Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

time estimate for receiving documents from USCIS for a H1-B petition

time estimate for receiving documents from USCIS for a H1-B petition

Old May 24th 2009, 10:21 am
f_t
Just Joined

f_t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default time estimate for receiving documents from USCIS for a H1-B petition

My H1-B petition was approved on May 5. My employer used premium processing for the petition, but still hasn't received the official documents(I-797) from USCIS. He got an email notice that the petition was approved on May 5.

How long does it generally take to receive the documents for a H1-B petition from USCIS in such a scenario?

Can someone please advise?

Thanks a lot.
Old May 24th 2009, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: time estimate for receiving documents from USCIS for a H1-B petition

Originally Posted by f_t
How long does it generally take to receive the documents for a H1-B petition from USCIS in such a scenario?
I'd give it until the end of June. You can't enter the US until September 20, so it's not something that needs to be rushed.

Ian
Old May 24th 2009, 1:42 pm
f_t
Just Joined

Default Re: time estimate for receiving documents from USCIS for a H1-B petition

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'd give it until the end of June.
Does USCIS state that somewhere that it takes about 2 months to send the approval notices for premium processing?

You can't enter the US until September 20, so it's not something that needs to be rushed.

Ian
My employer is a university(which is cap exempt) so I do not have to wait till the year starts on Oct 1.

Generally, it is a good idea if you get the documents quickly as then begins the tough part of applying for a visa. There are cases where due to some 221(g) clause a visa process may take upto 3 months. So, starting the visa process early is advisable whether your employer is cap exempt or not.

Thanks for your time
Old May 24th 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

When you have paid for premium processing, I believe you have bought the right to speak to USCIS "directly" on the telephone. I would give them a call, it can't hurt.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:07 pm
f_t
Just Joined

Originally Posted by henryh
When you have paid for premium processing, I believe you have bought the right to speak to USCIS "directly" on the telephone. I would give them a call, it can't hurt.
Well, I hear USCIS generally responds to employer inquiries (as it is the employer who petitions for the worker). I contacted my employer, but did not hear back from them and don't want to appear as a pest to them even before joining them.
But, yes you are right, I could call them(reaching a live person on the USCIS phone number is somewhat difficult, though) and ask them this question as a general question.

Thanks for your time and advice.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uscis.gov/premiumprocessing

"If you have already filed a Request for Premium Processing Service and you need to contact the Service Center, call the Premium Processing Toll Free phone number at 1-866-315-5718. You will need to have your receipt number when you call, because this phone number is only for inquiries relating to Premium Processing Service."

You might get better results with that than with the general USCIS phone number. That webpage says that only the petitioner may *apply* for premium processing (though the beneficiary may pay), but it doesn't say anything about who can enquire about the progress of the case. I assume you have your receipt number.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:51 pm
f_t
Just Joined

Originally Posted by henryh
http://www.uscis.gov/premiumprocessing

"If you have already filed a Request for Premium Processing Service and you need to contact the Service Center, call the Premium Processing Toll Free phone number at 1-866-315-5718. You will need to have your receipt number when you call, because this phone number is only for inquiries relating to Premium Processing Service."

You might get better results with that than with the general USCIS phone number. That webpage says that only the petitioner may *apply* for premium processing (though the beneficiary may pay), but it doesn't say anything about who can enquire about the progress of the case. I assume you have your receipt number.
Thanks for the link.

I knew it, the phone number as well as the email address([email protected]) for premium processing before I posted here. I will try calling, but as a general rule USCIS employees do not give information to candidates. I have the receipt number and will see what happens if I call.

Thanks again for your aid and time.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by f_t
My employer is a university(which is cap exempt) so I do not have to wait till the year starts on Oct 1. ... Thanks for the link. I knew it, the phone number as well as the email address([email protected]) for premium processing before I posted here.
It's a common mistake made by new posters, but y'know... it would have been helpful if you had indicated these facts in your original post. It would have saved everyone some time and energy. We aren't mind readers.

Ian
Old May 25th 2009, 4:41 am
f_t
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's a common mistake made by new posters, but y'know... it would have been helpful if you had indicated these facts in your original post. It would have saved everyone some time and energy. We aren't mind readers.

Ian
My apologies. I should have been more careful. I will try to be in my next post.
Thanks for pointing it out.