Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A stupid H1B Application Story-Comments needed

A stupid H1B Application Story-Comments needed

Old Apr 10th 2001, 12:08 am
ilknur-icke1

I am in a weird situation that I can not make any sense out of it, I thought maybe
someone could help me understand what is going on: -currently on student visa working
on training option -company filed h1b in late february -no receipt from INS yet
- company name changed in march -today I've learned that the immigration lawyer
that my company works with told them that INS sent them a letter saying that
filing fees were reduced(or they sent more) and they wanted a check with exact
amount.(after 6 weeks!). This is the lawyer's story, I heard it from my boss,
supposedly in the meantime, my application is in the queue and cap, no problem
but when i asked for the case file number they say they did not get it yet. I
don't even know how an immigration lawyer would send the wrong amount for the
fee, this is so absurd!

my questions are: -Should they do anything about the company name change? -Did INS
reduce the fees or something recently? If they really sent wrong amount , is it going
to delay my application's approval? Given that I did not get a recipt no yet, those 6
weeks have been wasted? and do I have to wait all over again? I have only 3 months
left on my student visa.

I would appreciate if anybody could answer my questions.

Old Apr 10th 2001, 6:39 pm
Nomad

Congress increased the H1b fee effective last Dec 15., 2000. I'm not sure if the
total fee is $1110 or $1100. Maybe your lawyer got confused too. Unfortunately, your
case might get delayed a little longer. although it won't go back to the start of the
queue, your application will be shelved and who knows when they'll start opening
those shelved files again.

But I think as long you've filed your H1b before your previous status runs out, you
won't be out of status.

They'll issue a case no.+ receipt after they've deposited the check.

About company name change, I'm not so sure but I think as long the owners or the
company structure are basically the same, then there shouldn't be any problem.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
amount.(after
    >
    >
when
    >
    >
fee,
    >
    >
    >
    >
wrong
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 11th 2001, 2:28 am
ilknur-icke1

I received an email from the lawyer today in response to my email to him. He says
application was resubmitted and would take 3 months. This is just so unfortunate,
there are some lawyers out there taking your money only to screw up with your life.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
or
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I am in a weird situation that I can not make any sense out of it, I thought[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > maybe someone could help me understand what is going on: -currently on student[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > visa working on training option -company filed h1b in late february -no receipt[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > from INS yet[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > - company name changed in march -today I've learned that the immigration[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > lawyer that my company works with told them that INS sent them a letter[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > saying that filing fees were reduced(or they sent more) and they wanted a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > check with exact[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 6 weeks!). This is the lawyer's story, I heard it from my boss,[/usenetquote2]
supposedly
[usenetquote2]> > in the meantime, my application is in the queue and cap, no problem but[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > i asked for the case file number they say they did not get it yet. I[/usenetquote2]
don't
[usenetquote2]> > even know how an immigration lawyer would send the wrong amount for the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > this is so absurd![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my questions are: -Should they do anything about the company name change? -Did[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > INS reduce the fees or something recently? If they really sent[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > amount , is it going to delay my application's approval? Given that I[/usenetquote2]
did
[usenetquote2]> > not get a recipt no yet, those 6 weeks have been wasted? and do I have[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > wait all over again? I have only 3 months left on my student visa.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I would appreciate if anybody could answer my questions.[/usenetquote2]