Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Tourist visa timeline from India to US?

Tourist visa timeline from India to US?

Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

DustyTraveller is on a distinguished road
Default Tourist visa timeline from India to US?

My fiancee and I are waiting for our I-129 to be approved. I'm pretty certain it will be after the holidays before our process is over, and we're considering trying for a visitors visa so that he can be with me over the holidays. Can anyone tell me how long it might take to get a visitors visa from India to the US? I've heard India doesn't give out many visas these days. What are our chances of getting one before Thanksgiving or Christmas?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist visa timeline from India to US?

Originally posted by DustyTraveller
My fiancee and I are waiting for our I-129 to be approved. I'm pretty certain it will be after the holidays before our process is over, and we're considering trying for a visitors visa so that he can be with me over the holidays. Can anyone tell me how long it might take to get a visitors visa from India to the US? I've heard India doesn't give out many visas these days. What are our chances of getting one before Thanksgiving or Christmas?
You have a K-1 visa in progress...I'd say not very likely but go ahead and try. They could give you one and you could buy tickets and then be refused at the POE. Document that you intend to return very well. DON"T LIE about having a fiancee or anything though. They KNOW as you have filed for the K-1

If it were me and My money I would go to India for the holidays or wait.

Bless you both, I know the waiting is difficult
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DustyTraveller
Hi:

IMHO, I think the chances of visa issuance are nil, so timeline doesn't matter.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Oh come on now if you are going to bother having an opinion why be humble about it.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:57 am
Mrtravel

lpdiver wrote:

> Originally posted by Folinskyinla
    >
    >
    >>Hi:
    >
    >
    >
    >>IMHO, I think the chances of visa issuance are nil, so timeline
    >>doesn't matter.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Oh come on now if you are going to bother having an opinion why be
    > humble about it.
    >

I wouldn't have said "nil", but I would guess the percentage would be low.

Old Nov 7th 2003, 5:50 am
ProfsnlOCMan

Visa chances are nil..

He is probably youngish, single, AND a beneficiary of a visa petition
already in process in the USA. ( I am pretty certain the application
form for tourist visas in India SPECIFICALLY asks this question).

IF he is a multi-gazillionaire, it is likely, his local financial
assets will assure him a 10 year multiple entry visa. That's his best
hope. I know because most applicants (friends and family) from the
tony neighborhoods of Malabar Hill, Breach Candy (where the consulate
is located), Pali Hill etc. get tourist visas without hassle.

That is because the consular officer knows that these folks are highly
unlikely to become economic "immigrants" by coming to the USA on a
visitor's visa and not returning to India.

Good luck anyway !
------------------
DustyTraveller <member@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My fiancee and I are waiting for our I-129 to be approved. I'm pretty
    > certain it will be after the holidays before our process is over, and
    > we're considering trying for a visitors visa so that he can be with me
    > over the holidays. Can anyone tell me how long it might take to get a
    > visitors visa from India to the US? I've heard India doesn't give out
    > many visas these days. What are our chances of getting one before
    > Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ProfsnlOCMan
Visa chances are nil..

He is probably youngish, single, AND a beneficiary of a visa petition
already in process in the USA. ( I am pretty certain the application
form for tourist visas in India SPECIFICALLY asks this question).

IF he is a multi-gazillionaire, it is likely, his local financial
assets will assure him a 10 year multiple entry visa. That's his best
hope. I know because most applicants (friends and family) from the
tony neighborhoods of Malabar Hill, Breach Candy (where the consulate
is located), Pali Hill etc. get tourist visas without hassle.

That is because the consular officer knows that these folks are highly
unlikely to become economic "immigrants" by coming to the USA on a
visitor's visa and not returning to India.

Good luck anyway !
------------------
The weird thing is, the OP's frineds in India told her to file the I-129f, but the couple is not going to live in the US...they will return to India after a wedding ceremony in the US. I wonder how her odds would change if they withdrew the petition...or has the 'damage' been done as they (incorrectly) demonstrated Immigrant intent?
Of course, this is from trying to piece the story together from multiple posts. I could be totally wrong.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by meauxna
The weird thing is, the OP's frineds in India told her to file the I-129f, but the couple is not going to live in the US...they will return to India after a wedding ceremony in the US. I wonder how her odds would change if they withdrew the petition...or has the 'damage' been done as they (incorrectly) demonstrated Immigrant intent?
Of course, this is from trying to piece the story together from multiple posts. I could be totally wrong.
Yes, Meauxna is right, we do plan on settling in India after we're married. We Did file the I-129 out of ignorance, and I would withdraw it in an instant if I knew there were a simpler way. Seeing as we are NOT planning on immigrating to the US, should I withdraw my petition (I am almost certain they haven't even looked at it yet, as I filed in July, and they are still processing petitions dated in May) and try for a tourist visa? We could have a ceremony, he can meet my family and friends, and then we will return to India where we will settle.

I also had another idea... Perhaps I'll need to go back a little and tell you guys about my fiancee and I, for you to tell me if we have a chance at this:

I have been to India several times over the last few years, and stay for weeks to months at a time. I met my fiancee while setting up a medical clinic at his fathers orphanage. I return often to India for projects such as free camps, meds, educational classes, and free dental, eye and physical exams. I work for a ministry that is linked with his fathers ministry. His parents have travelled to the US a number of times to speak about their work among the orphans in India, but they are getting old, and they want my fiancee and I to take over.

So, my idea was this: we withdraw the I-129 and apply for either a tourist or business visa. The reason I include the business is the fact that several churches and organizations that are supporting our work in India ask for reports from time to time, on how the funds are being used, and what the progress is. Because my fiancee and I were planning on giving these reports while we are in the US, why not plan his trip as a 'business' trip, and while he is here we can have a ceremony to meet my family and friends. That way we get everything done in one swoop, and don't have to wait all this time for the immigration hassles.

I can contact several of the churches and ask them to write formal invitations, and prepare an itinerary for my fiancees trip, and we already have a financial sponsor.

What are our chances of getting a business visa, if we treat this like a business trip? Or, if not, a visitors visa? Does anyone know which one we're more likely to get?

Why am I in such a hurry? Well, my family has been planning a family reunion at Thanksgiving all year, and this is a rare chance for all of my out of town siblings to be with the family again, and for everyone to meet each others' spouses. I thought my fiancee and I could take advantage of the opportunity and have a small ceremony with all of my family together. They love the idea, but I'm starting to lose hope.

The funny thing is, my fiancee emailed and said one of his friends who works with people from the consulate, said that if we pay 2 lakhs rupees ($4000) he can get a visa without an interview, etc. We just pay the money and collect the visa. He could have it by the 17th! Yikes, that sounds fishy to me... but from my knowledge of India, I'm not surprised. 'Bribes' are commonly asked for, and commonly given. *sigh...

Since we can't afford a 'bribe' AND an airline ticket, we have to take the standard route. Should we even try? What do you all think? The non-immigrant visa application from India does ask 'Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?'. If we withdraw the I-129 how do we answer that? And, if we try for the tourist/business, do we need to mention that he is engaged to an American citizen, or just not worry about that part, and focus on his speaking engagements? (That seems like a no brainer, but I would like your opinions).
Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

He is probably youngish, single
Yes, he's 28.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

SanBernardino is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine is not a great suggestion, but the only one that comes to mind ...if you are willing to wager the price of the visa application fee.
You could go apply for the visa and explain all of this (more succinctly) to the visa officer: your desire to go to the US for the wedding and return after that. I'm not sure whether you should mention the Fiance application or not, but probably you should mention it at some point before they discover it, but after they hear your "case".

You should bring some proof of his need to return to work, finances, and obligations in India. The US visa officers are alleged to be more sympathetic to or trusting of Christians, so if you bring supporting papers from your sponsors and ministry in the US and India, then you might have a chance. If they give you the time to explain it... You will need to rehearse a succinct opening sentence to get their ear.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:02 am
ProfsnlOCMan

Are you much older than him ? Curious....

My gut feeling tells me something is up- especially the demand for
dollars to 'bribe' a visa out of the consulate staff.

I don't have any first-hand info to the contrary, but I find it very
very doubtful that the consular staff works with bribes. Yes, bribes
are commonplace in India, but I doubt a US Citizen, Dept of State
employee would risk life and career for 4 grand/visa.

And remember, the visa decsision is made by them, not a 'bribeable"
Indian citizen employee working in the lower rungs of the consulate
hierarchy.

The more I read your stuff, the more I wonder if this is one big con
game that is being played on you, so that your "fiancee" can come to
the USA - only to disappear. Seriously, think about that.

You will vehemently disagree with me at this moment, but if
unfortunately my prognostication proves to be correct, DO post an
update so others don't fall for the same kind of scam.

Good luck !!

DustyTraveller <member@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > He is probably youngish, single
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Yes, he's 28.

Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

No, I am 4 years younger than my fiancee. I can understand your doubts about our case, but I can assure you that our situation is genuine. I have known my fiancee and his family for several years now, and I can assure you that they are not trying to trick me into marrying their son. I spent 5 weeks with his parents on a fund-raising tour in the US, and they are as dear to me as my own parents. They are a good Christian family, just like my own. That is the main reason I fell in love with my fiancee and his family; they are wonderful people, and I trust them.

I should apologize because I think I gave the wrong impression about the 'bribes' in India. My fiancee's friends had told him 'stories' of wealthy Punjabis (who aparently are no longer being given visas anymore, but I don't really know if that's true) that pay anywhere from $5000-$30,000 to get visas to the US. Whether those stories are true or not, I don't know! When I mentioned in an earlier post about the $4000 that can supposedly get you a visa without any hassle, I was just passing on 'gossip' from India. I'm sorry for posting information that was just hearsay.

Just a side note: My future In-laws run a large Christian ministry in India and really have no reason to send one of their sons to the US to 'disappear'. They have govt. authorization to receive funding from foreign countries, (so they are not needy) and their whole family is proud of their acheivements and would much rather live in India to enjoy their prestige, rather than go to the US and become a 'nobody'.

I'm so sorry if I have mislead anyone about our case, and if you need me to clarify anything else, please let me know! Thanks so much for your concern on my behalf, I do appreciate it.

Are you much older than him ? Curious....

My gut feeling tells me something is up- especially the demand for
dollars to 'bribe' a visa out of the consulate staff.

I don't have any first-hand info to the contrary, but I find it very
very doubtful that the consular staff works with bribes. Yes, bribes
are commonplace in India, but I doubt a US Citizen, Dept of State
employee would risk life and career for 4 grand/visa.

And remember, the visa decsision is made by them, not a 'bribeable"
Indian citizen employee working in the lower rungs of the consulate
hierarchy.

The more I read your stuff, the more I wonder if this is one big con
game that is being played on you, so that your "fiancee" can come to
the USA - only to disappear. Seriously, think about that.

You will vehemently disagree with me at this moment, but if
unfortunately my prognostication proves to be correct, DO post an
update so others don't fall for the same kind of scam.

Good luck !!
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Just out of curiousity, those who posted 'no' or 'unlikely' as their assesment of his chances of getting a visitors visa, was it because of the situation in India, or because we already applied for the fiancee visa?

I called the INS and they said we should get an answer about the fiancee visa on our around December 17th, so maybe we'll wait and just go ahead and use that to bring him to the US for a visit, since we've already done all the paperwork. Does anyone know how long it *might* take to get all the paperwork to be completed in India? Might he be here by Christmas?
Old Nov 18th 2003, 7:02 am
ProfsnlOCMan

Please read my previous postings to you on this subject. That would
save you heartburn and energy.

1. THe likelihood of him getting a toursit visa are slim to none, as
explained earlier because unless he is a gazillionaire with the "right
address" in Bombay, they will view him as a potential "economic
refugee" who may never return back to India. Don't argue with me,
THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS WITH BOMBAY AND FOR GOOD REASONS.. Indians
are notorious for fraudulent tourist visa applications. (and Fiancee
visa applications too, for that matter...)

(And very creative..people with a US Tourist visa stamp on their
passport, can 'sell' their passport for upto 30,000 dollars. Yeah,
that's true, and this is in a country where the per capita income is
somewhere around 1,000 dollars a year)

2. TIMELINE.. Again, have you bothered to read ANY postings on Mumbai
and K1 ?

I personally posted one on March 10, 2003.

a. INS California approval to Mumbai file transfer time - 3-4 weeks

b. Submission of pre-prepared document package - 1 week

c. Interview date - 6-8 weeks after submission of the Mumbai
documents.

TOTAL - 10 weeks - 13 weeks AFTER INS/BCIS APPROVAL IN CALIFORNIA.

So he can forget "California Dreaming" for Christmas 2003. Kapisch ?

Maybe this is sweet justice - you are abusing US Laws to bring in a
fiancee even though you have no intentions of the two of you staying
here in the USA.
Sorry to sound harsh, but your type of application merely clogs up
our overloaded system for genuine K1ers who wish to come to the USA
and marry and live here.

DustyTraveller <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Folinskyinla
    >
    > > Hi:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > IMHO, I think the chances of visa issuance are nil, so timeline
    > > doesn't matter.
    >
    >
    >
    > Just out of curiousity, those who posted 'no' or 'unlikely' as their
    > assesment of his chances of getting a visitors visa, was it because
    > of the situation in India, or because we already applied for the
    > fiancee visa?
    >
    >
    >
    > I called the INS and they said we should get an answer about the fiancee
    > visa on our around December 17th, so maybe we'll wait and just go ahead
    > and use that to bring him to the US for a visit, since we've already
    > done all the paperwork. Does anyone know how long it *might* take to get
    > all the paperwork to be completed in India? Might he be here by
    > Christmas?

Old Nov 18th 2003, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS WITH BOMBAY
We're not working with the consulate in Bombay, we'd either go through Chennia (closest) or Delhi (second closest). Does that make any difference? (Sorry, I'm just curious).
you are abusing US Laws to bring in a fiancee even though you have no intentions of the two of you staying here in the USA. your type of application merely clogs up our overloaded system for genuine K1ers who wish to come to the USA and marry and live here.
I'm really sorry for 'clogging' things up for you guys, if we had known that we were going at this incorrectly, we'd have done it all very differently. I'll withdraw my K1 to make way for all the 'geunine' applications if I can find a different way, I promise. That's why I'm looking into visitors visas. But if, as I've been told, India gives out very few visitors visas, then do I have any other choice than to apply for the K1 or K3?

I'm so dissapointed that I didn't know we could have just gotten married this summer and gone the DCF way... I guess that's why I keep asking some of the same questions, I feel like I might miss something again. Now that we have already made one mistake I don't want to make any more. Forgive me if I have missed or forgotten some of your other posts, there's just so much information here that it's hard to retain and keep straight. I'm trying, thanks for being patient with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.