Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Timeframe for Petition To Remove Conditions on Residence

Timeframe for Petition To Remove Conditions on Residence

Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:12 am
Just Joined

PittsburghKiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timeframe for Petition To Remove Conditions on Residence

Hey All,

To be honest Im actually a Kiwi who needs some feedback and or advice. Ive been in the US since 2003 and after all the messing around with all the immigration woes and worries. Im needing some help.

I have gone through most of the process well I think so anyhows. I had the conditions removed on my greencard so im officially a permanant resident. But how long does this stuff take. The final interview was in May and approved and i havnt seen or heard anything!!! I havnt recieved even such things as a letter. So my sleepless nights are coming into play as the interviewer took my expired green card and my letter that said I was legal due to the condtions being removed that was valid for a year. You know the one that you get when you send in the paperwork etc to get the removal. The thing is even that expires at the end of the month!!!!

So i basiclly have only my social security card and a state id that expires in october.

Does anybody here know anything like how long this stuff should take or what i should do:? As my job has a copy of the document that states im good till the end of the month but they will need something saying im legal to work etc to stay on. Do i have to contact anybody to get another document that states im a legal permant residant and my card is coming or something of the like.

Any help would really be appreciated
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeframe for Petition To Remove Conditions on Residence

You must have been one of the rare folks who had an interview associated with the removal of conditions? Most do not.

It's been a couple of months now, right? You should have received your 10-year green card in the mail by now. Make an Infopass appointment at your local district office, and find out why you have not received it yet. It should not be taking this long.

Rene
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeframe for Petition To Remove Conditions on Residence

Originally Posted by PittsburghKiwi
The thing is even that expires at the end of the month!!!!
<snip>
As my job has a copy of the document that states im good till the end of the month but they will need something saying im legal to work etc to stay on. Do i have to contact anybody to get another document that states im a legal permant residant and my card is coming or something of the like.
Since your evidence of status is expiring (the letter) within one month, you should make an InfoPass appointment (at uscis.gov) for your local office, go in, and ask for a stamp in your passport. They should not give you a hard time about this, but if they do, point out that your old card was taken and you have no current proof of status as required by law. With a smile.
At the same time, ask them to please check on the card production order I-89, to make sure that it was sent in (ours was accidentally sent to storage).

If you showed a Green Card when you were originally hired, your employer does not need to (and is not allowed to) re-verify your status. You are a Permanent Resident and have been since you got your Green Card. Your employer can review the form I-9 to see that they don't need to do this. What have they said to you?