Travel Abroad as a LPR

Old Dec 30th 2012, 2:14 am
Just Joined

grobets18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Abroad as a LPR

Hi everyone, I have been living in the US as a LPR since October 2011 and recently have been toying with the idea of heading back to Australia to complete some more tertiary study. I am not sure how long I would be outside the US and obviously don't want to put my LPR Status in jeopardy.

I am aware that a Re-Entry Permit is one option and also that as a general rule a LPR is allowed to be outside of the US temporarily for up to 12 months. Also I am sure I read somewhere that School/University Study is one exception for being outside the US that won't jeopardise ones LPR Status, is this correct?

If I do go ahead with my plan I would want to play it safe and assume I would be gone longer than 12 months so if anyone can give me some advice I would most appreciate it.

Thank you
Old Dec 30th 2012, 2:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Abroad as a LPR

Originally Posted by grobets18
Hi everyone, I have been living in the US as a LPR since October 2011 and recently have been toying with the idea of heading back to Australia to complete some more tertiary study. I am not sure how long I would be outside the US and obviously don't want to put my LPR Status in jeopardy.

I am aware that a Re-Entry Permit is one option and also that as a general rule a LPR is allowed to be outside of the US temporarily for up to 12 months. Also I am sure I read somewhere that School/University Study is one exception for being outside the US that won't jeopardise ones LPR Status, is this correct?

If I do go ahead with my plan I would want to play it safe and assume I would be gone longer than 12 months so if anyone can give me some advice I would most appreciate it.

Thank you
Hello and welcome to BE.

I recommend that you apply for a re-entry permit before you leave the US. My daughter went to uni in Canada...returning to the US approx once per month...several weeks at Christmas and 3/4 months during the summer. During one border crossing she was given a hard time by the immigration officer and told to obtain a re-entry permit.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Apply for a re-entry permit, which allows you to be outside the USA for up to 2 years and can be renewed for another 2 years if necessary. Make sure you maintain strong ties to the USA - US mailing address, ID, bank account, etc. Make sure you file a US tax return each year.

Studying abroad is one of the "safer" reasons for being outside the USA for extended periods of time, but you still have to maintain the USA as your permanent residence. Applying for a re-entry permit also has the advantage of showing that your intention is not to abandon your PR status.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:45 am
Just Joined

bcousins001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question regarding the re-entry permit. If you apply for and are successful in obtaining one does that mean it is valid for up to two years or does it expire upon returning to the US. In other words can you essentially use it to relocate abroad temporarily but still come back to the US on short trips to see family etc? Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcousins001
Just a quick question regarding the re-entry permit. If you apply for and are successful in obtaining one does that mean it is valid for up to two years or does it expire upon returning to the US. In other words can you essentially use it to relocate abroad temporarily but still come back to the US on short trips to see family etc? Thanks
The Re-Entry Permit document has a validity of 2 years, no matter how many times you come and go.

The only exception to this rule, is for someone with a conditional 2-year green card. In that case, the Re-Entry Permit will expire on the day the 2-year green card expires, even if the Re-Entry Permit date has an expiration date later than that.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

bcousins001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The Re-Entry Permit document has a validity of 2 years, no matter how many times you come and go.

The only exception to this rule, is for someone with a conditional 2-year green card. In that case, the Re-Entry Permit will expire on the day the 2-year green card expires, even if the Re-Entry Permit date has an expiration date later than that.

Rene
thanks for clearing that up Rene, most helpful