Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Still slightly confused at which route I should take..

Still slightly confused at which route I should take..

Old Sep 27th 2018, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Joemanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Still slightly confused at which route I should take..

Hi all, I'm currently in the process of trying to figure out the best route/visa I can possibly take to enter the US to live and work (if there is any at all). I've read the introduction on here and Pulaski thread, so im trying not to repeat any repetitive questions that constantly being asked. So, a year ago, i got talking online to my now girlfriend who lives in Naples, Florida, I've been flying back and forth to see her roughly every 6 weeks since the beginning of the summer and my work has given me a 3 month sabbatical so i can spend the holidays over there with her but now, we want to get the ball rolling (again, if possible) for me to try and move over there. For the last 8 years I've been working at a boat yard and I'm now a British marine qualified electrician but also working as a marine engineer. If there is any route i can take or just any advice, as im getting slightly lost with with the abundance of information I've been trawling through online, it would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks,

Joe
Old Sep 27th 2018, 10:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still slightly confused at which route I should take..

Hi, welcome to BE.

Your job doesn't sound like one that would lead to a work visa, so are you looking at a marriage based visa? If so, I'll move this thread to the marriage visas forum where you'll get loads of good advice.

Be careful about your planned sabbatical - make sure you don't stay 3 months, as the VWP only allows 90 days, and you really want to aim to leave by day 85 in case of any flight delays or medical issues (even just one day overstay would mean you could never use the VWP again). Also take lots of proof of ties to home, you'll be at a higher risk of being refused entry with such a long stay and a US gf, so need to prove you'll be returning at the end of it.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like she is a USC and marriage is yout route.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:42 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty obvious marriage is the route.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 3:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, marriage is likely your only route to living and working in the US.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 3:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I echo everyone else...if you guys are ready for marriage, that is most likely your only option for immigrating the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 27th 2018, 4:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. Congrats on your marriage plans.

Also, consider looking into the IRS, in case you're spending too much time in the US that they consider you a resident.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above. Marriage is really your only option, but there is some good news...

Once you have the right documentation, Naples, and indeed anywhere in coastal Florida, will have plenty of job vacancies and/of freelance work for marine-type work.