Travel back to the USA

Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:25 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel back to the USA

Originally Posted by gjscott
I entered all his USA passport and citizenship information and it went through ok.

No you didn’t. When you complete the online form (and I have just started an application to test it) it asks your nationality of your passport and you can only select one option from a pre-populated list. This list includes ONLY the VWP countries. The USA is not an option that you can select for obvious reasons.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 11:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927

No you didn’t. When you complete the online form (and I have just started an application to test it) it asks your nationality of your passport and you can only select one option from a pre-populated list. This list includes ONLY the VWP countries. The USA is not an option that you can select for obvious reasons.
Sounds like the the OP put down UK not USA.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

US Citizens are not eligible to get a US visa. The ESTA your son has is invalid . . . and if you knowingly omitted information or entered incorrect information (like, if you had to tick a box confirming your son is not a US citizen to proceed with the application, and you did that) - you committed an offence.

The US also allows multiple citizenship.

Emergency documents/emergency passports can be issued in these cases. Once you pay for the emergency passport, that fee counts towards the replacement passport. At least it did 13 years ago when I had to do that.

A lot of misinformation in your post, about basic things. As you are all US citizens I strongly urge you to read up and become a lot more knowledgeable about laws, rules and rights regarding dual citizenship.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 3:49 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

As a US Citizen, I suppose it is possible you/your son will get away with breaking various immigration rules, but I would not want to try in the current environment.
Also, how does a 5 year old's passport expire already?
Old Jul 7th 2018, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

"Current environment" is meaningless - OP's son, as a US Citizen, cannot be denied entry to the United States (and neither can his US Citizen parents). That includes if he shows up with an invalid passport.

What will happen, is a delay (and possibly quite a substantial one) as border patrol will then need to confirm the identity and nationality of the child. If OP has fudged the ESTA application, that will complicate things. Among other things Immigration will want to know why OP applied for an ESTA when the child was a US Citizen, why they didn't get a current passport, and why no mention of being a US Citizen was made in the ESTA (if I understood what happened correctly). Expect an interminable wait at the airport in secondary. None of that is any different from the "past environment" when Obama was President.

This is if they are allowed to board the plane. They can be denied boarding by the airline, which is completely separate from being denied entry to the country. Though with the parents having US Passports and the child having a UK Passport + ESTA - I doubt the counter agent will question it.

In Conclusion: Ask for an Emergency Passport/Travel Document at the Embassy, and read the conditions carefully. An emergency passport does not replace a regular passport - it's often just good for a single journey/specified small amount of time, and the one your son gets issued could be a single-use emergency document which would mean you would need to apply for an expedited normal passport on arrival in the United States.

Last edited by carcajou; Jul 7th 2018 at 4:28 am.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 4:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
As a US Citizen, I suppose it is possible you/your son will get away with breaking various immigration rules, but I would not want to try in the current environment.
Also, how does a 5 year old's passport expire already?
Passport for age under 16 is only valid 5 years. Probably got the passport as a newborn, and now more than 5 years have passed.

Rene
Old Jul 7th 2018, 4:53 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
"Current environment" is meaningless - OP's son, as a US Citizen, cannot be denied entry to the United States (and neither can his US Citizen parents). That includes if he shows up with an invalid passport.

What will happen, is a delay (and possibly quite a substantial one) as border patrol will then need to confirm the identity and nationality of the child. If OP has fudged the ESTA application, that will complicate things. Among other things Immigration will want to know why OP applied for an ESTA when the child was a US Citizen, why they didn't get a current passport, and why no mention of being a US Citizen was made in the ESTA (if I understood what happened correctly). Expect an interminable wait at the airport in secondary. None of that is any different from the "past environment" when Obama was President.

This is if they are allowed to board the plane. They can be denied boarding by the airline, which is completely separate from being denied entry to the country. Though with the parents having US Passports and the child having a UK Passport + ESTA - I doubt the counter agent will question it.

In Conclusion: Ask for an Emergency Passport/Travel Document at the Embassy, and read the conditions carefully. An emergency passport does not replace a regular passport - it's often just good for a single journey/specified small amount of time, and the one your son gets issued could be a single-use emergency document which would mean you would need to apply for an expedited normal passport on arrival in the United States.
That is what I said, in far less words.Except a bit of a political bias on my part!
Old Jul 7th 2018, 7:46 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Passport for age under 16 is only valid 5 years. Probably got the passport as a newborn, and now more than 5 years have passed.

Rene
Probably, but he said it expired in 2017 so the kid must be almost 6 by now!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

gjscott is an unknown quantity at this point

We went to the US embassy in London and obtained a temporary 1 year passport for him.

Whilst there I asked the staff what would have happened if we'd turned up at US immigration and tried to use his UK passport for entry into the US, he stated that we would have been admitted, but we would have "an unpleasant day".
Old Aug 8th 2018, 6:30 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjscott
We went to the US embassy in London and obtained a temporary 1 year passport for him.

Whilst there I asked the staff what would have happened if we'd turned up at US immigration and tried to use his UK passport for entry into the US, he stated that we would have been admitted, but we would have "an unpleasant day".
I saw someone going through this at the next line over from me a few years ago, he had his foreign passport and US certificate of citizenship. The officer was pointing out that the notes said he had been told on multiple entities that he needed to enter on a US passport, but by the sounds of it had been admitted before without one on multiple occasions. Was not there long enough to see what happened.