Tourist Visa to H4

Old Nov 23rd 2001, 5:38 pm
Daniel Ma

I searched above topic in discussion groups, and found it's more complicated than we
had thought. I am an H1B holder, my fiancee has got the tourist Visa, and she is
going to visit me very soon. At the beginning, we thought we could get married in US
and transfer the tourist Visa to H4. But I am scared after read some postings in the
groups regarding Visa Fraud. I need some advice. Probably, I have three solutions,
please point it to me which one is the best.

1. Get married in US, and tried to change status here;
2. Get married in US, but she goes back and apply H4 Visa in another country. (This
is the second best choice to me)
3. She has to go back after visiting me, and we try to get married abroad, and she
apply H4 again. (Worst case for me)

Does any one have better solution or has this kind of experience? Thanks for your
valuable input.

Daniel

Old Nov 24th 2001, 1:06 am
Tee

I just happened to go through exactly the same situation you fiancee is going to
face.

I entered to the US in B2 twice and stayed with my boyfriend at that time. In March,
we decided to get married here in the United State. I only filed the change of status
two months before my B2 was expired, and after 1.5 months I got the acknowledgement
letter from INS office in SF. It states that it will takes up to 325 days for INS to
process this kind of application. I was kind of stucked between the situation as a
result of INS 'slow', 'unbeliveable' procedure; and I needed to visit my parents in
my home country. Last month we decided to go to Calgary (after the advice from our
lawyer) to get the H4 for me, and I got my H4 right at the spot of Consular office
(it costs $45), even thought it costed us over thousand dollars for this trip and
wasted $120 for the application of change of Status inside the US.

My advice is, if your wife-to-be doesn't need to go back to her country soon after
you guys got married in the US, Getting the change of status for H4 inside the US is
more economical and less hassle.

Good luck!

Daniel Ma wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 24th 2001, 2:52 pm
Daniel Ma

Thanks Tee,

The problem here is when she applied for Visa, she did not specify that she was going
to marry a H1B holder. Is it legal to get married on tourist Visa?

If we get married in US, Do you mean go to Canada or Mexico for the change of Visa
stamp is a better way?

Thanks,

Daniel

tee <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I searched above topic in discussion groups, and found it's more complicated than[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > we had thought. I am an H1B holder, my fiancee has got the tourist Visa, and she[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is going to visit me very soon. At the beginning, we thought we could get married[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in US and transfer the tourist Visa to H4. But I am scared after read some[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > postings in the groups regarding Visa Fraud. I need some advice. Probably, I have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > three solutions, please point it to me which one is the best.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1. Get married in US, and tried to change status here;[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2. Get married in US, but she goes back and apply H4 Visa in another country.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (This is the second best choice to me)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3. She has to go back after visiting me, and we try to get married abroad, and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > she apply H4 again. (Worst case for me)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Does any one have better solution or has this kind of experience? Thanks for your[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > valuable input.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Daniel[/usenetquote2]

Old Nov 25th 2001, 8:40 am
Tee

I don't think that is going to be a problem, and I don't think it is illegal to get
married on tourist visa, based on my experience. Frankly saying, what the hell to do
with either INS or US embassy if one wants to marry in the US?

I didn't state that I was going to get married when I applied for B2 second time -
but I didn't have intention to get married after my arrival anyway. I guess if your
fiancee were to spefiy to get married in the US, she probably won't get her B2,
because the intention was wrong for B2, but I might be wrong.

I didn't say whether it is better to go to Canada or Mexico for the change of Visa is
a bettery way. What I was saying is, it very much depend on you guys situation and
decision, say, if you want to save money and do not mind to wait for a year for INS
to process the change of status inside the US, then I would advise you to do so. As
to my case, I didn't know it was going to take at least 325 days for INS to verify
such application at the very first place (I wouldn't have done it if I knew). And I
decided not to apply H4 in Mexico but Canada is just simply because my passport
doesn't requires VISA to enter Canada.

Daniel Ma wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I just happened to go through exactly the same situation you fiancee is going[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to face.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I entered to the US in B2 twice and stayed with my boyfriend at that time. In[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > March, we decided to get married here in the United State. I only filed the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > change of status two months before my B2 was expired, and after 1.5 months I got[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the acknowledgement letter from INS office in SF. It states that it will takes up[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to 325 days for INS to process this kind of application. I was kind of stucked[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > between the situation as a result of INS 'slow', 'unbeliveable' procedure; and I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > needed to visit my parents in my home country. Last month we decided to go to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Calgary (after the advice from our lawyer) to get the H4 for me, and I got my H4[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > right at the spot of Consular office (it costs $45), even thought it costed us[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > over thousand dollars for this trip and wasted $120 for the application of change[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > of Status inside the US.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My advice is, if your wife-to-be doesn't need to go back to her country soon[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > after you guys got married in the US, Getting the change of status for H4 inside[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the US is more economical and less hassle.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Good luck![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Daniel Ma wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I searched above topic in discussion groups, and found it's more complicated[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > than we had thought. I am an H1B holder, my fiancee has got the tourist Visa,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > and she is going to visit me very soon. At the beginning, we thought we could[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > get married in US and transfer the tourist Visa to H4. But I am scared after[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > read some postings in the groups regarding Visa Fraud. I need some advice.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Probably, I have three solutions, please point it to me which one is the best.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 1. Get married in US, and tried to change status here;[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2. Get married in US, but she goes back and apply H4 Visa in another country.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > (This is the second best choice to me)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 3. She has to go back after visiting me, and we try to get married abroad, and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > she apply H4 again. (Worst case for me)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Does any one have better solution or has this kind of experience? Thanks for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > your valuable input.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Daniel[/usenetquote2]

Old Nov 26th 2001, 6:21 pm
Daniel Ma

Thanks Tee. Let's say, if that time you decided to wait for INS result in US, but
your B2 visa was going to expired, what's the status for you to stay in US? Another
question is: in the waiting period (almost one year), could you be considered as
dependent of your husband, and your husband would pay less for income tax.

Thanks,

Daniel

tee <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > > I just happened to go through exactly the same situation you fiancee is going[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > to face.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I entered to the US in B2 twice and stayed with my boyfriend at that time. In[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > March, we decided to get married here in the United State. I only filed the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > change of status two months before my B2 was expired, and after 1.5 months I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > got the acknowledgement letter from INS office in SF. It states that it will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > takes up to 325 days for INS to process this kind of application. I was kind of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > stucked between the situation as a result of INS 'slow', 'unbeliveable'[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > procedure; and I needed to visit my parents in my home country. Last month we[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > decided to go to Calgary (after the advice from our lawyer) to get the H4 for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > me, and I got my H4 right at the spot of Consular office (it costs $45), even[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > thought it costed us over thousand dollars for this trip and wasted $120 for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the application of change of Status inside the US.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > My advice is, if your wife-to-be doesn't need to go back to her country soon[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > after you guys got married in the US, Getting the change of status for H4[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > inside the US is more economical and less hassle.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Good luck![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Daniel Ma wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I searched above topic in discussion groups, and found it's more complicated[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > than we had thought. I am an H1B holder, my fiancee has got the tourist Visa,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > and she is going to visit me very soon. At the beginning, we thought we could[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > get married in US and transfer the tourist Visa to H4. But I am scared after[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > read some postings in the groups regarding Visa Fraud. I need some advice.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Probably, I have three solutions, please point it to me which one is the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > best.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 1. Get married in US, and tried to change status here;[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 2. Get married in US, but she goes back and apply H4 Visa in another country.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > (This is the second best choice to me)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 3. She has to go back after visiting me, and we try to get married abroad,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > and she apply H4 again. (Worst case for me)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Does any one have better solution or has this kind of experience? Thanks for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > your valuable input.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Daniel[/usenetquote2]