Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Translation query and notarisation

Translation query and notarisation

Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

carmen blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Translation query and notarisation

We just realised that my husband's German police cert of good conduct needs to be translated. We don't have an interview date yet in London but expect it imminently. We're in Ireland staying with family. I'm assuming we can find a translator here and get it notarised here. But does anyone see any issues with that? The fact that it won't be notarised in the UK, but in the Republic of Ireland? Also, am I correct in saying that the translator must sign a statment in front of a notary stating that the translation is correct? Thanks!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Translation query and notarisation

Originally Posted by carmen blue
I'm assuming we can find a translator here and get it notarised here. But does anyone see any issues with that? The fact that it won't be notarised in the UK, but in the Republic of Ireland? Also, am I correct in saying that the translator must sign a statment in front of a notary stating that the translation is correct?
Anyone - anyone at all - who is competent to translate German to English can do the translation. If your husband speaks German, he can do it. The "magic language" is the legal equivalent to notarization under US law, so it doesn't matter where the translation is done. If the "magic language" is used, the translator doesn't need to sign anything in front of a notary.

This is the magic language:

"I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on [date] by [signature]."

Ian
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. It's not that I don't believe you, but if we don't get the statement sworn before a notary public, then it seems we are ignoring the last sentence that the embassy says below. Is the 'magic language' DEFINITELY the legal equivalent to notarization in the US? Will the person interviewing my husband know that??? If we can do it ourselves, it would save us a lot of time and money because, yes, my husband can translate it himself. Has anyone actually done this???

From US embassy website:
Translations: All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that state that the translation is accurate, and sworn to before a Notary Public.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is the 'magic language' DEFINITELY the legal equivalent to notarization in the US?
Yes, it is.

Will the person interviewing my husband know that?
He may... he may not. However, I can assure you that his supervisor will know the law. Don't confuse what's on the website with what the law says.

Has anyone actually done this?
Yes, many have.

Ian
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again, Ian. I really do want to trust that this would work, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's actually done it. Anyone?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:49 am
Account Closed

I really do want to trust that this would work...
No worries, but I can assure you that the magic language is the legal equivalent of a notarised jurat.

Ian
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again, Ian. I really do want to trust that this would work, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's actually done it. Anyone?
Throughout my husband's immigration journey, I've done both. I used a professional translation service at the beginning, but then I also translated some documents myself later on, using the "magic language". Both were acceptable to USCIS.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...38&postcount=4

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

If you chose to submit "affidavits", please note that the following "magic language" is the legal EQUIVALENT of notarization:

At the end -- put in the following paragraph:

"I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on [date]"

This language is then followed by the declarant's signature.

If you do this, there is no need for notarization.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

I am really hoping this is true...I have been having the same dilemma, translating and notarising is so expensive! If I have to use a translation agency for all of that it will cost me around 300 pounds for two documents(
I have also called the embassy and they gave me a reference to email them and asked them for some alternatives, will see what they reply...
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by katq
I have also called the embassy and they gave me a reference to email them and asked them for some alternatives, will see what they reply...
Unless they agree with what we've been saying here about the "magic language", you can safely ignore whatever the Embassy tells you. They either know the law (in which case they agree with us) or they don't. Also, as stated previously, anyone who is competent to translate can do so.

Ian
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

I haven't received a reply yet, but I just found another link on their website that doesn't say the translations must be notarised at all:

http://london.usembassy.gov/docs169.html

the text is at the very bottom...I can print this out and use it in my defence anyways
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:16 am
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of

Let us know what the Embassy says when they respond.

I'm interested because I have the same dilemma
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by C_C
Let us know what the Embassy says when they respond.

I'm interested because I have the same dilemma
They don't seem to be in a real hurry to reply to me, but I will let you know once they've replied) It's been just over one week now...
Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katq
I haven't received a reply yet, but I just found another link on their website that doesn't say the translations must be notarised at all:

http://london.usembassy.gov/docs169.html

the text is at the very bottom...I can print this out and use it in my defence anyways
Exactly! This is the language that has been the norm since I started on this... 8 years ago.

# Translations - All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified translations into English. Translations must be in single copy and certified by a qualified independent translator that the translation is accurate.

Your translator 'certifies' it when they affix the magic language!

This month seems to be the 'how difficult can I make my case' month.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Big V is an unknown quantity at this point

Carmen Blue, may I ask you what you ended up doing reg, the translation and notarisation?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.