Are the states right for us?

Old May 9th 2007, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Chugs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are the states right for us?

My wife and I are desperate to leave the UK. We both work for British Gas in a call centre environment as managers and we realise this probably isn't the best employment history to get us work abroad but we're determined.
I'm posting this message on a couple of boards and am asking for honest, straightforward feedback from people because we're not too fussy where we go so long as its out of here!

1. We want somewhere where it's not too hard to fit in and assimilate to a community.

2. We're both in our early 20's and hard working, looking to start a family so obviously we don't want somewhere where we're going to get shot! And we want somewhere nice for our children to grow up

Can anyone help?
Old May 9th 2007, 5:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the states right for us?

Here are the nine ways of immigrating to the USA:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...07&postcount=2

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 9th 2007, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chugs
My wife and I are desperate to leave the UK. We both work for British Gas in a call centre environment as managers and we realise this probably isn't the best employment history to get us work abroad but we're determined.
I'm posting this message on a couple of boards and am asking for honest, straightforward feedback from people because we're not too fussy where we go so long as its out of here!

1. We want somewhere where it's not too hard to fit in and assimilate to a community.

2. We're both in our early 20's and hard working, looking to start a family so obviously we don't want somewhere where we're going to get shot! And we want somewhere nice for our children to grow up

Can anyone help?
haha best of luck and i don't suggest you try texas then
Old May 9th 2007, 5:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the States as you'll never get a suitable visa.
Old May 9th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?
unless you fit any of these criterias I think you will find it very hard to get to the US on what you have said

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old May 9th 2007, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?
As others have suggested, I think the US is out... or, at least, beyond reach at this point in time. If it was me, I'd start with one of the Commonwealth countries... Canada (top of my list), Oz, and NZ. They're the most similar in culture to the UK, and fairly easy with respect to assimilation. Of course, there are 50+ Commonwealth countries from which to choose... but these'll get you started.

Ian
Old May 9th 2007, 5:47 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in your early 20s and willing to retrain for a highly skilled position that would qualify you for an H-1B, or you have a rich uncle with a large company with a US branch that you could transfer to.... you won't get in.

Any particular reason why you think you *might* like the US? Low crime and family-friendly policies are not the norm here.

If you want to relocate soon Australia may be the way to go because there is a considerable backlog for Canada -- more than Oz. If I were in my early 20s without kids, I'd look at living somewhere in the EU!

--American married to a Dutch guy
Old May 9th 2007, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the OP is willing to go anywhere...he's posted the same message in the Oz, NZ, Canadian and Irish forums.
Old May 9th 2007, 5:52 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Does he say anywhere why he's "desperate" to leave the UK?
Old May 9th 2007, 6:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Does he say anywhere why he's "desperate" to leave the UK?
No...they are all identical to this one.
Old May 9th 2007, 6:23 pm
GeekBoy

Tired of the Islamic Republic of Londistan, eh?

"Chugs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
> My wife and I are desperate to leave the UK. We both work for British
> Gas in a call centre environment as managers and we realise this
> probably isn't the best employment history to get us work abroad but
> we're determined.
> I'm posting this message on a couple of boards and am asking for honest,
> straightforward feedback from people because we're not too fussy where
> we go so long as its out of here!
>
> 1. We want somewhere where it's not too hard to fit in and assimilate to
> a community.
>
> 2. We're both in our early 20's and hard working, looking to start a
> family so obviously we don't want somewhere where we're going to get
> shot! And we want somewhere nice for our children to grow up
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> --

Old May 9th 2007, 6:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeekBoy
Tired of the Islamic Republic of Londistan, eh?

"Chugs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
> My wife and I are desperate to leave the UK. We both work for British
> Gas in a call centre environment as managers and we realise this
> probably isn't the best employment history to get us work abroad but
> we're determined.
> I'm posting this message on a couple of boards and am asking for honest,
> straightforward feedback from people because we're not too fussy where
> we go so long as its out of here!
>
> 1. We want somewhere where it's not too hard to fit in and assimilate to
> a community.
>
> 2. We're both in our early 20's and hard working, looking to start a
> family so obviously we don't want somewhere where we're going to get
> shot! And we want somewhere nice for our children to grow up
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> --
Yep -- everyone's heading for your trailer park, Geek boy.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Chugs is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest the Londonistan comment is spot on that is why we're looking to move, call it racist if you will but you dont live where I do. And yes I have tried several other rooms too, thanks very much for the comments though guys they are very helpful.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

To be honest the Londonistan comment is spot on that is why we're looking to move, call it racist if you will but you dont live where I do. And yes I have tried several other rooms too, thanks very much for the comments though guys they are very helpful.
but then you will become an immigrant if you leave the uk
Old May 9th 2007, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- everyone's heading for your trailer park, Geek boy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.