Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Time Scales For Citizenship Application

Time Scales For Citizenship Application

Old Jul 9th 2017, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time Scales For Citizenship Application

Hi all,

I know that the required time in the US is 3 years (married to a USC) to apply for Citizenship. However, when we took our daughter for hers at the USCIS they said you can submit the application 90 days before. Does anyone know if that is correct?

I know this is largely a moot point in most instances but I may be running for public office in November 2018. My 3 years are up on May 27th 2018 so it's a tight run thing and I'd rather apply as early as possible because being a US citizen is a requirement.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 1:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time Scales For Citizenship Application

Yes, the N-400 can be submitted up to 90 days before your 3rd anniversary as a PR.

You must have been a PR for 3 years, and must have been married for 3 years, by the time of the N-400 interview.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2017, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, the N-400 can be submitted up to 90 days before your 3rd anniversary as a PR.

You must have been a PR for 3 years, and must have been married for 3 years, by the time of the N-400 interview.

Rene
I thought it was that you had to be married to the same USC for 3 years at the time of the filing, not just at the time of the interview. Once again, I could have a faulty memory here.

For the OP, you are cutting it very close because the process at the moment is roughly 6 months but it might be longer in 2018 or then again, it might be shorter. Don't you have to be a USC at the time of nomination or tossing your hat in the ring? So say you get your interview by August, 2018 and your swearing in ceremony is not until September, then you will only have two months to campaign.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I thought it was that you had to be married to the same USC for 3 years at the time of the filing, not just at the time of the interview.
Good question. I'm not sure now, either. The N-400 instructions or the USCIS Guide to Naturalization probably have the answer.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Good question. I'm not sure now, either. The N-400 instructions or the USCIS Guide to Naturalization probably have the answer.

Rene
Thinking logistically when it pertains to marriage to a USC from another visa or even in country, then the marriage would be over 3 years at the time of filing since it takes months for the AOS to be adjudicated.

So either way, it would appear that the marriage would have celebrated its third anniversary.

The only time would make a difference is if the naturalizer had a green card and then married a US Citizen. Then the possibility of the marriage not being 3 years old at the time filing might be an issue.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was that you had to be married to the same USC for 3 years at the time of the filing, not just at the time of the interview. Once again, I could have a faulty memory here.

For the OP, you are cutting it very close because the process at the moment is roughly 6 months but it might be longer in 2018 or then again, it might be shorter. Don't you have to be a USC at the time of nomination or tossing your hat in the ring? So say you get your interview by August, 2018 and your swearing in ceremony is not until September, then you will only have two months to campaign.

Rene
#

Thinking logistically when it pertains to marriage to a USC from another visa or even in country, then the marriage would be over 3 years at the time of filing since it takes months for the AOS to be adjudicated.

So either way, it would appear that the marriage would have celebrated its third anniversary.

The only time would make a difference is if the naturalizer had a green card and then married a US Citizen. Then the possibility of the marriage not being 3 years old at the time filing might be an issue.
The marriage to the USC is 11 years old, the presence in the US is the issue. We were married in 2006 but we lived in the UK until 2015. I'm just thinking if I apply 90 days before the 3 years, I may stand a better chance of it being done by November.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 6:51 pm
Concierge

Then you are set to go. Good luck with a fast turn around on the naturalization and a well timed campaign.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
The marriage to the USC is 11 years old, the presence in the US is the issue. We were married in 2006 but we lived in the UK until 2015. I'm just thinking if I apply 90 days before the 3 years, I may stand a better chance of it being done by November.
I agree. You're good to apply up to 90 days ahead of time. Just make sure you count 90 days backwards from your 3rd anniversary as a PR (not 3 months).

Rene
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:04 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. You're good to apply up to 90 days ahead of time. Just make sure you count 90 days backwards from your 3rd anniversary as a PR (not 3 months).

Rene
You don't even need to do this. CIS has a tool that does it for you.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...alculator.html
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
Hi all,

I know that the required time in the US is 3 years (married to a USC) to apply for Citizenship. However, when we took our daughter for hers at the USCIS they said you can submit the application 90 days before. Does anyone know if that is correct?

I know this is largely a moot point in most instances but I may be running for public office in November 2018. My 3 years are up on May 27th 2018 so it's a tight run thing and I'd rather apply as early as possible because being a US citizen is a requirement.

Thanks in advance.
Yep - you can apply from 90 before your 'anniversary' date.

I had my interview last week so just want to mention current processing times - I filed last October, so 9 months to interview. Looking at a 60 day wait for oath ceremony, so a total of 11 months. That's the current reality so, as Rete says, you're cutting it real close. If you're earliest date of filing is 2/26/2018 then you'd think 10 months would do it but processing is really slow right now.

Good luck!
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shezi59
If you're earliest date of filing is 2/26/2018 then you'd 10 months would do it but processing is really slow right now.
One thing to remember about early filing is that CIS can't approve an N-400 until at the earliest your anniversary date (ie, completing the 3 years of residency). So you can file early - indeed, I did - but you then have to wait at least 3 months for any interview to be scheduled.