Travel document questions?

Old Jul 15th 2002, 4:20 pm
Sheila

Default Travel document questions?

can I use travel document to travel to another country? I have applied for
naturalization, and my home country has decided that they will not renew my passport
so i am without a passport and have a need for emergency travel back to my home
country? can i apply for advance parole since my naturalization is pending, and use
that in lieu of a passport for traveling?

thanks sheila

Old Jul 15th 2002, 11:20 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

Default Re: Travel document questions?

Sheila wrote:

> can I use travel document to travel to another country? I have applied for
    > naturalization, and my home country has decided that they will not renew my
    > passport so i am without a passport and have a need for emergency travel back to my
    > home country? can i apply for advance parole since my naturalization is pending,
    > and use that in lieu of a passport for traveling?

You are not eligible for advance parole, because you are a permanent resident. You
are eligible for a reentry permit, and you can apply for that, stating that you need
a travel document as you no longer have a valid passport (I would not mention the
naturalization). You can use the reentry permit as a travel document to enter many
countries, but not all. You must check with each country about whether it accepts a
U.S. reentry permit.