Teacher in unusual position

Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher in unusual position

Originally Posted by pakaia
OK thanks. Sorry though, how do I start on these?
It's a state thing -- so there are more than 50 different answers! Use Google with teacher license <name of state> and go from there.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks. Sorry though, how do I start on these?
Teacher certification in Maryland.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:38 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Forum / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession /
Teaching
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:09 am
Just Joined

pakaia is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thankyou
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

OK thankyou

Erm OK I don't mean to be rude but I think you missed everyone's hesitation in recommending the 'find employment' route. You seem proactive and optimistic and that's great but I don't think it's going to help in this situation.

The probability of actually finding a sponsor AND getting the visa is basically.... zero. It's not impossible in theory, but in practice it pretty much is. Why would a school spend ~$6000 and lots of time to hire you when they can pick an American teacher? It's an expensive, lengthy process and very hard to justify for a school.

I know you really want to go through this route but I'm just writing so you don't get your hopes up/waste your time/spend money on immigration lawyer consultations/ignore job opportunities at home.

If you don't want to get married for a few years then, I guess, visit him on holidays using the VWP for a few years (small consolation, I know). Sorry for being overly blunt but everyone's posts just seemed to be deceptively subtle.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure why you think the position is unusual.

And the one thing certain is that Immigration is not cheap, and to the US not quick.

But you implied he will not have custody, so there is the UK option.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by agentred
Erm OK I don't mean to be rude but I think you missed everyone's hesitation in recommending the 'find employment' route. You seem proactive and optimistic and that's great but I don't think it's going to help in this situation.

If you don't want to get married for a few years then, I guess, visit him on holidays using the VWP for a few years (small consolation, I know). Sorry for being overly blunt but everyone's posts just seemed to be deceptively subtle.
No.. I understand the opportunities are severely limited. I'ts very easy to see that. But I need to thank everyone for their advice all the same.
I'm pretty disheartened about it, but I will keep trying. We've been going back and forth for years already, and even if I start this now, I know I'll continue to be doing it for a long time. So I'm going to try it, despite the difficulties and hope for the best in between now and when I do feel it's time to get married. People do manage to do it - there is an english person teaching at the school that his parents work at (they are both teachers and are giving me their own advice. They can't help me with immigration issues).

The unusual reference was because I've trawled all over the forum and not found any situation discussed like my own.

And about him not having custody. That doesn't matter. They are a big part of his life and he does not intend to leave his 2 kids while he lives in another country. And nor should he. Maybe when they are older, it is something we have discussed.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No.. I understand the opportunities are severely limited. I'ts very easy to see that. But I need to thank everyone for their advice all the same.
I'm pretty disheartened about it, but I will keep trying. We've been going back and forth for years already, and even if I start this now, I know I'll continue to be doing it for a long time. So I'm going to try it, despite the difficulties and hope for the best in between now and when I do feel it's time to get married. People do manage to do it - there is an english person teaching at the school that his parents work at (they are both teachers and are giving me their own advice. They can't help me with immigration issues).

The unusual reference was because I've trawled all over the forum and not found any situation discussed like my own.

And about him not having custody. That doesn't matter. They are a big part of his life and he does not intend to leave his 2 kids while he lives in another country. And nor should he. Maybe when they are older, it is something we have discussed.
Maybe the parents of the English person you know working as a teacher here put in a good word for him at the school and that's how he got the position.

I don't think anyone's mentioned that due to lack of funds many school districts are laying teachers off right now.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is probably me, and probably too many stories in the local papers, but does anybody else smile whenever they see this thread title?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It is probably me, and probably too many stories in the local papers, but does anybody else smile whenever they see this thread title?
didn't until you pointed it out
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
lol oops!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I don't think anyone's mentioned that due to lack of funds many school districts are laying teachers off right now.
that seems crazy... theres no way my school would sack anyone... its not possible... who will teach the 400 odd kids left behind? cover supervisor at £150 a day??
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

that seems crazy... theres no way my school would sack anyone... its not possible... who will teach the 400 odd kids left behind? cover supervisor at £150 a day??
You are in the UK and this is the US...things are very different here. For instance in NYC it is illegal for teachers to go on strike...if they do they receive a very hefty fine for each day they don't work.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:37 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

OMG...

They shorten the school day, double up, get rid of 'unessential' subjects.

Until recently we had 2 middle schools in our town.

Now there's only one.

They town hasn't shrunk, and I don't think there are fewer school kids.

And this happens to be an 'affluent' town...
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but that's where you need to begin to see that things are different here. Many schools here are horrifically underfunded and understaffed. Which is why paying $6000 to sponsor your H1 is not really likely to become part of their gameplan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.