Tax Transcript question

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice
Default Tax Transcript question

When they ask for copies of taxes for the AOS interview, is it ok to bring copies of the forms one has filed with the IRS (for me, computer copies from Turbo Tax)?

Or do we need some official transcript certified by the IRS? Thanks

Last edited by DCMark; Apr 23rd 2003 at 8:09 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:33 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Transcript question

Originally posted by DCMark
When they ask for copies of taxes for the AOS interview, is it ok to bring copies of the forms one has filed with the IRS (for me, computer copies from Turbo Tax)?

Just my opinion, but I would definitely bring official transcripts from the IRS. I would be too nervous about having my computer-printed copies rejected. The tax transcripts are free, in any case, so aside from the mailing time, there's no reason not to get them, really.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Well the interview is tomorrow, so we will soon find out.

The letter from the INS did not say that had to be certified, just copies of past taxes. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

In all of the interview requirement paperwork I got it said personal copies of filed tax returns are acceptable.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:45 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

On this same topic of tax transcripts -- two questions...

Since I was married and filed a joint return for 2000, I realize that I need not only my tax return but also my W-2s. Unfortunately I cannot find my W-2 copies from that year, and obtaining the W-2s from my previous employers is not an option. On the IRS website it states:

"The quickest way to obtain a copy of a prior year Form W-2 is through your employer. However, you may also file Form 4506, Request for Copy or Transcript of Tax Form. There is no charge for Form W-2 information, but there is a $23.00 fee for copies of your previously filed tax forms and all attachments (including Form(s) W-2) for each tax period requested and you should allow 60 calendar days for a response."

Question 1: For our I-864, can I simply use the official Form W-2 information (free), or do I need the actual official copies of my W-2s ($23.00)??

Question 2: Is it possible to get tax transcripts for 2002 returns already??

Sorry to piggyback on your thread, Mark, but it seemed relevant.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

The letter from the INS did not say that had to be certified, just copies of past taxes. Keeping fingers crossed.
I think that you can go to your local IRS office and ask for tax transcipts. They are free and I believe that if you go in person they give you the transcripts on the spot. I think that I read that on the NG. I don't want to give you wrong information, but if you want tax transcripts for tomorrow, you can call the local IRS office and check with them if what I wrote is correct.

Caroline
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

claudia13839 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck DCMark...

But I woud have gone with the transcripts the IRS sends you (they are free), just to make sure.

Then again you may be worrying for no reason because they did not even ask my husband for the darn tax transcripts !!! BUT, keep in mind that requirements vary by Consulate.

Best of luck.

~Claudia
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck on your interview!!!!

Caroline
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. For some reason I am a bit nervous. Everything is totally legit, but you never now.

BTW, its not a consulate interview but AOS in the US (Arlington office).
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the Los Angeles office yesterday. Along with the APPT letter with the checked boxes you should have gotten a 2 sided piece of paper on what you needed to bring.
It itemized each thing like under proof of shared life it said to bring photos, leases, bank statements and so on.

Under the tax info mine said personal copies of returns filed would be accepted. Please don't worry.

We were also totally legit but you get in there and you get nervous. Our interview went fine and they said that they had to do a security check to make sure my husband was not wanted.
It was all business though I could not read the interviewer at all.
I am hoping they would not do a further security check if they were going to deny us.
My husband was so nervous he told the interviewer he had left the country on the AP (he had not) and he could not remember our home phone number. Those were the only low points of the interview.

Good luck and eat breakfast if you are going in the morning.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

kariml is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Caro
I think that you can go to your local IRS office and ask for tax transcipts. They are free and I believe that if you go in person they give you the transcripts on the spot. I think that I read that on the NG. I don't want to give you wrong information, but if you want tax transcripts for tomorrow, you can call the local IRS office and check with them if what I wrote is correct.

Caroline

They no longer give them to you on the spot, but they will fax them to you. I spent a bit of time on the phone with the IRS this morning.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

At our AOS interview in Arlington, we submitted copies of the 1040s we actually filed, and we had a couple year's worth of Turbo Tax print outs.

We had no trouble at all with our copies. I also copied the W2s and attached them to the 1040s. Of course that was 2 years ago.

Good luck with your interview.

Kimberly
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 11:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Aliluv
In all of the interview requirement paperwork I got it said personal copies of filed tax returns are acceptable.
JFTR, NYC asks for transcripts of all federal, state and local taxes. It appears that requirements vary per BCIS office.

Rete
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 11:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of how we feel about each other on a personal basis, best wishes to your wife for a successful interview tomorrow and that she walks away with an I-551 stamp in her passport.

Rete
Old Apr 24th 2003, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

bao-long is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kariml
They no longer give them to you on the spot, but they will fax them to you. I spent a bit of time on the phone with the IRS this morning.
I guess it depends on IRS offices. I went to the Oakland, CA office and got the transcripts within 10min.

Bao-Long

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.