Tijuana Border crossing for I-94

Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

MKCLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tijuana Border crossing for I-94

HI All - My wife and I have L1/2 visa and I94; my two daughters are still on their VWP although they do have L2 in their passport (basically girls were on holiday in US with G/parents while my wife and I left to get the L1/2).

At the weekend we travelled across the border at Tijuana; immediately crossed the road and came back thru the border to get the girls I94's.

We saw the HUGE line and decided to get on a bus (1 hour verses 4 hours was a good deal).

However when we got to the crossing and went thru, the officer on duty just checked out passports then waved us thru. We checked with another official who said the immigration section where we should have got the I94's was 'way back down the line' - so using the bus to ''jump' the line turned out to be a bad idea as I wasnt prepared to go back.

I didnt feel comfortable doing this in the first place so having survivied I didnt want to try the process again :-)

Has anyone done a similar thing in Tijuana ? - Do you have to line up in the HUGE line or can you come to the front and go thru the cordoned off 'little' gate to the side of the turnstile where there only seemed to be a hand ful of people compared to thousands!

Is ther a 'quiet' time at the Tijuana border?

Also does any one have ideas of other border crossings that are easier (we are in Orange County, CA). We have looked at trains planes and automobiles but the prices are crazy for the four of us.

Thanks for any advice!

Mark
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tijuana Border crossing for I-94

I don't understand what you're trying to do - activate the girls' L2 visa?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I punted this to the visa section, you'll probably have more luck with help...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

Whether the POE oficer takes the I-94W and swaps it for the I-94 is totally at their discretion since you're only going to Mexico. Sickly sweet and polite would be my advice. Oh, and take a book for the wait.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:06 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused by the OP's intentions too.

There is a form (I forget which, but I'm sure the OP can find it) that allows for renewal of an I-94. With valid visas in the daughters' passports, this should be a formality, and doesn't necessitate silly games with crossing the border. You just have to fill the form out and take it to a local USCIS office.

It's been about 3 years since I did this, but it was quick and painless (and free, so I remember). The only difficult was finding the grotty little USCIS office near DFW airport, and braving the blatantly racist ICE officer in there who was a complete asshole... only to finally have my paperwork processed by a more senior Hispanic officer who was absolutely charming!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm confused by the OP's intentions too.

There is a form (I forget which, but I'm sure the OP can find it) that allows for renewal of an I-94. With valid visas in the daughters' passports, this should be a formality, and doesn't necessitate silly games with crossing the border. You just have to fill the form out and take it to a local USCIS office.
Problem is they are VWP -- can't use the easy form method!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:22 am
Just Joined

MKCLH is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, I am trying to activate my daughter's I-94 (currently on VWP).

I am going back to Tijuana tomorrow so will hopefully provide you with the good news.

THanks for the advice.

Mark.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MKCLH
yes, I am trying to activate my daughter's I-94 (currently on VWP).

I am going back to Tijuana tomorrow so will hopefully provide you with the good news.
Keep in mind that when you cross into Mexico at Tijuana there are no CBP officers to whom you can hand in your daughter's I94W slip, so when you enter the US again she might still be considered as being on the VWP.

It takes a while to cross the border at Tijuana by car. Last week it took me almost one hour. It's probably much quicker if you walk through.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Mr Spouse is an unknown quantity at this point

The typical vehicle crossing wait at Tijuana/San Ysidro is around 2-3 hours, according to the reports on KPBS in San Diego. People who live in TJ cross every day to work, so I can't see it taking 4 hours normally.

The next crossing to the east, Otay Mesa, is usually quieter - it's off Hwy 905, which crosses the 5 and 805 just before the border.

From what I've read and been told about visiting Mexico, anyone with an I-94 or I-94W crossing the border for less than 30 days should be allowed back in the US on their original visa. Going into Mexico just for the purpose of re-establishing entry rights is frowned upon. Because you're looking for an L-2 you could be ok, because you are comitted to a long stay anyway but anyone on a B visa would have questions asked of them.

Did you ask border officials before leaving the US if you could do things the way you wanted? I always find it better to get some peace of mind that they should let me back and not leave me stranded in Mexico!