for an answer?
I just assumed as others were advising the OP not to go to Hawaii, they would know.
Old May 4th 2009, 12:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
I just assumed as others were advising the OP not to go to Hawaii, they would know.
Marty, I appreciate your concern, but as this was a potential problem introduced to the group by immigration lawyers, it seems responsible to repeat it.

If you can't give assurances that there is NO potential for a problem, then it's probably best to let people know that the potential is there. Since it's their butts on the line and all.
Old May 4th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

I can appreciate that, and the OP appears to have been apprised of any risks. I didn't say there were no risks, I just put them into context. What the OP does is up to himself/herself.

Life is full of risks though. Most accidents happen in the home for instance, so I imagine staying at home would have a greater degree of risk. You're certainly much more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck than to get on a flight bound for Hawaii that ends up in Canada, but it's whatever I guess.

Last edited by Marty J; May 4th 2009 at 12:35 pm.
Old May 4th 2009, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
Most accidents happen in the home for instance, so I imagine staying at home would have a greater degree of risk.
Once, there was a fella who heard that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home... so he moved! True story!

Ian
Old May 5th 2009, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh i think its worth considering how much time effort and money you've put into this so far.

Then add the fact that your planning on spending the rest of your lives together.

Not forgetting that any risk is still a risk, no matter how great or small.

Then decide if leaving the states is worth that risk consider the first 2 above sentences!

America is a big place, there is plenty of beautiful amazing places to visit. Go see the great lakes, or visit the Ozarks....
Old May 5th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
Tbh i think its worth considering how much time effort and money you've put into this so far.

Then add the fact that your planning on spending the rest of your lives together.

Then decide if leaving the states is worth that risk consider the first 2 above sentences!

America is a big place, there is plenty of beautiful amazing places to visit. Go see the great lakes, or visit the Ozarks....
Well said.

Hubby and I went to a 4 season resort, 2 hours away for our honeymoon. It was February, the weather was surprisingly beautiful and we had an amazing time away.

Plenty of time for world travel (and US travel!) down the line when everything regarding my visa / travel permit is nicely in place.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:31 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic

Or Hawaii!
Old May 5th 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Or Hawaii!
lol
Old May 5th 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Very amusing :-)

All, I had seriously considered Hawai as well, both for a beach wedding and then a honeymoon but didin't do it for various reasons NOT connected to the visa. At that time I was on a visa waiver so no visa issues.

But now that I'm out of status, I guess it's more risky to travel, even if within the states, right? I still have Hawaii on my mind, plus I like to and am used to travel. Apart from the theoretical issues of plane getting diverted or crashing, how risky do you think it is to travel by within the states?

Thanks.
Old May 5th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Also, what does OP stand for? Sorry...
Old May 5th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

chippysupper is just really nicechippysupper is just really nicechippysupper is just really nicechippysupper is just really nicechippysupper is just really nicechippysupper is just really nicechippysupper is just really nicechippysupper is just really nice

OP = Original Poster
Old May 5th 2009, 6:18 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood

All, I had seriously considered Hawai as well, both for a beach wedding and then a honeymoon but didin't do it for various reasons NOT connected to the visa. At that time I was on a visa waiver so no visa issues.

But now that I'm out of status, I guess it's more risky to travel, even if within the states, right? I still have Hawaii on my mind, plus I like to and am used to travel. Apart from the theoretical issues of plane getting diverted or crashing, how risky do you think it is to travel by within the states?

Thanks.
I saw two German women who overstayed get pulled aside at the airport while we were going through security on a flight to Florida. The inspector saw that they overstayed by the date on their passport andsaid they would be sent back to Germany. I also know a few Irish guys who got caught by immigration on an Amtrack train ride. I don't know if it makes a difference if you are in the AOS process but the Irish guys that I know had all overstayed a few years and all got deported.
Old May 6th 2009, 12:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But now that I'm out of status, I guess it's more risky to travel, even if within the states, right?
If you have applied for AOS and have a receipt, you are not out of status. That said, travelling in the lower 48 carries a much lower risk than Hawaii or Alaska... but flying domestically anywhere using a UK passport with no visa (or an expired one) rather than state-issued ID (like a driver's license) might raise questions that you don't want to answer.

Ian
Old May 6th 2009, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

IMO I just would NOT risk it. It's not like you can pop to Tesco or Walmart and pick up a new visa. So much time, money and emotional investment goes into a visa, and to throw it away on a short holiday would have devastated me. If there was the slightest risk I would not and still would not do it.
Old May 6th 2009, 3:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
If the risks are really weighing on your mind, then just do this: Get married in the city you are in now (not in Hawaii). Take a weekend vacation somewhere nearby to get away from your city (not Hawaii). Get your immigration in order, get your green card in hand, you guys both work for a while and save money, etc. At the first opportunity, maybe for your 1-year anniversary, take that dream vacation to Hawaii and have a blast.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.