time limit on documents?

Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kocourkov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default time limit on documents?

I have a basic question here.... getting my wife of more than two years her Green Card. (May be transferring back to the States in the spring of next year.) We need to get a few documents together, including police reports, marriage certificate and birth certificate. My question is are their time limits on these documents? For example, I got a marriage certificate earlier this year when visiting her country, translated it and got that certified by the local US consulate. However, since we may well be applying near the end of this year, I'm concerned that the document may be 'out of date' because it's older than 6 months. (Anybody who's lived in Europe will know this routine...)

We'll be doing a DCF by the way...
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: time limit on documents?

Originally Posted by Kocourkov
I have a basic question here.... getting my wife of more than two years her Green Card. (May be transferring back to the States in the spring of next year.) We need to get a few documents together, including police reports, marriage certificate and birth certificate. My question is are their time limits on these documents? For example, I got a marriage certificate earlier this year when visiting her country, translated it and got that certified by the local US consulate. However, since we may well be applying near the end of this year, I'm concerned that the document may be 'out of date' because it's older than 6 months. (Anybody who's lived in Europe will know this routine...)

We'll be doing a DCF by the way...
hiya K,
Some of the expiration dates will be Consulate-specific---remind us where you are filing please.
The marriage certificate and birth certificates won't expire.. they happened when they happened and you can't change that.

Police certs will *usually* be accepted by the Consulates for up to one year (even if the document says it expires) but you will be better off looking for experience posts from YOUR Consulate.
I don't recommend you try to do the medical ahead of time; follow instructions in the visa application packet you'll eventually get.