Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Step Aside Oprah.. I'm Coming to the USA (If I can get a visa first!!) - HELP NEEDED

Step Aside Oprah.. I'm Coming to the USA (If I can get a visa first!!) - HELP NEEDED

Old Jun 8th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step Aside Oprah.. I'm Coming to the USA (If I can get a visa first!!) - HELP NEE

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I don't think anyone jokes about Oprah here. She is her own god.
Er yeh, right. The only joke here is how she has managed to garner a huge fortune off the backs of adoring idiots.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

McPC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Step Aside Oprah.. I'm Coming to the USA (If I can get a visa first!!) - HELP NEE

Errr... Guys.. Can we get back to my problem here

Any ideas.. regarding demonstrating experience?

Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by McPC
Errr... Guys.. Can we get back to my problem here

Any ideas.. regarding demonstrating experience?

Thanks
you have to sell yourself. I have had many USA visas in my time.
Make together a nice little pack / portfolio of all your work history. Then back each year up with say a letter from a Teacher, groups and families of notice that you have worked with.
Each letter of support must be letterheaded, to include the persons contact information and addresses.. They will use these.

You must have helped countless persons and or families. Go route then out for this purpose.
Also, don't forget to have some cash on you, as with London's USA Embassy, when you enter the building you must hand over i think 20pounds at a desk.
This is in the event that your Visa is apporoved, they will forward your passport back to you within 14days...

DSB.

P.S: You have to convince the Embassy that America can't find a person like you, hence the reason for you going there. If you case is simply "I am good and they want me", it normally isn't enough..

Last edited by bealerDSB; Jun 8th 2009 at 10:09 pm. Reason: forgot something
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

So I guess there is no 'objective' way of doing it. I just have to supply as much information as possible to substantiate my case.

But I just like to hear from people who have actually done that to see what route they took.

Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I mean who could beat Oprah?
I'd like to try.

are knuckledusters allowed?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

So I guess there is no 'objective' way of doing it. I just have to supply as much information as possible to substantiate my case.

But I just like to hear from people who have actually done that to see what route they took.

Thanks
I have done it many times.I have done Frankfurt and London.
Frankfurt is an easier application point than London - the people are not so P.C and robotic.
Take more information with you that they could possible ask for, so you get to nail it in a one time option.

Refusal for a visa option is often combined with a clause that you cannot re-apply for 12months or so. And in some cases they will stamp in the passport a refusal stamp of ***visa type etc. This I'm glad to say never occured with me.

Even take things like the last 3 months of your bank statements - to prove you can sustain any situation. School / Uni Certificates.
Ensure your resume is professional.
Break down a line per year, then beneath a paragraph on year by year explaining.

And THINK before you answer the questions. There is nothing wrong in saying "can I take a moment to think". Garbling and urm'ing and looking at your feet doesn't bode well.

This is always a 'standing up' interview through a window - so dress smart but not too much. nice portfolio with tabbed corners, so you can jump to any year or piece of information they ask.

Also some photos of organizations or work in progress that are "action related" helps the Embassy staff picture your words..

Go get 'em

Last edited by bealerDSB; Jun 9th 2009 at 6:27 pm. Reason: forgot 1 thing
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

How is this suitable for an E3 "specialty professional" visa... being a religious worker doesn't usually require a bachelor degree, does it? I don't know. I think the DOL website lists "specialty" occupations. You don't have to have one, but the job is supposed to require it.

For "objective assessment" - you can pay a credentials evaluation service to evaluation your education and experience. I used www.trustfortecorp.com and found them very fast and efficient.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much guys.. Excellent advice.. Much appreciated

Will update you on any progress
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

We're here on 5yr R visa's, as pointed out they are not renewable beyond that, we are currently applying for PR status.

The TV company would need to have tax exempt status to use the R1 visa. If they are serious about hiring you then they should be willing and able to pay for an experienced immigration lawyer to complete your application.

Our application was very straightforward (my husband was a pastor in the UK, taking a pastor job of the same type here) yours seems to be less so as you will have to show some continuity between the role that you have worked in the UK and the different one that you are going to in the USA. I would insist that they pay for immigration help, I doubt you can navigate this on your own.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

The TV channel does have tax exempt status and they have a good lawyer but like you said, my case isn't very straightforward given my lack of degree and the new role I'll be taking up in the US. This is why I'm trying to explore my options on my own.

Can I ask you, though, how you would apply for PR status from R visa? What is the process like and what processing times are you looking at?

Thanks
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

The TV channel does have tax exempt status and they have a good lawyer but like you said, my case isn't very straightforward given my lack of degree and the new role I'll be taking up in the US. This is why I'm trying to explore my options on my own.

Can I ask you, though, how you would apply for PR status from R visa? What is the process like and what processing times are you looking at?

Thanks
We've just started applying for PR status, I don't know how long it will take.

If the job offer is genuine, and they have a lawyer as you say, then why aren't you asking them these questions? You'll never find a definitive answer on the internet.

When you speak to them ask if they have any experience processing non-immigrant visas, find out what the lawyer says and let us know, then we'll have something to work with.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
P.S: You have to convince the Embassy that America can't find a person like you, hence the reason for you going there. If you case is simply "I am good and they want me", it normally isn't enough..
The R visa doesn't require labour certification.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:22 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
The R visa doesn't require labour certification.
That's right. Because GOD doesn't need to justify his hiring practices to any damned Department of Labor!

Just what this country needs, another f****ing God-botherer.

EDIT: Oops! Apparently that includes you, Horti! Nothing personal, you understand.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbj1000
That's right. Because GOD doesn't need to justify his hiring practices to any damned Department of Labor!

EDIT: Oops! Apparently that includes you, Horti! Nothing personal, you understand.
no offence taken
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
That's right. Because GOD doesn't need to justify his or her hiring practices to any damned Department of Labor!

....ahem...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.