Stepchild immigration issues

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 6:57 pm
Luca Oasis

After having successfully petitioned to have my wife immigrate to the US, I am now in
the process of petitioning her daughter (my stepchild) to join us. The paperwork went
through VSC without a hitch and is currently at the NVC. I imagine that the Embassy
in Santo Domingo will require some sort of proof the child's father has consented to
allow the child to immigrate to the US. Is there a standardized release or similar
form that the INS requires? I'm sure there has to be SOMETHING, otherwise there would
be very little to prevent parents from just running off with their children (Elian
Gonzalas). Just trying to avoid those last minute surprises at the Embassy that we
all love so much. Thanks in advance.

Old Nov 24th 2001, 1:05 pm
Verizon

When my fiance and I started planning her and her son's immigration from Russia to
the US we got an affidavit from the biological father stating that the son could come
to the states.

>
I am
    >
The
    >
    >
the
    >
Is
    >
sure
    >
    >
    >
love so
    >

Old Nov 25th 2001, 4:14 pm
Whit

Oh no, not a red-headed stepchild.

yikes

Old Dec 1st 2001, 7:02 pm
Michael Voight

Verizon wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

My wife did too... AND... No one looked at it... Not the US consular people, Russian
Exit Control (whatever you call them), or the airline.

The only people that cared about it were the Italians when she applied for a visa for
our trip last summer for Italy and France. She didn't think to bring it to the
Italian consulate, and we just told them I was in the process of adopting.

Michael