Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Transfering Money From The USA to The UK

Transfering Money From The USA to The UK

Old Aug 15th 2001, 5:08 pm
David Turner

HI, I have a problem, I want to transfer money from the USA to a UK bank account, how
do I go about this?

I do not have a US bank account yet!

Is the only way by doing a Wire Transfer with Western Union or are their other
methods? as this costs $12.00 to do this.

Old Aug 16th 2001, 12:54 pm
Maarten W.G. Andries

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Ask your local bank for options. I have asked my local bank in the Netherlands, and
they can send money from my bank acount to a US bank account for Hfl 17,50, which is
about $7. Then again, if you want to send money FROM the United States to the UK,
the initiative should come from the US side. Call a US bank, and ask them how they
would do it.

Further, look into a PayPal account, maybe you could transfer the money that way.

If you plan to move to the USA anytime soon, you could also have someone you know and
trust open up a bankaccount. Then as soon as you move over, you open up your own, and
you plunder the other account, and end it. If you expect regular payments from the
USA, the best method would be to have a US bank account.

I know a fellow Dutchman who was making US Dollars for a project. He planned to move
over in 1999 or so, and he has been there for well over a year or so. He had a friend
of his open up a bank account, activate the bank card (pincode and such) and then
send the card over to the Netherlands. He phoned the pincode, and my friend could
access his account here from any ATM. He hardly did so, because he was saving up
dollars for his move over to the USA.

If you only recieve one or two relativily small amounts, a bank account is not worth
it, as they usually cost like a few dollars each month, at least for an international
account.... usually they are free of charge when they have more then $1000 on it or
so though....

Hope that helps.

Maarten

Old Aug 17th 2001, 1:57 pm
David Turner

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Sorry I think that you have misunderstood, I have already spoken to my local US Bank,
I do not have a US Bank Account but I do have a UK account. How do I put money($)
into my UK Account (£)? any sugestions would be appreciated.

Old Aug 17th 2001, 6:38 pm
Jan

>
    >
    >

I think the best you can do is to get an international money order from the Post
Office, make it payable to yourself and then mail it (or courier) with a deposit
slip to your bank in the UK. Another option may be to buy traveller's cheques and do
the same - only problem is that you usually have to countersign them in the presence
of whomever you pay them to. So, if you personally know your bank manager in the UK,
he may be willing to do it for you? Without a US bank account, your options remain
very limited.

Old Aug 18th 2001, 3:03 am
David Turner

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

So how would I do this if I did have a US bank account???

Old Aug 18th 2001, 3:11 pm
Stephen Thompson

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Citibank will do a S.W.I.F.T transfer (that is the exact word you need to say) to get
the money transferred. They will deposit it into a holding account and charge you 18
USD, and it will arrive next day in the UK

Steve

Old Aug 20th 2001, 6:25 pm
Jan

[usenetquote2]> > I think the best you can do is to get an international money order from[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > Post Office, make it payable to yourself and then mail it (or courier)[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> > a deposit slip to your bank in the UK. Another option may be to buy traveller's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > cheques and do the same - only problem is that you usually[/usenetquote2]
have
[usenetquote2]> > to countersign them in the presence of whomever you pay them to. So, if[/usenetquote2]
you
[usenetquote2]> > personally know your bank manager in the UK, he may be willing to do it[/usenetquote2]
for
[usenetquote2]> > you? Without a US bank account, your options remain very limited.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

You give your bank the "routing number" and account number of the foreign account and
they "wire" the money over.

Alternatively you could do it through paypal (www.paypal.com) for which you require a
bank account and/or credit card. However, you would have to register yourself as a
user in the UK and in the US, before you can make transfers to yourself from the US
to the UK. Once you have done this, you can affect all transfer via the internet and
the associated costs would be nominal compared to the bank "wire" fees that could be
hefty (in my opinion).

Old Aug 21st 2001, 1:15 pm
David Turner

"Jan" <[email protected]>

[usenetquote2]> > > I think the best you can do is to get an international money order from[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > Post Office, make it payable to yourself and then mail it (or courier)[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > a deposit slip to your bank in the UK. Another option may be to buy traveller's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > cheques and do the same - only problem is that you usually[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > to countersign them in the presence of whomever you pay them to. So, if[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > personally know your bank manager in the UK, he may be willing to do it[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > you? Without a US bank account, your options remain very limited.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So how would I do this if I did have a US bank account???[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Wow, Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 24th 2001, 2:31 am
Vicki

Jan wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Have you actually done this? Do they charge anything in addition to the
thirty cents charged for a transfer? What kind of exchange rate do they give
you? That could have saved us a bit in fees charged by my husband using a
"non-Wells Fargo ATM" in London...

Old Aug 24th 2001, 7:31 pm
Jan

>
    >
    >
    >

The party that receives payment, pays a 2.2% or 2.9% fee. See paypal for details:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...n/fees-outside. So, a transfer from
yourself to yourself will cost you 2.2% or 2.9%.

I have not actually done this myself, but I have sent money to and received money
from family in South Africa via paypal with no problem whatsoever. In principle, I
see no reason why it would not work if you are both the sender and recipient. In
fact, I will try it just to confirm and report back to this group in a week or so...

Old Aug 26th 2001, 4:16 am
Vicki

Thanks! Good to know. It also shows me that it's cheaper for me to use an ATM...I got
charged $2 and the exchange rate was reasonable.

Jan wrote:
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Have you actually done this? Do they charge anything in addition to the thirty[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > cents charged for a transfer? What kind of exchange rate do they give you? That[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > could have saved us a bit in fees charged by my husband using a "non-Wells Fargo[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ATM" in London...[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >