Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Teacher with record needing immigration advice to work in the US

Teacher with record needing immigration advice to work in the US

Old Jun 14th 2019, 9:55 am
Just Joined

London22ATL is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Teacher with record needing immigration advice to work in the US

When I was 13 and 18, I committed two minor offences which resulted in a conditional discharge and a £25 and £50 fine. Stupid, I know. I deeply regret them. These incidents are in no way an indication of the adult I am today.

Since then (over 15 years ago) I have graduated twice, worked in a Whitehall government department, and have qualified as a teacher. I have been teaching for 5 years now, and have been fortunate enough to be offered an opportunity to teach in the US.

I have been open with the school, however I am mindful that my background will require more time and attention with regards to obtaining a visa on this side of the pond.

Hopefully, dedicating my career to a socially responsible vocation to teach, guide and support misguided young people who might make life changing decision before they realise the gravity should demonstrate my redemptive nature and that I have changed to become a better person.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice on approaching this, whether personally or a loved one, as well as recommendations of immigration lawyers used by anyone who also had a slightly complicated background.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Old Jun 14th 2019, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher with record needing immigration advice to work in the US

What has the school's immigration attorney said?
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

There are several obstacles here.

1. You cannot apply for a visa yourself - the potential employer must do it.
2. You would most probably need to be certified by the relevant state education board to teach at all..
3. Teaching is not a profession that is likely to gain a visa, unless it's for as subject that is unusual for the average American teacher.
4. Your record could go against you. Although these are juvenile offenses, they may be considered more heinous when it comes to teaching.

I'm guessing the establishment that offered you the opportunity is unaware of the thousands of dollars and the time it will take to bring you in, let alone the need for certification!

Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm trying to be realistic. It's not as simple as it may seem.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:52 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
There are several obstacles here.

1. You cannot apply for a visa yourself - the potential employer must do it.
2. You would most probably need to be certified by the relevant state education board to teach at all..
3. Teaching is not a profession that is likely to gain a visa, unless it's for as subject that is unusual for the average American teacher.
4. Your record could go against you. Although these are juvenile offenses, they may be considered more heinous when it comes to teaching.

I'm guessing the establishment that offered you the opportunity is unaware of the thousands of dollars and the time it will take to bring you in, let alone the need for certification!

Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm trying to be realistic. It's not as simple as it may seem.
The very fact that the school has even entered a discussion, never mind actually offering a position, means that it is likely that the school is private and therefore most of what you posted (everything except #1) doesn't apply.
Originally Posted by London22ATL View Post
When I was 13 and 18, I committed two minor offences which resulted in a conditional discharge and a £25 and £50 fine. Stupid, I know. I deeply regret them. These incidents are in no way an indication of the adult I am today.

Since then (over 15 years ago) I have graduated twice, worked in a Whitehall government department, and have qualified as a teacher. I have been teaching for 5 years now, and have been fortunate enough to be offered an opportunity to teach in the US. ....
Has the school ever sponsored a visa for a teacher before? In other words, do they know what they are getting in to, or are you just the latest example (that we see a handful of times every year) of people who come to BE saying "I have been offered a job, how do I apply for a visa?"

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2019 at 2:56 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 9:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Has the school ever sponsored a visa for a teacher before? In other words, do they know what they are getting in to, or are you just the latest example (that we see a handful of times every year) of people who come to BE saying "I have been offered a job, how do I apply for a visa?"
This is the key question.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
What has the school's immigration attorney said?
This
Old Jun 14th 2019, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
The very fact that the school has even entered a discussion, never mind actually offering a position, means that it is likely that the school is private and therefore most of what you posted (everything except #1) doesn't apply.

~
Really? Why don't we let the OP answer before passing judgement....again!

Ya know, people wonder why some others just stop giving advice. Funny how others just stay on and on and on.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 10:47 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
Really? Why don't we let the OP answer before passing judgement....again .....
Er, it was you that provided a list of carefully numbered, specific bits of advice in response to non-specific information, and me that asked more questions to ascertain the situation before offering any situation-specific advice.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2019 at 10:50 pm.