TAX

Old Apr 9th 2001, 1:02 pm
Sean

Hi

It looks as if I have got a sponsor for a green card. My employer ius just about to start the application. If I do move to the USA anh sell my UK home, do I have to pay tax on the money I bring in with me?

TIA.

Sean

Old Apr 15th 2001, 12:36 am
Sarah Duckham

You don't have to pay tax on money you bring into the U.S. You have to pay tax on
money you earn in the U.S.

This is somewhat simplistic, and you might want to consult with a U.S. accountant.

My comments are based upon my experience as an immigration attorney. It has not been
confirmed by research, and one or more immigration officials or other attorneys may
disagree. This is not legal advice and is provided on the understanding that no
attorney-client relationship is created or intended.

Sarah M. M. Duckham, Esq. Lichtman, Trister, Singer & Ross 1666 Connecticut Avenue,
N.W. Suite 500 Washington, DC 20009 ph (202) 328-1666, ext. 355 fax (202) 328-9162
[email protected]

--
Posted from mail3.internetconnect.net [209.191.75.238] via Mailgate.ORG Server -
http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Apr 16th 2001, 12:32 am
Alistair Bell

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Provided you've lived in it for at least two of the past five years, and your capital
gain on the house is less than $250,000, no. If you've lived there for less time than
that, then provided your move is 'by reason of a change in place of employment'
(which you can argue it will be) the exclusion is pro-rated.

Under UK law, there's no capital gains tax on selling your home.

And there's no tax liability created simply by moving money from the UK to the US.

Alistair (not a lawyer or a CPA!)