British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Teacher with record needing immigration advice to work in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/teacher-record-needing-immigration-advice-work-us-925755/)

London22ATL Jun 14th 2019 9:55 am

Teacher with record needing immigration advice to work in the US

When I was 13 and 18, I committed two minor offences which resulted in a conditional discharge and a £25 and £50 fine. Stupid, I know. I deeply regret them. These incidents are in no way an indication of the adult I am today.

Since then (over 15 years ago) I have graduated twice, worked in a Whitehall government department, and have qualified as a teacher. I have been teaching for 5 years now, and have been fortunate enough to be offered an opportunity to teach in the US.

I have been open with the school, however I am mindful that my background will require more time and attention with regards to obtaining a visa on this side of the pond.

Hopefully, dedicating my career to a socially responsible vocation to teach, guide and support misguided young people who might make life changing decision before they realise the gravity should demonstrate my redemptive nature and that I have changed to become a better person.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice on approaching this, whether personally or a loved one, as well as recommendations of immigration lawyers used by anyone who also had a slightly complicated background.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers! :)

tom169 Jun 14th 2019 11:22 am

Re: Teacher with record needing immigration advice to work in the US

What has the school's immigration attorney said?

Guindalf Jun 14th 2019 2:43 pm

There are several obstacles here.

1. You cannot apply for a visa yourself - the potential employer must do it.
2. You would most probably need to be certified by the relevant state education board to teach at all..
3. Teaching is not a profession that is likely to gain a visa, unless it's for as subject that is unusual for the average American teacher.
4. Your record could go against you. Although these are juvenile offenses, they may be considered more heinous when it comes to teaching.

I'm guessing the establishment that offered you the opportunity is unaware of the thousands of dollars and the time it will take to bring you in, let alone the need for certification!

Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm trying to be realistic. It's not as simple as it may seem.

Pulaski Jun 14th 2019 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12698114)
There are several obstacles here.

1. You cannot apply for a visa yourself - the potential employer must do it.
2. You would most probably need to be certified by the relevant state education board to teach at all..
3. Teaching is not a profession that is likely to gain a visa, unless it's for as subject that is unusual for the average American teacher.
4. Your record could go against you. Although these are juvenile offenses, they may be considered more heinous when it comes to teaching.

I'm guessing the establishment that offered you the opportunity is unaware of the thousands of dollars and the time it will take to bring you in, let alone the need for certification!

Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm trying to be realistic. It's not as simple as it may seem.

The very fact that the school has even entered a discussion, never mind actually offering a position, means that it is likely that the school is private and therefore most of what you posted (everything except #1) doesn't apply.

Originally Posted by London22ATL (Post 12697995)
When I was 13 and 18, I committed two minor offences which resulted in a conditional discharge and a £25 and £50 fine. Stupid, I know. I deeply regret them. These incidents are in no way an indication of the adult I am today.

Since then (over 15 years ago) I have graduated twice, worked in a Whitehall government department, and have qualified as a teacher. I have been teaching for 5 years now, and have been fortunate enough to be offered an opportunity to teach in the US. ....

Has the school ever sponsored a visa for a teacher before? In other words, do they know what they are getting in to, or are you just the latest example (that we see a handful of times every year) of people who come to BE saying "I have been offered a job, how do I apply for a visa?" :unsure:

civilservant Jun 14th 2019 9:01 pm

Has the school ever sponsored a visa for a teacher before? In other words, do they know what they are getting in to, or are you just the latest example (that we see a handful of times every year) of people who come to BE saying "I have been offered a job, how do I apply for a visa?"
This is the key question.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 14th 2019 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12698017)
What has the school's immigration attorney said?

This

Guindalf Jun 14th 2019 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12698117)
The very fact that the school has even entered a discussion, never mind actually offering a position, means that it is likely that the school is private and therefore most of what you posted (everything except #1) doesn't apply.

~

Really? Why don't we let the OP answer before passing judgement....again!

Ya know, people wonder why some others just stop giving advice. Funny how others just stay on and on and on.

Pulaski Jun 14th 2019 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12698325)
Really? Why don't we let the OP answer before passing judgement....again .....

Er, it was you that provided a list of carefully numbered, specific bits of advice in response to non-specific information, and me that asked more questions to ascertain the situation before offering any situation-specific advice. :lol: