Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

too many visits to US on VWP - being questioned?

too many visits to US on VWP - being questioned?

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: too many visits to US on VWP - being questioned?

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Well I guess the fact that I was told later by CBP that the lady at the INS (what it used to be called I think) was RIGHT is neither here nor there!
He lied to you. He is allowed to lie to you.

What it all boils down to, is being honest up front and facing the consequences !!
Yes, I agree.

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:58 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
He lied to you. He is allowed to lie to you.

Yes, I agree.

Ian

I guess everyone lies ! But as he's a personal friend, I guess that doesn't preclude him from your comments either ! LOL Oh well....guess I just have to agree to disagree, and it was of course just my personal opinion and my experience. One of the joys of living in the US.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:32 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Semantics can be important. Here you've described your purpose in two different ways - "be with" has a connotation of 'for the duration' which "visit" does not.
But not knowing any different I thought that as I was married I could come over and be with my husband while we waited. I wasn't going to be working and my husband was supporting me, so i didn't see a problem. When I landed at LAX the officer asked me the purpose of my visit. I was totally honest with him and said "I'm here to be with my husband while we wait for the residency paperwork to go through'. He stamped my passport and waved me through.

It was only when my husband and I went for the residency interview that the lady we spoke to said that the officer at LAX had been wrong and that he should have turned me away IMMEDIATELY and sent me back to Australia, but the fact that I had told him about my husband and the reason for my visit, and that he hadn't turned me away was not my fault and they let me stay - but I must admit it was CLOSE!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
There is a large subjective component inherent in the decisions by the Dark Forces at the ports of entry. And there are no hard and fast rules.

For example, lets say a person engaged in a hot and heavy TransAtlantic relationship and comes here for one week every two months -- the number of short visits actually establishes the "bona fides" of the visit. The person has an excellent immigration history and has demonstrated a habit of departing timely.

No flip it around a bit, the person goes to the UK for one week every two months -- although the person has a history of timely departing, they also have a history of spending the vast majority of time in the US. Doesn't look so good.

Each case is different.
I made numerous visits on the VWP once or twice a month and was never questioned.
So I assume my immigration history satisfied them.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:05 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Semantics can be important. Here you've described your purpose in two different ways - "be with" has a connotation of 'for the duration' which "visit" does not.
The word visit in the last paragraph refers to what the Immigration offical said. She referred to it as a visit. But you're right it's just semantics lol
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Whichever way you look at it, it's an abuse of the VWP and the powers that be DO have the right to turn you away from the airport, because just by coming and going so many times they have the thought that you might be planning to stay, live, work here in the US. Which you are ! The fact you have a BF would be another red flag.
I was in a similar situation many years ago. I had married a US citizen and flew back to Australia while waiting for all the spousal sponsorship paperwork was going through. I wanted to make sure I was doing everything the RIGHT way, the LEGAL way, because there are more than enough illegal residents here in the US already!!!

But not knowing any different I thought that as I was married I could come over and be with my husband while we waited. I wasn't going to be working and my husband was supporting me, so i didn't see a problem. When I landed at LAX the officer asked me the purpose of my visit. I was totally honest with him and said "I'm here to be with my husband while we wait for the residency paperwork to go through'. He stamped my passport and waved me through.

It was only when my husband and I went for the residency interview that the lady we spoke to said that the officer at LAX had been wrong and that he should have turned me away IMMEDIATELY and sent me back to Australia, but the fact that I had told him about my husband and the reason for my visit, and that he hadn't turned me away was not my fault and they let me stay - but I must admit it was CLOSE!

But the simple fact is it is WRONG ! You lie by omission at the airport by not telling them about the boyfriend, so that makes you lose credibility as to the REAL purpose of your visit. The fact that you come and go so frequently I'm surprised they haven't already tried to turn you back at the airport because it should be sending big warning flags to them.

As others have said...can your BF meet you half way? If the relationship is that important then do things the RIGHT way, and if your relationship suffers then it wasn't meant to be in the first place. Wouldn't you much prefer to be allowed to enter the country legally rather than be banned for 10 years????
I agree that the lady who dissed the LAX inspector was wrong.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But you're right it's just semantics...
With respect, it's not just semantics. There's a legal difference between the two... and the CBP officer was correct.

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:43 pm
Yorkshire Lass

With respect, it's not just semantics. There's a legal difference between the two... and the CBP officer was correct.

Ian
Ok. Well you are obviously more well informed about the law and who was right and who was wrong. But from my point of view sitting in that office thinking they were possibly going to send me back to Australia was a scary prospect. So at the time both my husband and I had no reason to believe she was lying.

And when I leave this country in a week I will be sure to not pay attention to anything the Immigration people might tell me lol
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

And when I leave this country in a week I will be sure to not pay attention to anything the Immigration people might tell me lol
There is no immigration exit control in the US... you won't be talking to any US immigration officers.

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:14 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I also believe the lady was probably wrong. A person who is knee deep in the expense of an immigrant visa application at a consulate is of low risk to enter under the VWP with the intention of staying and adjusting. If adjustment was the plan, then the immigrant visa application would likely have never been filed. Of course, if that immigrant visa application has caught a snag.... all bets are off.

Also, if the "visitor" who is waiting for the IV approval has already sold her home, car, and quit her job pending approval then that person is technically ineligible for the VWP because a visitor must have an unrelinquished foreign residence she has no intention of abandoning on that entry. So I could see circumstances where that lady could have been correct such as if the person had already terminated ties to her home country.

Wouldn't you much prefer to be allowed to enter the country legally rather than be banned for 10 years????
You may already know this part, but I wanted to clarify for other readers. A VWP refusal, by itself, has no bar from reentry. The refusal is overcome by a successful visa application and admission/entry to the US. A VWP Removal has a 10-year bar. That is for people who are admitted under the VWP, leave the port of entry, and are then hit with an immigration warrant of arrest within the US and removed. It can happen if the person is arrested for something else, gets found to be out of status by working without permission, overstay, being inadmissible at the time of entry for something that wasn't known at the time. It can also happen if the person tries to exit the US and get sent back by the country they tried to depart to. That person would be removed instead of refused.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I made numerous visits on the VWP once or twice a month and was never questioned.
So I assume my immigration history satisfied them.
A Canadian woman on BE (a lawyer) did the same thing for a year or two crossing the border almost every weekend to see her boyfriend until one day she was taken to secondary. After that it become more difficult to enter the US until she married and immigrated to the US.

So maybe in her case, it could have been good luck since apparently he proposed to allow them to be together.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:52 am
Yorkshire Lass

There is no immigration exit control in the US... you won't be talking to any US immigration officers.

Ian
That's true they aren't interested when I leave the country lol
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

My point was that it's not "just semantics". The different connotations that similar words have can make a significant difference. Politicians who have found themselves in deep doo-doo know this all to well, that's why they have people on their staffs to make sure they phrase things in a way that will make the public happy rather than piss the public off.

If your were entering the USA to visit your husband then the CBP officer was correct to grant you entry. If you were entering the USA to be with your husband [until your visa interview] then arguably, as the USCIS case officer felt, the CBP officer should have denied you entry.

Regards, JEff

But you're right it's just semantics lol
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:37 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
My point was that it's not "just semantics". The different connotations that similar words have can make a significant difference. Politicians who have found themselves in deep doo-doo know this all to well, that's why they have people on their staffs to make sure they phrase things in a way that will make the public happy rather than piss the public off.

If your were entering the USA to visit your husband then the CBP officer was correct to grant you entry. If you were entering the USA to be with your husband [until your visa interview] then arguably, as the USCIS case officer felt, the CBP officer should have denied you entry.

Regards, JEff
Sorry I misread your original comment so that's my fault for the misinterpretation. Either way it worked out okay in the end, but thanks for clarifying !
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:49 pm

Yes, and I am happy for you that it did work out OK.

Regards, JEff

Either way it worked out okay in the end,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.