Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

STEPCHILD VISA Question Help Please!!

STEPCHILD VISA Question Help Please!!

Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Maple Cupcakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default STEPCHILD VISA Question Help Please!!

Hubby hoping for confirmation any day now from his company re transfer to US and L1A visa application details.

We have been married 8 years and I have 2 children of our own, I also have a 14 year old daughter from my previous marriage who lives with us. I am assuming she will be able to get a visa without any difficulty as an accompanying child.

We have already (with much difficulty) obtained a Letter of Consent from her father giving his permission for us to take her to live in Canada (we had already submitted PR application before this opportunity came up).

Do we require a similar letter for US immigration or a special form that must be completed? Can't seem to find any info anywhere that gives a straightforward answer and having just spent a fortune on lawyers trying to get the first one sorted out please can anyone who is in the same position help us??

Thanks

Sue
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: STEPCHILD VISA Question Help Please!!

Yes, you will require the same for US Immigration. Letter, not form, or court order giving you right to remove the child from the UK.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, you will require the same for US Immigration. Letter, not form, or court order giving you right to remove the child from the UK.
I agree with Rete, you will need written permission from the father for her to immigrate to the USA.

Too bad the first letter wasn't generic, saying you had the right to remove the daughter and take her anywhere. Since it specifically mentions Canada, I believe you'd need a new letter.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Maple Cupcakes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

Will be contacting the ex for the Letter of Consent as soon as we get confirmation of relocation.

Sue
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Pinot Noir is just really nicePinot Noir is just really nicePinot Noir is just really nicePinot Noir is just really nicePinot Noir is just really nicePinot Noir is just really nicePinot Noir is just really nicePinot Noir is just really nicePinot Noir is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maple Cupcakes
Hubby hoping for confirmation any day now from his company re transfer to US and L1A visa application details.

We have been married 8 years and I have 2 children of our own, I also have a 14 year old daughter from my previous marriage who lives with us. I am assuming she will be able to get a visa without any difficulty as an accompanying child.

We have already (with much difficulty) obtained a Letter of Consent from her father giving his permission for us to take her to live in Canada (we had already submitted PR application before this opportunity came up).

Do we require a similar letter for US immigration or a special form that must be completed? Can't seem to find any info anywhere that gives a straightforward answer and having just spent a fortune on lawyers trying to get the first one sorted out please can anyone who is in the same position help us??

Thanks

Sue
I moved here 18 months ago with my wife and her two children from her previous marriage. Mine was also an L1A visa but at no time during the application process or thereafter were we asked for a letter of consent from my wife's previous husband.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinot Noir
I moved here 18 months ago with my wife and her two children from her previous marriage. Mine was also an L1A visa but at no time during the application process or thereafter were we asked for a letter of consent from my wife's previous husband.
I would think the letter is more to cover yourself rather than for immigration. Without the proof of consent it would be theoretically possible for the other parent to call the cops on you for kidnapping and you wouldn't have much of a defense. International kidnapping is not something you want any part of! Maybe I'm wrong but I would still want that written proof saying it was OK.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree with Rete, you will need written permission from the father for her to immigrate to the USA.

Too bad the first letter wasn't generic, saying you had the right to remove the daughter and take her anywhere. Since it specifically mentions Canada, I believe you'd need a new letter.

Rene
If father refuses to give permission then the court would take into account the fact that he had already given permission to migrate to Canada.

In any case, most of the time, the court would listen to what a 14 year old wants so father will have a tough time trying to veto this.

They should consider if the employer will start GC sponsorship immediately on arrival, especially if they are giving up the chance of permanent residence in Canada. In the meantime, Canadian PR application should not be withdrawn.