SUPERSTARDJ01's CIMT discussion

Old May 28th 2009, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude, a broad overview

Originally Posted by SUPERSTARDJ01
No your right but actually states: Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?"

It does not say have you ever been arrested or convicted. it says: B]Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude .[/B]

I am not trying defraud anyone moron, just seeing where I stand.
Hi:

ROFL.

In the law of pleading, this is an example related to the concept called "negative pregnant."

By the device of not using the appropriate ellipses, you are making an argument that is not valid but is also pregnant with an admission.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

SUPERSTARDJ01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

ROFL.

In the law of pleading, this is an example related to the concept called "negative pregnant."

By the device of not using the appropriate ellipses, you are making an argument that is not valid but is also pregnant with an admission.
Can you explain please
Old May 28th 2009, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

Can you explain please
Hi:

"ROFL" is an old on-line acronym for "Rolling On the Floor Laughing." All it means that I was quite amused by your posting.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hi:

"ROFL" is an old on-line acronym for "Rolling On the Floor Laughing." All it means that I was quite amused by your posting.
Glad I entertained you.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

Come on, you know he wasn't referring to what the meaning of LOL is. Can you translate the legalese into plain English for the non-legal people onboard?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

rotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nice
Default Re: SUPERSTARDJ01's CIMT discussion

I think Folinskyinla is referring to lack of comma between the words "anyone" and "moron"
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
Come on, you know he wasn't referring to what the meaning of LOL is. Can you translate the legalese into plain English for the non-legal people onboard?
Whatever. I thought I did explain "negative pregnant." OK, sigh -- by way of example:

Accusation: P was driving in excess of the 65 miles per hour seed limit, to wit 68 miles per hour.

Answer: P denies that he was driving at 68 miles per hour.

That answer in the form of a denial is "pregnant" with an admission that he was exceeding the speed limit, just not at 68 miles per hour. I think this is one of the more plain language explanations of a legal concept that I know of.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:28 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude ?

My understanding is that this question is very specific to crimes of moral turpitude not have you ever been arrested / convicted per see. I am presuming (rightly or wrongly) then that arrests only need be declared if they constitute CIMT's. While it's certainly the case that a fairly large proportion of arrestable offences would no doubt be defined as CMT's there are some that are not. Hence imo the issue rests not with whether you have ever been arrested / convicted but was the offence committed a CIMT. In this respect, a blanket ' if you have ever been arrested / convicted you must declare it' response is again imo incorrect. Happen if all arrests / convictions were required to be declared on the VWP then they would have just posed that specific question or used the much more precise I-485 question, 'Have you ever...Been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic violations?'
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever. I thought I did explain "negative pregnant." OK, sigh -- by way of example:

Accusation: P was driving in excess of the 65 miles per hour seed limit, to wit 68 miles per hour.

Answer: P denies that he was driving at 68 miles per hour.

That answer in the form of a denial is "pregnant" with an admission that he was exceeding the speed limit, just not at 68 miles per hour. I think this is one of the more plain language explanations of a legal concept that I know of.
Entirely OT, but reminds me of a case I heard a while back.

Motor cyclist was caught by a cop doing 120mph. In court, the motor cyclist showed the specs of his bike and the top speed, which was documented as 118mph.

Now, clearly anything in that range is rather dangerous, but the guy got got away with it
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 9:00 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude ?

My understanding is that this question is very specific to crimes of moral turpitude not have you ever been arrested / convicted per see. I am presuming (rightly or wrongly) then that arrests only need be declared if they constitute CIMT's. While it's certainly the case that a fairly large proportion of arrestable offences would no doubt be defined as CMT's there are some that are not. Hence imo the issue rests not with whether you have ever been arrested / convicted but was the offence committed a CIMT. In this respect, a blanket ' if you have ever been arrested / convicted you must declare it' response is again imo incorrect. Happen if all arrests / convictions were required to be declared on the VWP then they would have just posed that specific question or used the much more precise I-485 question, 'Have you ever...Been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic violations?'
Obtaining money by deception is most certainly a CIMT, that's why we're having this discussion. If he were arrested for jay-walking we wouldn't be still having it.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 9:34 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
Obtaining money by deception is most certainly a CIMT, that's why we're having this discussion. If he were arrested for jay-walking we wouldn't be still having it.
We are in agreement regarding the OP's case, the point I am making is a general one i.e. that the question as posed on the VWP is specific to arrests / convictions for CIMT's. Hence any arrest / conviction not pertaining to a crime of that nature does not ( as I understand it) require a 'yes' response.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Songbird
We are in agreement regarding the OP's case, the point I am making is a general one i.e. that the question as posed on the VWP is specific to arrests / convictions for CIMT's. Hence any arrest / conviction not pertaining to a crime of that nature does not ( as I understand it) require a 'yes' response.
Are you refering to an arrest for say "Drunk and Disorderly" or "Simple Assault" where in most text appear to be non CIMT crimes, where the person arrested was released without charge, caution or conviction - What does the person answer to that question on the ESTA form - good question!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:02 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjohn
Are you refering to an arrest for say "Drunk and Disorderly" or "Simple Assault" where in most text appear to be non CIMT crimes, where the person arrested was released without charge, caution or conviction - What does the person answer to that question on the ESTA form - good question!
When it's 100% not a CIMT, drug related, jail didn't add up to 5 years; they answer 'No'. However, if the border guard expands on that to ask "have you ever been arrested" the answer should no longer be 'No'.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

hi,

Well I managed to get in to the US no problems at all.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:37 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

Well I managed to get in to the US no problems at all.
By claiming that you'd never been arrested or convicted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.