Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is a Static Mobile Home classified as a “permanent residency?”

Is a Static Mobile Home classified as a “permanent residency?”

Old Jul 10th 2018, 11:59 am
Just Joined

The doc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is a Static Mobile Home classified as a “permanent residency?”

Hi everyone, first posting.

My wife and I are retired and planning on buying a property in Florida. We will be living in our Static Mobile Home for 6 months of the year here in the UK and hopefully 6 months in Florida.

I know we will need to provide proof of a permanent residency here in the UK to meet the Visa requirements; however we will need to sell our home to fund the purchase of the Florida property.

We still have our sons living and working in the UK and they both have their own properties.

Question: Is my Static Mobile Home classified as a “permanent residency” when applying for a B2 visa to prove ties in the UK?

Thank you in advance for any supportive advice.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 12:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a Static Mobile Home classified as a “permanent residency?”

So you currently own 2 homes? One of which you'll be selling, and the other one you'll be living in when you're back in the UK?

As long as your mobile home has a street address, I'd say it's fine. Many, many people live in mobile homes here in Arizona and they are just like any other home.

Make sue you understand any US tax implications of staying a full 180 days in the USA each year. You might want to adjust your time to be 5 months in USA, 7 months in the UK.

Rene
Old Jul 10th 2018, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You might also want to ask this question in the Moving Back to the UK forum. While you aren't moving back to the UK, those folks who are residing in the UK, many of whom are living 6 months minus a few days in the US (so that you are not walking into a minefield of tax implications in the US, would be able to answer this question for you as to UK residency requirements.

Static or not, a mobile home would be considered a primary residence, to my way of thinking, if you have no other address and your mail, government benefits, etc. are all sent and received at that address.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

The doc is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning Rene and thank you for the prompt reply.
I will take on board your advice regarding our time spent in the USA.
I will also supply any further update regarding the progress of our planned move.

Many thanks
Old Jul 10th 2018, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Makes me wonder how youwill take care of health costs if you need to sell your house.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Make sue you understand any US tax implications of staying a full 180 days in the USA each year. You might want to adjust your time to be 5 months in USA, 7 months in the UK.
Rene
SPT is even worse than this, you have to take into account 3 tax years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substantial_Presence_Test

"The total of (number of days present in the tax year) + (1/3)(number of days in the year before the tax year) + (1/6)(number of days in the year two years before the tax year) must[4] be at least 183."
Old Jul 10th 2018, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Makes me wonder how youwill take care of health costs if you need to sell your house.
Makes me wonder what you are talking about.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 5:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
That discussion is for the US Trailer Park forum...not this forum...but it is something the OP needs to look into very carefully.