Tourist to F1 to LPR?

Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist to F1 to LPR?

Originally Posted by meauxna
I started to write the same reply, but it looks like he'd like to start school sooner than later.
True, but then he said it's not mandatory that he attend school this year, he can always attend next year.

"Also note that I don't have to become a student this year. I could get my Green Card and work, applying again next year. But I've been accepted, and it feels like too good a chance to turn away."

Personally, I'd get immigration out of the way first, and then look into attending school once I'm established in the USA. Otherwise, it seems he's trying to accomplish too many things all in one visa.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 31st 2006 at 8:15 am.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
True, but then he said it's not mandatory that he attend school this year, if there is a better plan available. Personally, I'd get immigration out of the way first, and then look into attending school once I'm established in the USA.

Rene
Well you know I already agree that the benefits of entering with an Immigrant Visa far outweigh any messing around with AOS <g>.

which is much nicer than my original reply
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Personally, I'd get immigration out of the way first, and then look into attending school once I'm established in the USA. Otherwise, it seems he's trying to accomplish too many things all in one visa.
not to mention as a resident, would probably get a better rate at uni rather than as an international student which will hurt the bank...
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:38 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not to mention as a resident, would probably get a better rate at uni rather than as an international student which will hurt the bank...

After the first year, probably. I believe most unis require students to have been resident in the state for at least a year to qualify for resident fees. Whereas on an F1, AFAIK, you pay out-of-state tuition for the duration of the course.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

OP: I can understand how you might feel it is too good of an opportunity to pass up. But you may not have to choose between passing up university acceptance and screwing up your immigration. Ask BU if you can defer enrollment to next year. You have a pretty good reason for asking for deferment and IMO have a good chance of having it granted.

Elvira & Bob: AFAIK Boston U. is a private institution and thus the tuition should be the same amount of money whether you are in-state, out-of-state or international. At least, that's how it was at my school.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 2:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hcj1440
...Ask BU if you can defer enrollment to next year. You have a pretty good reason for asking for deferment and IMO have a good chance of having it granted.

Elvira & Bob: AFAIK Boston U. is a private institution and thus the tuition should be the same amount of money whether you are in-state, out-of-state or international. At least, that's how it was at my school.
defer a year is a good idea, most places will do it if they like you or you have a good reason...

As for fee's, in-state/out of etc, it becomes relevant when looking for student loans, scholarships and bursaries because often you have to be at least an LPR and and resident of that state to qualify for them.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 2:50 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hcj1440
You've got it right. "In-state" vs "Out-of-state" applies to state-run ("public") colleges and universities. In-state students have lower tuition rates at public institutions because, as state residents, they/their parents pay state taxes which help fund educational institutions. Out-of-state students (non-residents) don't pay state taxes so their tuition rates are higher.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:20 pm

Clarino is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Many thanks indeed for these thoughts. I've undertaken to make this as straightforward as possible, and to risk no complications with USCIS about arriving on one visa, converting mid-stay, etc.

I've asked Boston for their advice. The deferred entry is an interesting idea, and I shall bear that in mind, but I'd really, really prefer to find a way of becoming a student sooner rather than later - I've already been waiting a long time for this and an anxious to get started!

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Cheers,

Graham