Totally lost

Old May 30th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

mr.rugby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Totally lost

Hello everyone,

I sincerely apologize if this has been covered, as no doubt it has been many numerous times. The bottom line here, is I have been enquiring into moving/relocating to the US, and from what I am reading I can only come up with these options to get into the country. Please feel free to comment, point me in the right direction etc as I am totally new to all this stuff. The only options I can see are...

1. Fall in love, get married, gain citizenship.
2. Get a job, either a fresh job, current job relocation etc.
3. Go to study.
4. Green card.

I will tell you a little bit about myself. I am a 25 year old male with a computer science bachelors degree. I also have other formal IT qualifications. I have about 4 years experience in IT. My criminal record is fully clear. Due to my job I have highest level security clearance, so from a character point of view I personally think I am pretty fine. I live at home, have good savings, my own car which I own, and could sell at the drop of a hat for some more money, so financially there are no issues. I am currently in a bit of a rut, and would like to give it all up, and head to the states. A standard visa only allows 90 days in the country, which realistically is not enough. Being a UK citizen, I am also eligible for dual nationality with the Irish Republic, and I was wondering if it would be easier that way?

Please can someone give me any kind of advice, no matter how small would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to answer any questions. Please feel free to be as blunt with me too if required, I appreciate I may be living in a dream world

Thanks in advance
Old May 30th 2011, 5:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Totally lost

It's a quiet holiday here. I'm going to suggest that you read the sticky thread (really really read me) to make adjustments to the list you have (which is more or less right) and then spend your day browsing the forum for the other posts similar to yours.

There is a similar thread in the USA forum; it never got moved to Immigration because they don't really have a shot at a visa.
No visa, no moving.

You need a close family member, specialized employment or a stroke of very good luck, those are about the only ways into the US.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that... I am assuming that there is no way of getting a visa longer than the standard 90 day holiday visa without a job offer or something similar?
Old May 30th 2011, 5:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr.rugby
Thanks for that... I am assuming that there is no way of getting a visa longer than the standard 90 day holiday visa without a job offer or something similar?
For what purpose? Just hanging out? No, not really.

The 90 day admission is not a visa, it's the visa waiver program.. waiving the need for a visa. Since you are allowed to come hassle free for a 90 day visit, that should cover your tourist activity.

Plenty of people here will tell you that it would be foolish to chuck what you've got going now to come here because you feel in a rut.
Take a year off traveling. I did that (and again and again). It cured my rut.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Not without a job offer from a company willing to sponsor you for a visa. Or if you work for a company with offices in the US, an inter company transfer.

Number 1 on you list is always available, providing it is a genuine relationship of course.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Being a UK citizen, I am also eligible for dual nationality with the Irish Republic, and I was wondering if it would be easier that way?
It wouldn't make it any easier, but I'm intrigued - how can you get dual nationality just because you are a UK citizen?
Old May 30th 2011, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not without a job offer from a company willing to sponsor you for a visa. Or if you work for a company with offices in the US, an inter company transfer.

Number 1 on you list is always available, providing it is a genuine relationship of course.
thanks for that... I realise number 1 on my list as you say is probably best... however, I am not bad with the ladies, but to seal the deal within 90 days... I am not THAT good lol
Old May 30th 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It wouldn't make it any easier, but I'm intrigued - how can you get dual nationality just because you are a UK citizen?
UK and Republic of Ireland allow you to hold dual nationality. Either UK or Irish nationality. I for one have both a UK passport, and an Irish passport. I was just wondering that if I were to do all my legality for applying to the US under my Irish passport would it make a difference. But as you say, it will not.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

UK and Republic of Ireland allow you to hold dual nationality. Either UK or Irish nationality. I for one have both a UK passport, and an Irish passport. I was just wondering that if I were to do all my legality for applying to the US under my Irish passport would it make a difference. But as you say, it will not.
Ah, I see. The way I read your post was that you thought you automatically got Irish citizenship if you applied for it, just because you are a UKC! So you are already dual nationality, which is good, but I don't think it will help you unless Ireland is eligible to take part in the DV Lottery?
Old May 30th 2011, 5:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
but I don't think it will help you unless Ireland is eligible to take part in the DV Lottery?
It is.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry apologies. It was the way I worded it.

Yeah the Republic of Ireland is eligible for DV lottery. I actually live in Northern Ireland, and although part of the UK, and unlike the rest of the UK is also eligible to apply for DV lottery too, for some reason? I was looking for more of a quick fix type thing, but after a bit of research I figured trying to get into the US was near an impossible feat, and you have made my nightmares come true lol
Old May 30th 2011, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry apologies. It was the way I worded it.

Yeah the Republic of Ireland is eligible for DV lottery. I actually live in Northern Ireland, and although part of the UK, and unlike the rest of the UK is also eligible to apply for DV lottery too, for some reason? I was looking for more of a quick fix type thing, but after a bit of research I figured trying to get into the US was near an impossible feat, and you have made my nightmares come true lol
The DV lottery is done by country of *birth*, irrespective of citizenship, and all of Ireland, Republic and NI qualifies. If you were born in NI then the DV lottery is a potential route for you.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Born in Belfast... for my sins so i will take a look into that. is there much invovled in filling in the form, fees etc?
Old May 30th 2011, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Born in Belfast... for my sins so i will take a look into that. is there much invovled in filling in the form, fees etc?
No fees, all on line.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Travel around is good advice, get a job else where in the EU where you don't need a visa is also good experience.

What do you hope to gain in the US? Any particular areas of interest? Best bet is a company transfer, so blag a job with M/S or Google perhaps and see if you can work a transfer in a few years down the line...

Any jobs requiring a security clearance is realistically a no go, generally won't get clearance worth much not being a USC and even then, you might still not get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.