Tourist visa for MOM: Please help

Old May 2nd 2001, 2:26 am
Ta

Hi there Can somebody please anwer my following questions
1. Is there any appointment required in US Embassy for getting tourist visa for my
Mom in New Delhi?
2. Can a travel agent be hired who will help make a visa
3. Is there a chance of visa denial?
4. Is Bombay much better to go?
5. What are the requirements? Much thanks in advance

Old May 2nd 2001, 2:11 pm
Sea Juan

Hi,

>
    >

No. No appointment is required or given for non-immigrant visas. An appointment is
required and given for immigrant visas, although I cannot be certain about Indian
consulates.

>

Forget it. A travel agent can get you tickets and hotel bookings. Your mother will
have to go personally for the visa interview. Do not fall for anyone who offers to
'make a visa'. There is no such thing.

>

Yes. If the visa officer believes that your mother might overstay or have immigration
intent or is not disclosing her real intentions, the visa will be denied. On the
other hand, if she has a genuine reason to visit the USA and a sincere plan of coming
back, the visa is given.

>

No. If she lives in New Delhi, she should go to the New Delhi consulate.

>

She should prove a convincing reason to visit the USA (for example, spending a few
weeks/months with you or other family members). She should have significant 'binding
ties' to India, like a job, home, family members, etc. Should not hint in any way
that she plans to immigrate in future.

HTH Sea J.

Old May 7th 2001, 2:30 pm
Sea J.

>
    >
    >
    >

That is true. But that can be done only if the following two conditions are true:

1. The applicant has previously visited the USA and not overstayed.

2. The last visit was not more than 10 years ago.

In all other cases, the applicant must be present for the interview.

First-time applicants (as in the case of the original poster) *always* have to go
personally.

Sea J.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >