Strange question

Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

DanR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Strange question

Ok i have a weird one here.

Is it possible to hand yourself in for deportation?

I will give you the background on this story.

I am a British citizen and came to the US about 4 years ago on a temporary visitors visa and married an American citizen, Our plan was to marry and register paperwork for me to become legal here.
Well after 4 years of me bugging and moaning at her to help me get the paperwork filled out, i have stopped trying.
A couple months back i found out she was cheating on me with another guy, I don't know why but i forgave her and said we can make it work, well about a week back i found out she was now seeing ANOTHER guy.
So that was that for me, i told her i was leaving and going back to the UK as soon as i could, well the problem is i have absolutely no money as i got fired from my job after she called them and told them i was stealing from there (lies).
So basically i have no money to pay for my flight home and i don't know what i should do or what the procedure is now.

Do i have to hand my self in and go to jail before i get deported or ????? just dont know.

Please help
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange question

I think you have to pay for your deportation. You could always get back at your former employer by turning them in as it appears you were working illegally.
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your crappy situation.

I think you might want to get in contact with the British Embassy for advise.

Basically, you want to go home, but have no money and no way of getting home under your own steam. Do you have anyone in the UK who could lend you money to get yourself back?

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No way of getting hold of a charge card to book tickets with?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone in the UK able to help financially with getting you back home?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:31 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Well this just sucks. Sorry to hear about the situation you are in now.

You have a couple of problems.

First, you're stuck here, as you noted. As other have suggested, get a loan from someone in the UK or the US, or use her credit cards, or get a new credit card in the UK and get a ticket to go home. I should note in the case of Americans who find themselves destitute, our embassies and consulates have an emergency repatriation fund that they can loan to citizens (provided they meet certain criteria and pay it back). Not sure if the same is in place with the UK but you could call and ask.

Second, you're in trouble with US immigration in that you might have a 10-year-ban slammed on you preventing you from ever re-entering the US. So once you go home, you're prevented from ever returning.

This is important to note for the third reason, you are getting a divorce. Quite honestly, if you leave the US (abandon her) she can go to get a divorce judgement, including a financial penalty against you (support, alimony, etc). As you'll be out of the US and unable to return, you're going to have a hard time defending yourself and could find a US court judgment against you (not something you want hanging over your head).

My strongest advice would be to contact an attorney or some legal advisors regarding your rights and next steps. Just walking away would probably feel really good, but who knows what sort of story should could spin to a judge once you left ('he beat me, he abused me, he stole my money and then he left, etc. etc'). Get the divorce settled up and then get out of town.

note: it could be an amicable affair--just get it all in writing before you leave. Sign, sealed, delivered and then go.

Once again sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck with the next steps.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

First, you're stuck here, as you noted. As other have suggested, get a loan from someone in the UK or the US, or use her credit cards, or get a new credit card in the UK and get a ticket to go home. I should note in the case of Americans who find themselves destitute, our embassies and consulates have an emergency repatriation fund that they can loan to citizens (provided they meet certain criteria and pay it back). Not sure if the same is in place with the UK but you could call and ask.

Second, you're in trouble with US immigration in that you might have a 10-year-ban slammed on you preventing you from ever re-entering the US. So once you go home, you're prevented from ever returning.

This is important to note for the third reason, you are getting a divorce. Quite honestly, if you leave the US (abandon her) she can go to get a divorce judgement, including a financial penalty against you (support, alimony, etc). As you'll be out of the US and unable to return, you're going to have a hard time defending yourself and could find a US court judgment against you (not something you want hanging over your head).

My strongest advice would be to contact an attorney or some legal advisors regarding your rights and next steps. Just walking away would probably feel really good, but who knows what sort of story should could spin to a judge once you left ('he beat me, he abused me, he stole my money and then he left, etc. etc'). Get the divorce settled up and then get out of town.

note: it could be an amicable affair--just get it all in writing before you leave. Sign, sealed, delivered and then go.

Hard to get an attorney with no money...

There are charities I suppose - I'm afraid that I don't know who those might be - perhaps someone else can suggest some?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably hard to get an attorney but he should be able to find some legal advice, especially if he is destitute. Legal aid offices can offer some advice, as can immigration clinics that are around the US.

And then there is always this option--he sues her for divorce AND support. He's actually got a pretty good case against her. I don't know about her assets, but he could certainly make a claim against her to get some funds. For example, if they bought a house 4 years ago, even if she paid for it, he is entitled to 1/2 of the increase in the property value (if there was any). Other things like that--a portion of the car, any household goods, etc. Just the very thought of all this might make her offer up a quick cash settlement for him to just leave.

There might be an attorney interested in that on a contingency basis (depends on how much there is).
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably hard to get an attorney but he should be able to find some legal advice, especially if he is destitute. Legal aid offices can offer some advice, as can immigration clinics that are around the US.

And then there is always this option--he sues her for divorce AND support. He's actually got a pretty good case against her. I don't know about her assets, but he could certainly make a claim against her to get some funds. For example, if they bought a house 4 years ago, even if she paid for it, he is entitled to 1/2 of the increase in the property value (if there was any). Other things like that--a portion of the car, any household goods, etc. Just the very thought of all this might make her offer up a quick cash settlement for him to just leave.

There might be an attorney interested in that on a contingency basis (depends on how much there is).
I would be surprised to have an attorney accept contingency for a divorce case - but I certainly could be wrong.

As far as him being entitled to 1/2 - it depends upon the state - divorce laws can differ quite a bit. That said, he could possibly be entitled to something substantial, I do agree with you.

For immigration advice, I believe Mr. F has mentioned Catholic Charities (if I remember correctly).

Sounds like a very unfortunatley situation, I wish the original poster good luck.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't that be kinda hard to enforce in the UK? He would no longer be in US jurisdiction if he returned to the UK. Would a UK court enforce an alimony charge from the US?

And once he leaves, he can't return for at least, another 10 years. So really, should he care what she says about him in court, because he won't be in a jurisdiction to enforce it.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Wouldn't that be kinda hard to enforce in the UK? He would no longer be in US jurisdiction if he returned to the UK. Would a UK court enforce an alimony charge from the US?

And once he leaves, he can't return for at least, another 10 years. So really, should he care what she says about him in court, because he won't be in a jurisdiction to enforce it.
I'm not sure on what the enforcement is on something like alimony (it differs from child support which is covered by various treaties and whatnot). It did occur to me that he could just 'do a runner' on any court decision (and debt) but I was a bit more worried that he could actually be losing out on the potential to get some judgment against her. In many states the property is divided, liquidated, and cash and carry--you're out the door with some money. As Tracy said it varies so much from state to state (and yea, I think a contingency is a long shot but if there is some cash there, maybe worth a try).

Anyone enforced / had enforced a cross-jurisdiction alimony award?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DanR
Do i have to hand my self in and go to jail before i get deported or ????? just dont know.

Please help
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...ish-nationals/
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:34 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

PART XII
REPATRIATION AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
48. Arranging the repatriation of a person or members of the same family
travelling together . . . . . . . .121 GBP
49. Arranging for currency to be made available against the deposit of
funds with Her Majesty's Government by any means (in addition to
fee 43 where payable) . . . .
61.00 GBP

See the site posted by Trubrit
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:17 pm
Banned

ajb24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DanR
Ok i have a weird one here.

Is it possible to hand yourself in for deportation?

I will give you the background on this story.

I am a British citizen and came to the US about 4 years ago on a temporary visitors visa and married an American citizen, Our plan was to marry and register paperwork for me to become legal here.
Well after 4 years of me bugging and moaning at her to help me get the paperwork filled out, i have stopped trying.
A couple months back i found out she was cheating on me with another guy, I don't know why but i forgave her and said we can make it work, well about a week back i found out she was now seeing ANOTHER guy.
So that was that for me, i told her i was leaving and going back to the UK as soon as i could, well the problem is i have absolutely no money as i got fired from my job after she called them and told them i was stealing from there (lies).
So basically i have no money to pay for my flight home and i don't know what i should do or what the procedure is now.

Please help
The British Embassy should be able to help u with getting home there is probably a fund of some sort they can access for this. If you really want to get deported you could hand yourself in to the nearest ICE office (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) am not certain of the timeframe for your deportation but they would definately send you on your way. Understand you are looking at a ten year ban from the U.S at this point and there is no gurantee of your being able to get into the states in the future. As for the divorce issue it could take time to come through I dont see her contesting it as she wont want a messy divorce technically she could be facing a felony charge if you say the marriage was an arrangement I suspect you could agree an annulment of some sort which would mean no divorce and no alimony.

Something else to consider however. America MIGHT be on the verge of some sort of Amnesty Guest Worker program type of situation for illegials which you MIGHT qualify for allowing u to follow a path to permenant residency No one on this forum can speculate as to how or when this may occur or as to the timeframe involved. If you do leave the U.S this option is closed to you. Its your decision think carefully

Last edited by ajb24; Oct 15th 2008 at 10:24 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:02 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajb24
...America MIGHT be on the verge of some sort of Amnesty Guest Worker program type of situation for illegials which you MIGHT qualify for allowing u to follow a path to permenant residency No one on this forum can speculate as to how or when this may occur or as to the timeframe involved. If you do leave the U.S this option is closed to you. Its your decision think carefully
More random, useless crap from you, I see. Do you just reply because you like the sound of your own voice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.