stopover

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:46 am
Just Joined

nicetanhamilton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stopover

hi guys, i'm sure this has been done to death, but i can't find exact information.
I am australian and i have received a WHV for canada, i have a criminal record that will make me ineligible for esta and would need a b2 to get into usa, i am flying from sydney and need to know if i need to take a direct flight to canada or if i can catch a flight that has a connection in usa, i don't want to leave the airport. And i don't really want to go through the hassle of the b2, not that i'm sure they'd even give me one.
Now i work for an airline and am able to get the cheap flights 30 days after i leave the company, now this airline only does 3 flights a week into canada, so theres a chance i might not be able to get on, whereas they do a lot of flights into usa. Now if i took this option i wouldn't have a connecting flight i would be turning up and wanting to book a flight straight away, again not wanting to leave the airport.
Some advice on both options would be great
thankyou
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:59 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: stopover

Doesn't matter you are not leaving the airport. You would need to land and go through immigration to get the ticket counter. I can't recall seeing ticket counters airside in any US airport I have arrived at. You would also need to collect any checked bags and check in for you flight to Canada, again requiring you to be landslide.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:15 am
Just Joined

thanks for the quick response,

is that for the second option, ie the using my cheap flights or is that both, if i have to a catch a connecting flight (the 1st option) do i still have to pass through customs, i assume my bags would be put straight through, but do i need to go through customs even though i;m in transit.

thankyou
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Both. You have to clear immigration and customs when you first arrive in the US even if it is not your final destination. After passing through immigration you collect your bag, go through customs with it and then there is usually a luggage conveyor belt immediately beyond the customs area for people with connecting flights to re-deposit their bags before going through security again.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicetanhamilton
thanks for the quick response,

is that for the second option, ie the using my cheap flights or is that both, if i have to a catch a connecting flight (the 1st option) do i still have to pass through customs, i assume my bags would be put straight through, but do i need to go through customs even though i;m in transit.

thankyou
Regardless of your intent, stay or go what ever. When you land in an International Airport in the US from an International flight that originated from outside of the US, then you will be required to clear the controls that have been put in place. Controls for immigration, customs and also the connecting flights ticket desk to proceed to your connecting flight. As mentioned earlier, the latter requires being landside, and the former two controls place you landside. This means that even though you desire to transit to Canada, you actually are entering US soil thus requiring the relevant status to be in place. If you are able to fly direct to Canada, one would suggest doing so. Not sure of processing times, but B2 applications in the UK are a nightmare once a waiver is required.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

C1 Transit visa ?

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4383.html
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It's certainly an option, but the OP may still need a waiver of ineligibility.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:46 am
Just Joined

yeah it looks like i'd still need a waiver, and if i did the second option (travelling through my airline) i wouldn't have an outward ticket, i could get one but if i was to get bumped off a flight leaving australia i'd miss my flight and therefore wouldn't have a valid ticket.
The first option still means i need a waiver
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the responses, does anyone know, if i get refused the b2 do i get my money back. Cos when i was applying for my WHV with canada it said if i was refused i'd me refunded.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the responses, does anyone know, if i get refused the b2 do i get my money back. Cos when i was applying for my WHV with canada it said if i was refused i'd me refunded.
There are no refunds for US visas that are refused as far as I'm aware. That's because you are paying for the administrative processing and not the visa itself.

That said, unless your offences have been particularly severe, you may be recommended for the waiver of ineligibility if the actual B2 itself is denied.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the responses, does anyone know, if i get refused the b2 do i get my money back.
No, you do not.

Rene