Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to the USA.. Don't know where to start!

Thinking of moving to the USA.. Don't know where to start!

Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Little_Miss_Aimz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to the USA.. Don't know where to start!

Hiya everyone,

Let me introduce myself. I am a 20 yr old student, in my first year of a BEd (Hons) Primary Music degree. I have Grade 8 Clarinet, Grade 7 Piano, Grade 5 Saxophone and Grade 5 Theory.

Every since I was 7, I have visited America every few years; last year, I spent 6 weeks in the country. I know that I really would like to live there. However I am not sure that if what I can offer will be enough for the country to grant me residency. I would like to know either way.. If it is possible, I would rather know now. I know that I have not included a lot of information about myself.. So fire away and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to help me out - I really do value and appreciate your contributions x
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of moving to the USA.. Don't know where to start!

Have you thought of moving from Miss to Mrs?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little_Miss_Aimz
I am a 20 yr old student, in my first year of a BEd (Hons) Primary Music degree. I have Grade 8 Clarinet, Grade 7 Piano, Grade 5 Saxophone and Grade 5 Theory.
Once you graduate, join a world-class orchestra (the LSO comes to mind), then become first chair, then a soloist... and then look at an O visa. Or, skip the orchestra stuff and go straight to soloist... and the O visa. Either way it's doable.

Or... marry a US citizen. Probably much quicker... but less satisfying than a music career.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Once you graduate, join a world-class orchestra (the LSO comes to mind), then become first chair, then a soloist... and then look at an O visa. Or, skip the orchestra stuff and go straight to soloist... and the O visa. Either way it's doable.
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to reply Its great to know that I do have a chance at doing this! What is an O Visa?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to reply Its great to know that I do have a chance at doing this! What is an O Visa?
Google?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Have you thought of moving from Miss to Mrs?
Haha.. All of the time!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lisa67
Google?
I will give it a go
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I will give it a go
There's also info in the 'Really, really, read me' link above about all of the different visa types. So have a read through that and then you can understand a bit more about the O visa, and also let everybody know what type of visa you think you could aim for.

Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There's also info in the 'Really, really, read me' link above about all of the different visa types. So have a read through that and then you can understand a bit more about the O visa, and also let everybody know what type of visa you think you could aim for.

I did have a glance at that.. Not too sure that I can aim for any
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage to a USC it is then. Unless you were born in Ireland, or another eligible country for the lottery.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I did have a glance at that.. Not too sure that I can aim for any
Canada or Oz maybe? Both much easier countries to get in to than the US.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Canada or Oz maybe? Both much easier countries to get in to than the US.
This really isn't true at all. All countries have their own difficult and easy ways in. I can't speak for Canada but she's not getting into Australia at 20 years of age and half a degree. When she has a few years of experience in a specific job she can send the Government an Expression of Interest, that they can sit on for two years, and if they like what she says she would be invited to apply for a visa, which then is processed and accepted/rejected. It could take years and be very expensive.

Easier to marry an American if that is where she wants to be. Nowhere is easier to get into than America if you have a brother there. You're not getting into Australia if you have a brother there, that's for sure. You need skills, and your brother is irrelevant. So yes, each country has its easy way in but it's not going to match every individual.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calliope
This really isn't true at all. All countries have their own difficult and easy ways in. I can't speak for Canada but she's not getting into Australia at 20 years of age and half a degree. When she has a few years of experience in a specific job she can send the Government an Expression of Interest, that they can sit on for two years, and if they like what she says she would be invited to apply for a visa, which then is processed and accepted/rejected. It could take years and be very expensive.

Easier to marry an American if that is where she wants to be. Nowhere is easier to get into than America if you have a brother there. You're not getting into Australia if you have a brother there, that's for sure. You need skills, and your brother is irrelevant. So yes, each country has its easy way in but it's not going to match every individual.
Oz still participates in the WHV though doesn't it? That gets you in for a good length of time without doing anything. Don't have that option for the US.

Brother that's a US citizen in the US won't be much use as that's about a decade to get in on that route, so you'd have gotten your experience to get your own visa at that point.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Oz still participates in the WHV though doesn't it? That gets you in for a good length of time without doing anything. Don't have that option for the US.

Brother that's a US citizen in the US won't be much use as that's about a decade to get in on that route, so you'd have gotten your experience to get your own visa at that point.
Yes, if you are under 30 you can go on a temporary visa for casual labour, subject to various restrictions. It is not a pathway to permanent residence. Its US equivalent would a BUNAC Internship Visa, etc.

As for brother visa - I'm just making the point there is no provision for that in Australia and you might not be able to get the experience so the 10 year wait is all you have.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by calliope
Right, so she has options for Oz or Canada, unlike the US. It may take a long time, but at least it's a possibility, which the US doesn't look like it is at the moment! Not sure why you mentioned a brother, as she doesn't seem to have a USC sibling, but given that takes around 10-12 years, the Oz or Canada option could still be a heck of a lot quicker/easier.

If I were the OP, I'd look at the WHV to give her a couple of years in Canada, which would be her easiest route to North America.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.