Teaching in Colorado

Old May 10th 2007, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

teacherlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Colorado

hi! I am confused!! can anyone tell me if i am going about this all the wrong way...I have applied for teaching posts starting in August this year and awaiting to see if i get interviews. Is it possible to apply for a visa in this time period? i get mixed feedback...some seem to think you can only apply at a certain time for about 6 months ahead but teaching posts dont come up like that...or can i apply for a visa and then the job?? I really want to move to Colorado...but i feel like i am banging my head up a brick wall at the moment...i got in touch with an immigration agency in London and they were so aggressive and rude i gave up and thought i can do this alone!! is that wise or should i get an immigration lwayer?? well better not waffle...any help extremely welcome and thankyou in advance for your loveliness!!
Old May 10th 2007, 7:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Colorado

Originally Posted by teacherlady
hi! I am confused!! can anyone tell me if i am going about this all the wrong way...I have applied for teaching posts starting in August this year and awaiting to see if i get interviews. Is it possible to apply for a visa in this time period? i get mixed feedback...some seem to think you can only apply at a certain time for about 6 months ahead but teaching posts dont come up like that...or can i apply for a visa and then the job?? I really want to move to Colorado...but i feel like i am banging my head up a brick wall at the moment...i got in touch with an immigration agency in London and they were so aggressive and rude i gave up and thought i can do this alone!! is that wise or should i get an immigration lwayer?? well better not waffle...any help extremely welcome and thankyou in advance for your loveliness!!
Always a problem for teacher.. the visas are available for an Oct start ....but you apply in April for it ...The cost to the employer is quite high ...I don't know about CO ...but here in FL ..very few schools could afford it ...

Forget Immigration agencies ..they are usually of no help ...
You don't even apply ..its your employer who does that ..
Old May 10th 2007, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

hi! I am confused!! can anyone tell me if i am going about this all the wrong way...I have applied for teaching posts starting in August this year and awaiting to see if i get interviews. Is it possible to apply for a visa in this time period?
A teaching post at what institution? College or university? Or high school? If college-level, the institution might be able to sponsor you for a cap-exempt H1 visa. If not at college level, the job would be subject to the annual cap, which is exhausted for this coming fiscal year (Oct. 2007 until Sept. 30 2008). The earliest such an institution could apply would be April 1 2008 for a start date of Oct. 1 2008.
Old May 10th 2007, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Always a problem for teacher.. the visas are available for an Oct start ....but you apply in April for it ...The cost to the employer is quite high ...I don't know about CO ...but here in FL ..very few schools could afford it ...

Forget Immigration agencies ..they are usually of no help ...
You don't even apply ..its your employer who does that ..
could i pay for the fees myself....is it too late to apply now?? thankyou lots!!!
Old May 10th 2007, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bill_S
A teaching post at what institution? College or university? Or high school? If college-level, the institution might be able to sponsor you for a cap-exempt H1 visa. If not at college level, the job would be subject to the annual cap, which is exhausted for this coming fiscal year (Oct. 2007 until Sept. 30 2008). The earliest such an institution could apply would be April 1 2008 for a start date of Oct. 1 2008.
its a junior high school...is it exhausted for sure?? thank!you
Old May 10th 2007, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bill_S

yikes looks like i am stuffed should i decline an interview then??
Old May 10th 2007, 8:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they are paying for the flight ...not much point ....
A private school may be better than a State school ....
Old May 10th 2007, 8:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

could i pay for the fees myself....is it too late to apply now?? thankyou lots!!!
no, you can't....they have to pay the fee's, they could ask you to pay for the lawyers fee and premium processing, but there's no point in premium processing....it'll still cost them a fair bit though.
Old May 10th 2007, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
no, you can't....they have to pay the fee's, they could ask you to pay for the lawyers fee and premium processing, but there's no point in premium processing....it'll still cost them a fair bit though.
so could i offer to re imburse them...is it worth me going for interview then or accepting a post......
Old May 10th 2007, 8:37 pm
Ray

so could i offer to re imburse them...is it worth me going for interview then or accepting a post......
All the visas for this year are gone ....
Most probably you will get offered the job subject to
you having permission to work ...which you cannot get ..

May make a nice vacation and learning curve ..
Old May 10th 2007, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
All the visas for this year are gone ....
Most probably you will get offered the job subject to
you having permission to work ...which you cannot get ..

May make a nice vacation and learning curve ..
ouch...so how do i get a teaching job...or do i have to try to get oher work and a visa then apply?? there is a family that needs a nanny...do i have to wait to april til there are visas??
Old May 10th 2007, 9:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ouch...so how do i get a teaching job...or do i have to try to get oher work and a visa then apply?? there is a family that needs a nanny...do i have to wait to april til there are visas??
you can't offer to reimburse the visa costs, and an employer that asks you to pay the lawyers fee isn't a place you want to work at.

And your not quite understanding how it works. You find an employer that will sponsor you, they do the paper work, but they won't be able to apply till next April, and you wouldn't get the visa until that following Oct, so next year. Unless the position is at a university, which would be except from the quota.

Being a nanny won't help you much either, because you still need a visa.
Old May 10th 2007, 9:02 pm
Ray

A lot really depends on your degree ...

I think maybe your not going to have any luck that way ..
Find an American to marry ...
Old May 10th 2007, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
you can't offer to reimburse the visa costs, and an employer that asks you to pay the lawyers fee isn't a place you want to work at.

And your not quite understanding how it works. You find an employer that will sponsor you, they do the paper work, but they won't be able to apply till next April, and you wouldn't get the visa until that following Oct, so next year. Unless the position is at a university, which would be except from the quota.

Being a nanny won't help you much either, because you still need a visa.
thankyou for your help...i have been asking uestions in all the wrong places i didnt understand the process you are right there!!! guess i handed in my notice too early...ay brught ideas for a damsel in distress??