TH for rent

Old Jun 28th 2001, 10:29 pm
Ruth Malcolm

My fiancé is finding it difficult to rent a TH without me being there. He has to say
that I will be living there, because my name has to go on the agreement. A couple of
agents/owners have asked him whether my credit is good. Anyone with any experience
out there?
--
Yours

Ruth Malcolm

Old Jun 29th 2001, 11:39 am
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >

Why doesn't he tell them you will be living there eventually, and when you get to the
US you'll add your name to the lease?

As for your credit, unless you've lived in the US before, you most likely have none
that they can check.

Betastar

Old Jun 29th 2001, 11:58 am
Andy Platt

Your credit isn't good. Doesn't matter how wonderful it is in the UK it is completely
non-existent in the US (well, unless you've lived over here before). I had to put
down a security deposit on my apartment when I first moved here. They'll also get
confused when he says you have no social security number and when your previous
residence was outside of the US!!

Two options:

a) Perservere with the current approach
b) Add your name later when you get there if this is possible

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 29th 2001, 1:40 pm
scubesgal2000

I just moved into an apartment in March and only placed my name on the lease. They
checked my credit history and current employment. They mentioned that after my fiance
arrived (within a reasonable time frame) that he could be added to my lease. He is
from the UK. Most places require a deposit even if you have great credit ratings.

[usenetquote2]>> My fiancé is finding it difficult to rent a TH without me being there. He has to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> say that I will be living there, because my name has to go on the agreement. A[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> couple of agents/owners have asked him whether my credit is good. Anyone with any[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> experience out there?[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 29th 2001, 4:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why does your name have to be on the lease? (I am assuming a TH = townhouse.)

You are not married yet. Your credit is zilch. Your have no social security number. No employment. And of yet, you aren't married.

I've found that in most areas of the US, leases are for relatively short periods of one year or less. If that is true in the area your fiancee is in and looking to rent, by the time you get here, marry and get your paperwork in order, you will be moving or renewing the lease. Your name can be on there at that time.

If you are concerned about INS and the fact that your name isn't on it, then you are worrying for nothing. Either your interview will be a long time in coming and you will have had the opportunity to add your name to a renewal or a new lease or you will just explain that your husband leased the premises prior to your marriage.

You're sweating the small stuff. Let him pick out a nice affordable place for you both to start your married life together and let the name on the lease business fall by the wayside.

Rita