Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Strangest border crossing experience?

Strangest border crossing experience?

Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold
Default Strangest border crossing experience?

So I get to JFK go to the border line as usual and get directed to the officer, he asks purpose of visit, and first strange thing is he's German or something? I tell him I've come to see my girlfriend, and straight away he's asking how we met, how long we've know each other and could he have her phone number to call her and would she verify all this, I said certainly but my phone was dead after the flight so could I charge it to get her number as I haven't memorised it. He then asked her name and where she lived, my girlfriend has a unusual name and lives in a small town in up state NY, he laughed and said what kinda name is that and he never heard of that town, which is strange as I assume he's living in NY, and also you can't know of every town in the world. So he then asked if I'm working and I say yes and tell him the company name, he says he's never heard of this company, and again it's impossible to know every company in the world, he asks where I work and I tell him in my home town, he says where's that I never heard of this place, and I'm like it's where I live?
So this is getting very stressful and I was already very nervous before all the integration, I'm getting ready for the full pat down and getting my stuff searched and further integrated for hours in a back room somewhere? Then suddenly he just stamps my passport and says I can go, and on handing my passport back he says " I know what you are up to, it is illegal to work here without proper visa" and I just say I'm not working here, because I'm not, why would I spend so much on leaving my country where I can get a better higher paid job? He said, don't tell me, tell it to the next guy. What the he'll is that supposed to mean?
Anyway the only positive thing I got from this is they really don't know shit about you except from your visits to the country.
And I'm guessing complaint about this guy would be a waste of time?
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strangest border crossing experience?

Originally Posted by tintin24
Anyway the only positive thing I got from this is they really don't know shit about you except from your visits to the country.
I wouldn't be too sure about that.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I wouldn't be too sure about that.
The immigration officer knows your immigration history, but I doubt for most individuals he knows any more than that. If you have caused ripples on a prior visit there is an outside chance that someone might have run your name and details through some government databases, but unless you're a high profile politician, military officer, media celebrity, major league sports star, executive of a major corporation, or terrorist/ criminal fugitive, I doubt they know anything about you at all. ...... That said, you should assume they know everything!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 26th 2015 at 8:02 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The immigration officer knows your immigration history, but I doubt for most individuals he knows any more than that. If you have caused ripples on a prior visit there is an outside chance that someone might have run you name and details through some government databases, but unless you're a high profile politician, military officer, or executive of a major corporation I doubt they know anything about you at all. ...... That said, you should assume they know everything!
I've never caused ripples, had any problems with IOs etc but I have been surprised with a couple of comments made by IOs. That why I always assume they know what I've had for breakfast.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold

Why if he suspected I was working in the US without a vias would he stamp my passport and let me go on my way?
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've never caused ripples, had any problems with IOs etc but I have been surprised with a couple of comments made by IOs. That why I always assume they know what I've had for breakfast.
It is entirely intentional. The IO is trying to get a reaction from you. To make you blurt out the nasty horrible truth.

Always stay calm, answer the question asked truthfully offering no information beyond what is asked, do not mouth off, do not start an argument.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Why if he suspected I was working in the US without a vias would he stamp my passport and let me go on my way?
You didn't believe what he said, did you? He was just yanking your chain, partly to see how you reacted, and partly to amuse himself - I had a somewhat similar experience myself once, though not at JFK.
Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It is entirely intentional. The IO is trying to get a reaction from you. To make you blurt out the nasty horrible truth. ......
This. It works, I know, I used that technique myself in a prior role. Keep asking questions, maintain eye contact, and hint that you will find out if they don’t "come clean". It is amazing what people will confess to, and it used to intrigue my colleagues what information I could glean from a simple interview.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 26th 2015 at 8:15 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It is entirely intentional. The IO is trying to get a reaction from you. To make you blurt out the nasty horrible truth.

Always stay calm, answer the question asked truthfully offering no information beyond what is asked, do not mouth off, do not start an argument.
Of course the are intentional. The comments made were quite specific...it wasn't something he could just pull out of thin air.

Agreed...I would never try to be smart with an IO or cop.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

I've just never had such a grilling before, I did feel like he was doing all this to get a rise out of me or make me blurt out and confess if I was up to something I shouldn't be, I guess some IO's have different techniques and levels of politeness, maybe he could sense I was already nervous? Just a strange and very different experience to the usually very nice and polite one I'm used to.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Crossed the border probably a 100 times into the U.S., and each time it's different. The longest i've spent: 8 hours (when the company that i was working for didn't supply me with any paperwork for all the electronic equipment i was carrying to NYC); the shortest: 20 seconds.... when I told the officer i was going for a job interview.

Always be honest.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

I have nothing to hide, the truth is all I have.
I do feel like he thought I was up to something, but cuz he had nothing to back up his suspicions he had no choice but to let me in? Or like someone else said he felt like having some fun and watching me squeam?
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

.................. but cuz he had nothing to back up his suspicions he had no choice but to let me in? Or like someone else said he felt like having some fun and watching me squeam?
He doesn't have to back up his suspicions just have them, and he always has a choice.

When I worked alongside the IOs at LHR my favorite "was non conducive to the public good". Covered a multitude of sins.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

I guess he was having a boring day then and was looking for some fun?
Old Jun 26th 2015, 10:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

more than likely.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
more than likely.
Yup. See #7 above.

In my case, after he had had a good poke, and thoroughly irritated me, not least because he lied about something he told me, (they're allowed to do that TM - Ian) he eventually broke down and laughed, before bidding me "enjoy your stay!".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 26th 2015 at 11:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.